A Payment method built for ''development-hell''

BsGoat

Feb 1, 2019
Let me just first say that despite everything I will and think everyone who's willing and able should keep supporting their favorite developers.

Patreon and similar sites are a great tool for supporting content creators but for game development it has its downsides, the Patreon method incentivizes long development time rather than a ''good'' final product.
In theory ''best'' option for devs (in terms of max profit for the least amount of work) is to make a good and promising foundation to build up a fan base and from that point make the rest of the development take as long time as possible (the longer dev time the more monthly payments)

I don't think most devs deliberately slow-paddles production but the incentive is there. There are a few devs I would argue defiantly do.

On the other hand, things take time and most of these games are made by small/single person teams, and is also probably ''side projects'' that the devs to besides their normal life and work so that dev time is sometimes longer than what one might expect from a trad publisher is understandable and despite my misgivings, I will keep throwing some dollars towards games that pique my interest

moskis22

Nov 26, 2020
You're right, that's why i only purchase completed games, but that way new devs have it rough too

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I mean, it hard to disagree with the OP, but I think people overreacts the "hell" or "milking" factor quite easy.

Let's say that a dev takes 4 mounts to release an update that feels like it could have been done in 2 months, but the dev didn't have any incentive to do it in 2 months. No one is forcing anyone else to support that dev during those 4 months, people can go in and out of his patreon whenever they want at any time. People is only staying those extra 2 months because they feel like the wait is worthy or because they simply like the dev's job and they want to support him regardless of the time in between updates.

Even better, people could ask devs to open sites like Buy Me A Coffee to do one time donations each time they release an update instead of supporting them on Patreon/Subscribestar and if the dev refuses then simply not support him.