After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
I actually ran into the same problem in an unreleased game I was making and took a page from Alexis Kennedy about not needing to do a lot of callback to "player preferences and customization" in general, just enough to show you care.

So I started adding hidden variables in certain choices to keep track of some generic preferences, and after a "trigger point" added a small peppering of lines here and there to reference them, including gender preference. I saw it implemented much better in Disco Elysium with the copotypes, where there isn't actually a lot of content around them, but people notice when there is.

So, completely with you on keeping it as vague as possible to make writing and branching easier, and agree explicit gender-preference scoring is pretty iffy especially since the player knows what they want, but it's not that hard to give some mild references and it can have a lot of impact on players, even if it's just leaning the bisexuality slightly on one direction or another with a few well placed conditional paragraphs. Still, completely right in wanting to avoid going far down that path, content is hard and there is no reason to repeat yourself if you don't have to.
This was something I considered at length, even on the small scale, I just decided against it. In this case, it isn't the programming and work that is the problem, I've already put a ton of variables in for this type of stuff, like if you saved Jeffrey, you'll get a ton of extra thoughts and text about it. It is the fact that I didn't want to cut off content based on arbitrary choices about being a lesbian, bisexual or straight - it was easier to just leave it up to the player's imagination. If I put in the preference variable, but they fuck a dude, then it kind of breaks the immersion a little bit unless I talk about how she actually hates taking dick. But the thing is here, I'm treading on thin ice to keep the PC as close to how a person wants to play it as possible, so I went with giving the player choice and letting them act like they want, within a certain degree.

To be honest, I was even hesitant with the three choices at the start, but I couldn't see another way to do all these different storylines without the entire thing falling apart under the sheer weight. It also gives people their preference, some people just want MC/Hypno/TF and all that other stuff, so it falls under science, some people just want their character to be a slut who fucks her way to what she wants and some want some fairly violent rape. Character consistency is kind of important to me, as I said, this game is standing on the shoulders of the old RAGs games, the ones I liked had distinct and fairly consistent characters.

Thanks for the feedback, I do keep it all in mind and I'm gonna add two lesbian encounters to the diplomat path in the prologue with the Ch 1 release. I was hesitant to make Earth slutty for narrative and pacing reasons,(I've even removed the prostitutes' from the inn) which is why it is relatively light on the sexual content. I've added an encounter with an old school friend at the translink station and one of your mentors at the diplomatic corps for some more MILF action.

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
Good looking actresses will always be featured in multiple games.
RAGS had Liz Vicious, QSP had Riley Reid, Twine has Little Caprice.
I had another actress in mind, but I couldn't find any resources when it came to BDSM style stuff. Even with Caprice, I am using artistic license and the right angles, but there is a limit to what you can do. Then about 5 or 6 other games in the past few months have used her and I was too far along.

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
Nothing major, but I thought that the way I did a lot of the communication stuff and questions in the prologue was very poor, it as a left over from the first versions where I was using "linkreplace" too much because I wasn't as skilled - so I decided in the next chapter this way was more effective in certain scenarios and I'll use a pop over for many of the options from now on, like in the CommNet screens. It looks way better and I'll probably be able to add a bit more detail. I'll being going back to the prologue and fixing this type of stuff so it is consistent with the later parts when I can.

Reactions: khorrl

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
Just another small update and teaser. This stuff will be available in the hub in the Spacedock, before the meat of the story of the chapter begins, which will be a little more linear. I'll post more on Patreon sometime next week, but I felt pretty good about writing this. One of them is going to be a homage to a game you might know that helped inspire this one!

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Just another small update and teaser. This stuff will be available in the hub in the Spacedock, before the meat of the story of the chapter begins, which will be a little more linear. I'll post more on Patreon sometime next week, but I felt pretty good about writing this. One of them is going to be a homage to a game you might know that helped inspire this one!
Didn't Alice mention going to a holosuite to have some fun with her? It definitely sounds like fun, and if her acting out is because she doesn't have a body maybe it would do her some good to blow off some steam too.

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
Didn't Alice mention going to a holosuite to have some fun with her? It definitely sounds like fun, and if her acting out is because she doesn't have a body maybe it would do her some good to blow off some steam too.
Like I said earlier, when I've had a character say something or something has been shown, it is likely to foreshadow future content :)

To be honest, I wasn't expecting to put holosuites in at this stage, but I think they fit in perfectly at this stage and they're a flexible concept that I can revisit later on in the game, I was struggling with some content in this chapter when it came to the exploration/sandbox parts of it but I'm pretty happy with how it is coming along. Again, I don't want to blow my load, so there will be a bit of blue balls with these holosuites but it'll make sense in game and build up to the future.

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
One area I'm open to suggestions on, in particular, is the diplomacy/speech path. I think the content on the military/science path is increasingly easy, especially with the science path due to ALICE. Diplomacy/speech, as far as puzzles and ideas go, is basically just lots of dialogue or using sexual persuasion if you can't be bothered with the dialogue. The main is lots of exclusive areas where your character is pretty openly slutty, I might just change the entire thing to make it clear that your time as a junior diplomat led to you being particularly perverted, training to use sex as a weapon and getting into all sorts of kinks as a result.

