• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

a question about the forum and one about updates

Cynicaladm

Oct 21, 2020
1) I occasionally see that people "fuzzify" their text to avoid spoilers, instead of using the spoiler tag.
how does one go about doing that? I see the buttons, but not the fuzzy text one.

2) when a dev updates the game in its dedicated thread, you occasionally find the "new version" and occasionally find the "update patch" as an alternative, to avoid having to download thw whole thing from scratch.
my question is.. say you've downloaded the game version 0.7, and there have been versions 0.8 and 0.9, which you have not updated to.. the new release is the V 1.0 version..
an update patch is offered. Does that patch cover everything, or just the update from 0.9 to 1.0? Can I download the patch and expect it to run also the missing bits between 0.7 and 1.0?
My assumption is that I cannot, but I know about programming about as much as I know about kabuki theatre.
so.. in the aforemention example, the correct way of going about it would be to copy the saves folder, install the full updated game and not the patch, and chuck the old version of the game. right?

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Cynicaladm!

Cynicaladm said:
I occasionally see that people "fuzzify" their text to avoid spoilers
You can insert obfuscated text using inline spoilers as explained in BB codes or using the buttons (three dots > checkered flag).

Cynicaladm said:
Does that patch cover everything, or just the update from 0.9 to 1.0?
Generally the patch is valid only from the version that is actually indicated. Let's take for example a patch that can be applied to version 0.9 of a game. In the intention of the developer, the patch will contain all the files needed to fix only version 0.9. What happens if you have version 0.7 instead and want to patch it? It happens that the version 0.8 files, which the developer assumes are there, are actually not there, so if you apply the patch some resources may be missing. As long as it comes to games developed for web pages (HTML tag) at most you miss a few images, with Ren'py you end up with a couple of errors, with Unity and co. you risk not starting the game at all.

Cynicaladm said:
Copy the saves folder, install the full updated game and not the patch, and chuck the old version of the game. right?
Yes, the best approach is to install the full version and port the saves (assuming and not granted that this is possible, always read the developer notes)

Reactions: Cynicaladm