VN Ren'Py "A Study of Scarlet" Development Journal - Hogrocket

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
since no one been a dumbass and asked it yet, update when?
HulkSmashCrabs.gif

The lazy dev is too busy milking his Patrons and making excuses to be bothered with game development. The update will be out sometime around February 29, 2025.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In all honesty, since I was months into development of my "real" game when things went sideways and this was just a concept; I'm really just starting development. I have a LOT more knowledge now, and this isn't intended to be a deep, thought provoking, life changing game. I'm shooting for an initial release of something in the fall. Unfortunately I am, as we say in the South, "up to my ass in alligators" right now and won't have as much free time as I will starting in August. Of course I was planning a release of the other game by February of this year :rolleyes::cautious:

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Ok, the scene with Spurlock holding the picture is the result of a complete story shift that popped into my head last night. This also lead to the masked woman I labeled as the villain. In that drowsy state of waking up this morning I had another complete shift that makes it even better and totally different. The "villain" woman may become a non-villain, the villain has shifted, the story is better. To be honest the original idea had no villain until my first epiphany, then the second one. Villainy, conflict and strife are not going to be big parts of this, I'm not trying to end up on the Story First Games thread with this one. Having an antagonist will make this more "Sherlock Holmes" like, but will not interfere with meeting hot redheads :love: . I need to go write some of this shit down before I forget it.
I'm not going to post everytime I make a story change, because I'd be spending more time on a "change log" on here than actually developing.

Short version: Ignore what I said before, it's all irrelevant until I get a storyline locked in my head.

Long version: Ignore what I said before, it's all irrelevant until I get a storyline locked in my head. Some of the villains I've come up with are only good for one joke, not the whole story. I'm working on a more cohesive, but still short, story; not just a two scene Sherlock Holmes joke.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Photomanipulation study

Using a Tardis to test a Tardis-like effect of "bigger on the inside"

Tardis Front Door Closed.jpg Tardis Front Door gate Closed.jpg Tardis Front Door gate Half Open.jpg Tardis Front Door gate open.jpg
Tardis Man Combined 01-01.png Tardis Man 002-02.png Tardis Man 01-04.jpg

No true background doesn't bring the effect out as well, but I'm figuring out what works in my graphics program.

For reference, here is the elevator that is "inside" the Tardis, next to the Tardis
Tardis Elevator Comparison.jpg

From the inside, back wall of Tardis cut away
Tardis Elevator Comparison02.jpg

Probably will not get used this fashion in this game but the same concept works looking through a doorway from a street that has no interiors, to an interior space like an office or house that has no exterior. A problem with most Daz assets :rolleyes:

It's quite time consuming so couldn't be used much in actual game production. This simple scene has taken me about 8-10 hours of experimentation. Figuring out the best way to do it will save time later, but still something I don't want to do a lot of

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Part of the reason I was working on what I just posted.....
ezgif.com-video-to-gif (1).gif

I either have a plot that only works for one girl (no choosing, literally one girl) or it's worse than WVM. Have to find the middle ground.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Doing some scene layout. Did a couple of render tests. Decided to get cute and make the two into a gif. Also on OP
PirateDockTransition.gif

Edit:
This is a pic of the array of assets it took to get that scene. Some of it is to cover the horizon in a different shotWithout all that water the horizon was WAY too close.
Arial View Pirate Pier.png

Last edited:

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
To be fair, I think we should apply the same treatment to Vidal the king of Pervert, against his non-sense about rich bitch blonde preference and restrictive monogamy.
:D
He's going to be disappointed anyway - all the LI's are redheads, the only blondes will be hookers, pirates and criminals, the only rich girl is a redhead, and I don't write bitches very well. I will make a solo path available if it's not too much work. Might make the only solo path with this MIL......F?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Warscared

Jan 26, 2021
To be fair, I think we should apply the same treatment to Vidal the king of Pervert, against his non-sense about rich bitch blonde preference and restrictive monogamy.
:D
dude... like i am not having enough issues,
one of my bitches is going menthal cause a shitload of pictures and videos
of me and her where leaked and she is just around bitching saying i leaked them!
Now how could i leak them? i mean i sold them for a pretty penny,
she was driving me insane about going on vacation
how and where was i suposed to get the money, right?
so i supose the dude i sold them too leaked them, into a payed content site...
when i catch the motherfucker he better pay me those royalties or else...

Last edited:
  • Hey there
Reactions: Cahmon

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Teacher Mode: On

Most AVNs and games look barren because there are usually no people in the background. There are two reasons for this 1) the time and effort involved in making, posing, and placing all the additional characters and 2) The extreme stress this places on the rendering computer making for long render times or even just failure. People like Oceanlab who have massive rendering computers can make beautiful scenes easily (well, as long as they're talented enough like he is) People with lower end computers (like most of us) are limited in a scene. I just learned how to make "billboards", which are a 2D render of a scene, person, or prop that is placed on a flat surface and placed in the scene.

This model file is 626KB and has lots of surfaces to render
ChristianBillboard01.png
by making it a billboard from a render, the file is 404KB, but more importantly has only one surface to render
ChristianBillboard02.png

The drawback to billboards is they can only be used from one point of view (sort of) or you have to make multiple

billboard shown from an angle
ChristianSkewed01.png

This is a render using billboards. Who can guess which ones are the billboards?
PirateBar02.png

Downsides to billboards:
- look like shit up close
- takes some work in Daz and Photoshop (or Corel Paintshop Pro, GIMP, etc)
- have to be positioned carefully and/or make multiple views

Benefits of billboards:
- easy to add background to scene
- workflow is modular
- reusable. Can be put in any scene easily
- Render times are way shorter, and sometimes can render scenes that are unrenderable otherwise

Teacher Mode: off

What does this mean to you? Probably not a damn thing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

It does mean I can make more interesting scenes without waiting hours or crashing Daz. It also means I can do things that would be difficult otherwise. I hate a bar scene like this with the MC and whoever he's talking to being the only people in the scene.

Tired. Going sleepy.

Cahmon

Jul 24, 2021
Who can guess which ones are the billboards?
View attachment 2733674
The blonde bitch behind the bar for sure. Well, at least until you tell me I'm wrong lol

Been going back and forth on eyepatch dude, going to guess he is only because of your comments about using them for background characters. Either way it looks incredibly convincing so good job

Bitch on the left looks like she could be a billboard, difficult to tell. I'm going to guess she is because she looks like she has one cheek on the bench and one cheek floating off the side so that could be to do with billboard placement? I don't know...

Finally, guy with the hat. Looks too natural to be a billboard.

So I'm guessing everyone's a billboard except guy with the hat. I'm full of shit aren't I, just please tell me I'm not 0 for 4 :HideThePain:

Last edited:
Reactions: HogRocket