Tool Others ActionEditor 4 Editor backups

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
Hey all,

Apparently, the developer for the game engine ActionEditor 4, (AE4, アクションエディター4, or アクエディ4 used by some circles in the Japanese community) had their site go bunk at the top of 2022. The last thing they did was release ver 1020 of their engine around 2020, and after that they went totally radio silent. There's very few existing mirrors for it (only one I know of, on a dedicated to the engine) so I figured I'd post it here for safekeeping.
I also have older versions laying around on my PC that can be used for localization or general faffing about with any games made with the engine. Simply drop ONLY the Editor_vXXX.exe into a folder with the same version number as the base game (if applicable) and run the Editor EXE and it will load the game in a editable state. Otherwise, you can use the full RARs to create your own games. (Given you speak Japanese and want to do as such. Though this is also predicated on if there's even guides left, a thing I'll have to look into down the line.)

Important Notes:
  • I can't guarantee that swapping the Editor versions around with each other (E.g.: Replacing the Editor_v1020.exe with Editor_v905.exe in the full release v1020 work folder) will work or not, as I haven't tried to actually make games with the engine, as I don't speak Japanese. However, you're welcome to try, but expect that you may not see issues on first blush. Nor would I know what those issues might come to look like, or when they might show up.
  • Additionally, I am unsure if using a NEWER Editor version for a game made with an older version might break things for said game. This is something you can feel free to try as well, if you want. But you should make backups, and expect any sort of wackiness. Ideally, you'd use the exact version of the Editor the game was made with. Each game file is appended with the Editor version number in it (E.g.: Stage1.stg4_905) so you can know easily which version to use.
  • This engine is COMPLETELY in Japanese. It was developed as a free engine by one person in Japan. I don't know how to tear it apart to rebuild it in English, nor do I really have the time for such as is. Anyone is welcome to have a crack at it, though!

If you, by any mysterious chance, have ANY versions not listed in this OP PLEASE feel free to upload a copy of either the full editor version or just the Editor exe alone. Either would go a long way for any games that might need translation! And I will HAPPILY add your links to the OP so we can keep this engine around in a way that might help down the line!

Full Editor versions (blank slate to make your own games with)

Editor EXE solo (to edit already finished games)

Alternative versions
Syokusyu has uploaded extra versions for 890b, 903, 914, and 966 here.
(These come with pre-developed assets for the Japanese BBS of the engine. Resulting in mildly higher file size.
They are not clear for redistribution in a game by any 3rd party.)

Last edited:

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
Extra info post placeholder. I will add basic use guides/basic info here as I make them/resurface them.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MawOfSus

MawOfSus

Sep 5, 2022
Finally, I have found it... after searching for so long

Edit: Wait, I think the links are broken...

Last edited:

MawOfSus

Sep 5, 2022
If you're able to update the links, I would be very thankful, since I have been trying to translate a game myself as well.

MawOfSus

Sep 5, 2022
After some searching I have found mirrors for and

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
If you're able to update the links, I would be very thankful, since I have been trying to translate a game myself as well.
Links updated, thanks for the notification.
Also, there are no "text files" to find to translate, as well. It works like RPG Maker engines, where each map has its own events. Where text usually is inside those events. It also does depend on developers, and how they want to do things. But generally speaking, you have events, event palettes that hold those events either locally or globally which can be used to copy+paste events map to map which will duplicate any sub-events map to map, etc. It also goes far deeper than that, depending on developer creativity/mastery over the engine.
If you want, dm me the name of the game/link me a download of the game you're looking to start at and I can poke around and give some extra info on it.

MawOfSus

Sep 5, 2022
Ah, so that's probably why I couldn't find anything like that. Most of my translating experience is with RPG maker, WolfRPG, and Unity. I did find the stages/maps with tiles that has a background, item, entity, etc.
I guess I'll look for events and whatever text there is, thanks for the heads up. I don't think the game I'm looking at is on F95 Zone, it's 異形の箱庭Lycoris by elf_chaen.

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
Ah, so that's probably why I couldn't find anything like that. Most of my translating experience is with RPG maker, WolfRPG, and Unity. I did find the stages/maps with tiles that has a background, item, entity, etc.
I guess I'll look for events and whatever text there is, thanks for the heads up. I don't think the game I'm looking at is on F95 Zone, it's Atypical Garden Lycoris by elf_chaen.
Ah, interesting. I believe I found it, through some sources.
And I will spoil HALF your fun, unless you already knew this, which you may have. The 1.0.1 ver has an ENG translation, but not one for 2.0.1. So this would be an interesting project for starting on your first time.

(Pass is the first letter of each word in the eng title, all caps)

This engine isn't too far from the core concepts of RPG Maker like I mentioned before; it's just free, isn't in English, and doesn't have a "database" of "global events" in the style of RPG Maker. But other than that it's like riding the same ol RPGM bike. You just have to get around the language block, and then you'll probably feel right at home.

The game isn't super messy after some poking around, but it also isn't the neatest I've seen. So your update work "probably won't" be the hardest. However, after poking around with it, the v2 version is updated to the 991 ver of the engine. Which means the 1020 ver is a little too new to run the game for testing while editing. If I knew how to actually EXPORT working exes, this wouldn't be such an issue but as of this moment, I can't say I know how to do that sadly.

MawOfSus

Sep 5, 2022
Thanks, your info is a great help! I'll look through both versions to see how I can translate it. I was also using the 1020 ver to test it as well so I guess that's why it wasn't working

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
Thanks, your info is a great help! I'll look through both versions to see how I can translate it. I was also using the 1020 ver to test it as well so I guess that's why it wasn't working
Small update because I'm stupid, if you unpack the Game_v1020 EXE found in my "full editor version" for 1020, you can run newly edited versions with that for testing with the editor. Just make the game's exe something like "gamename.exe.bak" and it'll default to the 1020 exe.
Now, keep in mind this means you'll have to save those edited vers as new ones (basically just hit "save" immediately, it's just to give it the .stg4_1020 extension compared to whichever version it is now), so you'll wind up with a lot of duplicate files in the stg4 directory. And you'll have to sift through them for rerelease.
You don't have to resave everything as v1020, as the game can handle that on a surface level it seems. (From play testing other games as such. Not something I know is 100% correct.)

Syokusyu

Donor
Aug 7, 2017
TragicSolitude Could you please re-upload v881?

I have scrounged together some other editors from their BBS and included an editor exe i happen to have.
Link includes full* editors of v815, v890b, v903, v966, and v1020
and a 7z with all the loose editor exes together, including v914.

*I'm not sure if the people at the BBS added or removed anything, so use at your own discretion.

TragicSolitude

Jan 3, 2019
TragicSolitude Could you please re-upload v881?

I have scrounged together some other editors from their BBS and included an editor exe i happen to have.
Link includes full* editors of v815, v890b, v903, v966, and v1020
and a 7z with all the loose editor exes together, including v914.

*I'm not sure if the people at the BBS added or removed anything, so use at your own discretion.
The people on the BBS absolutely included a lot of extra stuff.
I was wondering why your downloads were so large compared to the official release versions, but apparently these 100MB+ versions you have are BBS community versions that they used to run competitions, or make shared "BBS only" games with.
I'm half considering stripping away some of this extra stuff for my own backup sake, just due to size alone.

Either way, thanks for nabbing a couple more versions. Updating my op to fix broken links.