Ren'Py A Little Question about Renpy

SoulRipper1990

Dec 22, 2017
I am wondering. Did Renpy changed something ? Because normaly when a Update from a game was posted i downloaded it and just overwrite the old Files and i was able to continue my savegame. But now it doesnt work anymore. I have to make a New Folder. Extract the Download there and Copy over the Savegames.

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
I doubt that's Ren'Py specifically. That can happen if the game had significant changes, e.g. some old files are not in use anymore, important files changed location, etc. Generally, it's a bad idea to overwrite the old files, it's always better to have a new folder for a new update (unless you specifically download an update patch). Also, you shouldn't need to copy your old saves, Ren'Py also has saves in your Users folder, so any Ren'Py game will automatically look up your old saves from there (unless specifically changed by dev which I haven't seen).

Reactions: Carrera

Carrera

Jun 25, 2017
I doubt that's Ren'Py specifically. That can happen if the game had significant changes, e.g. some old files are not in use anymore, important files changed location, etc. Generally, it's a bad idea to overwrite the old files, it's always better to have a new folder for a new update (unless you specifically download an update patch). Also, you shouldn't need to copy your old saves, Ren'Py also has saves in your Users folder, so any Ren'Py game will automatically look up your old saves from there (unless specifically changed by dev which I haven't seen).
Yeah this

NukaCola

Engaged Member
Jul 1, 2017
Isn't there always a backup when you create a new save in Renpy in Appdata/Roaming folder? When you download a new version of a games. Just extract and play. You don't even need copy over the saves folder.