Alternatives to Daz3d

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
I plan on covering the whole Diffeomorphic workflow in my dev articles, but they're patron-only. (Although I have no doubt they may "fall off the back of a truck" and end up here anyway.)

Still, I pretty much invented geometry node geografts in Diffeomorphic, and much of what I came up with is publicly available anyway, so I could give you some help if you need it.
1655843344057.png

He aint bluffing!

PashafromRussia

Aug 18, 2019
The new unreal engine can be an alternative to DAZ. It contains about 16 000 free assets, it is convenient to adjust the light and work with materials. It is perfect for developers who like open and large spaces. DAZ developers are already transferring their models to Unreal Engine 5.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Leeduva

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
The new unreal engine can be an alternative to DAZ. It contains about 16 000 free assets, it is convenient to adjust the light and work with materials. It is perfect for developers who like open and large spaces. DAZ developers are already transferring their models to Unreal Engine 5.
Not sure where that large/smaller spaces dichotomy come from. Like yeah it's kinda easy to make large level with UE, but it will do smaller/interior ones just fine. That said, still, you will need an animation pipeline somewhere (if animations you need), you don't want to animate long sequences directly into UE. That's where things got way more sloppy, depending what kind of scope you have in mind imo. It's also involve a lot(!) more pre-production work than you daily Daz/Renpy routine. You need to make it worth it.

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
In none of those 16000 free assets, there is no pussy or dick.

If we can't get an rtx30** graphics card for all players tomorrow, it means that no one will be able to use those amazing UE5 features.

Yes UE5 will change the rules of making games. One day, I would love to convert my project from UE4 to UE5. However, my project, which currently gives 60 FPS, can hardly see 30 fps in UE5.

Or simply, for now UE5 was too big to handle we need better, cheapher hardware.

May 23, 2020
There is a bridge between Daz and Blender.
I created this character in DAZ with genesis 8.1 and brought it to Blender to apply the final touches (the render is done in Blender).
overview.png

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
There is a bridge between Daz and Blender.
I created this character in DAZ with genesis 8.1 and brought it to Blender to apply the final touches (the render is done in Blender).
With all due respect; a skin is not just an albedo/diffuse map and hit the render button.
It more likely need extra proper, basic work; whatever Daz bridge or Diffeo import.

It's utterly bland even with the nearly absent lightening.

>the render is done in Blender

You don't say.
I think most people have zero understanding of what they are trying to transfert or I don't get it.
Like really. Pls help me. And Cycle doesn't deserve this ffs.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Ok since one day I gonna &b for good.

Since I'm here muh Daz/Blender shot, it's been ~3~4 years of this :

brave_pPJpeU76o1.png

EVERY.SINGLE.FUCKING.TIME

I can't anymore.
Like jesus for the love of god please stop.

May 23, 2020
That was the result I wanted to achieve.
If you're looking for an ultra-realistic result you can't rely on the nodes that come with the Diffeomorphic addon. To get the same results as Iray and look the same as in DAZ you must use NVIDIA omniverse.
Personally, I don't like the results of DAZ.
* Don't use denoise if it's a portrait.
I am also building my own PBR.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
If you're looking for an ultra-realistic result you can't rely on the nodes that come with the Diffeomorphic addon. To get the same results as Iray and look the same as in DAZ you must use NVIDIA omniverse.
I have no_name on ignore for low effort shitposting but I can take a guess what they said.

Iray in Daz Studio uses an older, shittier color space called sRGB designed for CRT monitors. Blender uses a wider color space called filmic that looks washed out and pale but preserves more color data for tonemapping. It's the thing the Blender Guru made his video about telling people to switch to filmic Blender.

Though I tonemap anyway, a few days ago I learned the materials created by the Diffeomorphic importer don't even attempt to look "better" in filmic. What you get is like an Iray render if Daz Studio supported filmic. I advised the Diffeo devs to write a blog post explaining the result on import is conversion between color spaces, not a flaw in the material nodes, and they expect you to tonemap the image yourself rather than just "look like Iray".

Though you should use filmic for final renders since it has more color data, to compare materials in Blender with Iray you need to crush the colors into sRGB's narrow range. That will give the skin more vivid saturation and higher contrast by default.

Go to Color Management at the bottom of the render settings. Switch from Filmic to Standard (that's sRGB). Import your figure and the default Daz HDRI and tweak the exposure, gamma, contrast until the skydome colors match. Then you have a more accurate reference point to compare the skin materials.

The material conversion isn't perfect. The Iray render has a nicer sheen and more light around the edges. But now that our results are in Iray's (shittier, more limited) color space it's easier to spot the differences and tune them. Then you bring it back up into filmic to give yourself more color precision for rendering and tonemapping.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Personally, I don't like the results of DAZ.
* Don't use denoise if it's a portrait.
I am also building my own PBR.
Again it's not against you, I just need to vent in the void a bit.

Omniverse ain't gonna help you here, not sure why it's here, yes it uses Iray but that's about it (Maybe with iClone bridge is what you mean?). You can actually rely on Diffeo nodes (BSDF), especially for critical UberShader layers like Dual lobe or Top Coat. I think Thomas & co done more than a wonderful job, and to be honest didn't think it was possible (it's quite close, not perfect, but quite close imho). But everything goes to waste if you have no clue why it's there, how it works and why it works.

FYI, this is Daz/Uber result on a 16k(!) polys mesh.
What you like and dislike doesn't really matter, everybody got a pair of eyes (I would prefer not lol).

zzzz.jpg

And the moron who talk about color space. Lmao. How fucking tone deaf people are, I'm dying. Should increase the bump by almost 10 or 100 now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Gonna write fantastic adventure of rendering vol.1 before we got another year of top notch Daz/Blender renders (I can't anymore).

You never want to hard increase bump. Like never ever.
And ofc has nothing to do with color management (lol).

Instead you got what called a Top Coat.
It's a specularity layer, like gloss, dual lobe, metallic flake and so on.
But that one on the top of everything else (hence the name tho).

Good thing it's like it can work in concert with two maps :
Normal or Bump.

Normal, meh, most Daz skin ain't detailled/baked at sufficient level (can work with micro tiles tho).
Bump map can be another story tho. Pure reflectivity or fresnel is up to you.
It can help a lot to levrage the kind of plasticity you need for a skin.

Sorry for shit render but it should looks more obvious :

1111.jpg .

Last edited:

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Oaks_Test_05.png

Ue4.27, rtx 3060, more than 30 fps in editor.

This mesh has more than 400 morphs for face, body, genitals and age. (yes it can be getting older).

It has more than 100 preset for body and Face, lots of skins, hairs eye colors. Also has tons of clothes which can use any of those settings.

Also, it has lots of face expressions and for extra, it has good blowjob morphs.

and I'm not 3d expert and/or I did not create any lights or materials and now I can create 100 of different female characters.

All thanks to Daz3d Genesis 8 Framework.

of course it not the BEST and I do not give a damn. For my project this was good enough.

Reactions: Leeduva

WarpedGaming

Sep 4, 2022
My personal workflow, as far as VNs go, is Blender's main program and Daz as my character development tool and I use Diffeo as the exporter over to Blender. That's about it really.

Only time I will be using Daz is when I start selling assets on Daz Store and Renderocity.