LtCmdrData

Jul 15, 2019
Training to use sex as a weapon for the diplomacy path sounds like a great in-universe way to explain the MC in-game.

As to future content, do you have a long-term plan on how the game will end up? Am I correct in assuming that there will be something to do with a bio-weapon from alien genetic material that your dad and the government was a part of that threatens the existence of the solar system?

*cough The Expanse cough*

Also, am I correct in assuming this bio-weapon will somehow be administered to the MC but instead of zombifying her will turn her into a super-human?

*cough Resident Evil cough*

Also, am I correct in assuming there will be a lot of kinky sex scenes?

*cough F95 Zone cough*

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
Training to use sex as a weapon for the diplomacy path sounds like a great in-universe way to explain the MC in-game.

As to future content, do you have a long-term plan on how the game will end up? Am I correct in assuming that there will be something to do with a bio-weapon from alien genetic material that your dad and the government was a part of that threatens the existence of the solar system?

*cough The Expanse cough*

Also, am I correct in assuming this bio-weapon will somehow be administered to the MC but instead of zombifying her will turn her into a super-human?

*cough Resident Evil cough*

Also, am I correct in assuming there will be a lot of kinky sex scenes?

*cough F95 Zone cough*
Expanse is definitely a primary inspiration, but as far as writing goes, I always liked how JMS approached Babylon 5 where he had a plan, but if things didn't work out, he had another avenue to approach. But you're along the right lines, but not quite there, there is an inspiration with The Expanse for the means but the "canon" end I have in mind is quite different, but also similar. Somehow. It'll make sense in later chapters, but I might drop more hints in Chapter 2. As for the sex scenes and bad ends, they'll get kinkier and more creative the further away from Earth you get, which is by design, as I don't want to throw in transformation, vore, mind control etc on Earth for reasons already stated, the stuff with slavery was already pushing the envelope a bit on what I wanted, but I felt it worked with the hints that there was still a "ruling class" of tech zillionaires, despite Earth's relative equality and living standards. I also will be adding a "playable" game over state to the Teacher Jenny ending for the next release, which will just involve you being subjected to various torture methods before submitting.

Thank you for your kind words and interest :)

Reactions: shioxu

LtCmdrData

Jul 15, 2019
No problem! I haven't been this excited for a F95 game in a very long time. A lot of them often get abandoned after a year so I hope that you'll be able to complete the game before that happens! I've modded other games before so I know how it can get disheartening after a few weeks and your motivation can decrease. I'd be more than willing to help you out with creating, spell checking, finding images, or whatever else you need in order to keep your motivation up there and help complete your game. A Discord would be super helpful in this regard, so hopefully you'll be able to make one in the future!

Also, did you say vore? :unsure:

After Colony

Game Developer
Mar 2, 2021
No problem! I haven't been this excited for a F95 game in a very long time. A lot of them often get abandoned after a year so I hope that you'll be able to complete the game before that happens! I've modded other games before so I know how it can get disheartening after a few weeks and your motivation can decrease. I'd be more than willing to help you out with creating, spell checking, finding images, or whatever else you need in order to keep your motivation up there and help complete your game. A Discord would be super helpful in this regard, so hopefully you'll be able to make one in the future!

Also, did you say vore? :unsure:
It's good to hear :)

I try to write at least a passage or two every day, but sometimes I have to come up with a decent enough puzzle or make it more interactive. I also won't put a release date on anything, until I'm close. Why? Well a perfect example is the current chapter. I was struggling with some ideas on how to make this chapter more open, so decided that the first part would be a "hub" with stuff to do. Then that led to various shops. Then I thought - why not a holosuite? Which then turned into a full blown adventure in itself and will pop up again in the future. There are sex scenes in these holosuites, but they're the safer, more vanilla holosuites, so I didn't add that many sex scenes (there are still three, possibly four, available in the holosuite alone). There is a lot of foreshadowing in this chapter as well, specifically two with mind control. I'm hoping to have the "upper levels" finished by the weekend and start on the "lower levels" which would be another freight area, hotel and desks with information.

One thing I decided not to do was retread what I did in the previous chapter, where you're acquiring money and working jobs to buy a ticket. So I'll probably remove the items from the prologue you gained after buying the ticket. Chapter 3 may have a money system of sorts, but it'll be separate to what you have in the prologue anyway. Ch3 is the most ambitious and longest part of the game, as of now. It could also possibly become a Ch4, we'll see, as I'd like to visit Mars. I'm concerned about pacing, the reasons you might go there etc etc so I could make it a small chapter - or make it an optional chapter for the diplomat character. Mars is a technocracy, it'd be neat to explore, but I envisioned it still as a fairly civilized and more advanced than Earth, if tough place to live. I'm leaning towards it being a smaller chapter on the way to Ceres, which would bump Ceres to Ch 4, but we'll see. A society ran by technocrats who often come up with logical but completely inhumane solutions, especially when it comes to off worlders, is certainly an idea that I'm interested in.

Necrosian

Jul 26, 2017
Damn, this was unexpectedly good. My only real complains are the text color(dark colors on dark background are somewhat hard to read) and bit where you have to get money for the space ticket(would be great to see how much i have). Otherwise i like everything so far.

Edit:

Forgot to ask, is there any incest content planed?

3.50 star(s) 6 Votes