Animating A Picture - Need Advice/Suggestion/Help

kR1pt0n1t3

Dec 31, 2017
So, I found a picture on the internet and want to animate it.
As you can see it doesn't look that well.

Basically, I need suggestions from people that understand animation more than I do.

Currently, the animation is only 7 frames and I did everything manually by hand.
I cleared the background and manually added and moved elements on each frame.
Should I add more frames? I want the animation to be as smooth as possible.

What's the best program to do animation?
I would love if there a program that tracks the movement of each sperm cell since I did it manually here and it doesn't look that good.

EDIT:
Not sure if this is the right forum for it, if it's not, admin please move it.
Wanted to put it inside troubleshooting but accidentally I put it in the discussion... Sry...

Three

Aug 30, 2018
What's your goal here? RPGmaker animation (picture sequence), video (webm) or actual animation?

Flash is the classic program. Maya is complete overkill here, not free and a bitch to use. You could also have a look at a free game engine like Unity or Godot. They have proper animation and particle tools. Then you can add one sperm sprite as a particle and make them converge to the middle and record it. I recommend Godot for this by the way. Unity is way too bloated while Godot is a simple 20 MB download without registration.

kR1pt0n1t3

Dec 31, 2017
My goal is somewhat animate the picture to my best abilities and in the process of doing so hopefully learn something.

This above is the original picture. What I wanted to do is animate is. To that goal, I cut out every sperm cell and patched the background to my best abilities.

Now I'm looking for a software, technique or something that will allow me to animate the movements of the sperm cells.
I tried putting sperm cells back frame by frame as you can see on the gif in the first post but it looks clunky.

Since the sperm cells are static I obviously can't animate the tail movement so, between each frame, I mirrored each sperm cells to somehow attempt to make it seem like its wiggling.

My highest goal would be to make a smooth animation like on the picture below but that's probably not going to happen anything soon since my skills are pretty low but maybe with more knowledge and practice someday I'll be able to do it.

For started I'm looking for tips and guidelines. What software should I use? Is there a technique involving animation that might be useful when doing something like this?

I tried various 2D animation programs but it's not going as I planned. I'll try now downloading Godot and see how it goes with it.

Thx for reply.

Last edited:

kR1pt0n1t3

Dec 31, 2017
I downloaded Godot and put in the empty background and animated one cell to move from point A to point B.

Is it possible to say make it so the sperm cell is mirrored every 2 frames so it appears it's wriggling somewhat?

Maybe there's some other way/better way for that?

Right now it looks like someone is dragging a non-moving object from A to B :(

kR1pt0n1t3

Dec 31, 2017
So I've done the animation in Godot now, but how to I export it into a set of images, spreadsheet or gif?