A nice idea for game devs to replace Nopy's links

Kionashi

Jul 11, 2021
Since Nopy is dead I was struggling with the other crappy download sites since they heavily limit the speed or the amount of data you can download without paying and that sucks because I have a pretty good internet connection.

But just today I wanted to download this pretty cool game and saw the dev has an Itch.io page and you can download the game for free from there, and that's how I downloaded a 1GB game in 20 seconds , so I was wondering, why don't all the devs that accept and support their games being published here create a developer account on itch.io and host their games there?, that sounds like a no brainer since you don't have to deal with issues like download speeds being limited or other inconveniences.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Since Nopy is dead I was struggling with the other crappy download sites since they heavily limit the speed or the amount of data you can download without paying and that sucks because I have a pretty good internet connection.
I'll be the grumpy old guy here, but who care as long as the speed is decent ?

You'll not die because the game took 5 minutes to be downloaded instead of 20 seconds. And since you've absolutely no obligation to stay put, looking at the game being downloaded, there's surely other things you can do during this time.
At worse be smart and use . You set all the games you want to download, go to sleep, or to works, and when you'll come back to your computer they'll all be downloaded and, if you configure it correctly, they can even have been installed.

Reactions: Baka plays

Kionashi

Jul 11, 2021
I'll be the grumpy old guy here, but who care as long as the speed is decent ?

You'll not die because the game took 5 minutes to be downloaded instead of 20 seconds. And since you've absolutely no obligation to stay put, looking at the game being downloaded, there's surely other things you can do during this time.
At worse be smart and use . You set all the games you want to download, go to sleep, or to works, and when you'll come back to your computer they'll all be downloaded and, if you configure it correctly, they can even have been installed.
holy crap, JDownloader!, I remember it from when I pirated PC games back in the day glad to see it still doing well....Sometimes it ain't 5 minutes though, is more like 2 hours, and while I can do other stuff meanwhile, I will for sure not be able to play that game that day since my gaming time is limited during the weekdays. of course that's still a work around, and that should work just fine fro most people but that's asking more to the people who might want to try that game. I still think the superior version is having an itch.io page and a single download.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017

But just today I wanted to download this pretty cool game and saw the dev has an Itch.io page and you can download the game for free from there, and that's how I downloaded a 1GB game in 20 seconds , so I was wondering, why don't all the devs that accept and support their games being published here create a developer account on itch.io and host their games there?, that sounds like a no brainer since you don't have to deal with issues like download speeds being limited or other inconveniences.
Itch has an upload limit of 1GB unless you contact them asking for more. 1GB is not much. It's not even listed as an approved file host so it won't be added as a download mirror even if the dev has the game for download on itch.

aura-dev

Game Developer
Mar 1, 2021
Itch has an upload limit of 1GB unless you contact them asking for more. 1GB is not much.
This is only true if you use the webinterface instead of their butler tool to upload. With butler, the limit increases to 30 GB.

Reactions: Laikhent

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
This is only true if you use the webinterface instead of their butler tool to upload. With butler, the limit increases to 30 GB.
That's nice. Not saying itch can't be good for devs hosting their game, and many devs are on itch already, but for uploaders here, adding their own mirror links, I don't see it being a replacement for nopy.

aura-dev

Game Developer
Mar 1, 2021
That's nice. Not saying itch can't be good for devs hosting their game, and many devs are on itch already, but for uploaders here, adding their own mirror links, I don't see it being a replacement for nopy.
It isn't. Mostly because you obviously can't put pirated content on there.