3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

ffk123

Aug 8, 2017
Why is daz so widely used? surely people realize they are playing with dolls instead of actually creating something....

ilyo

Sep 6, 2018
Why is daz so widely used? surely people realize they are playing with dolls instead of actually creating something....
Game creation is already time consuming without the creation of models, making dolls like these would add a lot more to it, from modeling, weight paint, ik setup, uv mapping and texturing.

Also not everyone have the talent to do this quality from scratch.

Reactions: Volta

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
the ability to get acceptable results in a moderate time frame with software that has a far more friendly learning curve than the alternatives, frankly Daz has democratised 3DCG games, can't say that about very many pieces of software.

Reactions: Boogie

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
The buyers of Daz stuff are mainly from US. Yesterday were released the economical statistic for 08.2018 - the average wages were 27.xx US$ per *hour*. Creating from scratch of the most simple model will costs at least couple of hours to an experienced 3D artist. Obviously he can buy several packages for instead of just one model. And secondly - no need to learn something really serious - just point and click.
PS. Just for comparison - I know an artists who spent 2 weeks to make a photo-realistic pair of sneakers. And then he posted them for free on a 3D models site:)

mmmonsterkill

Aug 30, 2016
when i try to render its all just black with a few outlines, i tried adding some lights but doesn't seem to do anything not sure if im adding them correctly or what, anyone got a few tips on how to correct this?

when i did the guided tutorial thing this did not happen, then again that one wasn't in a boxed in room

while im on the subject how do i mess with the faces of the models?

Evic

May 25, 2018
when i try to render its all just black with a few outlines, i tried adding some lights but doesn't seem to do anything not sure if im adding them correctly or what, anyone got a few tips on how to correct this?
You will need to seriously up the lumens of the light source if you're adding default light objects (point and spot). They default at 1500 but you probably need upward of 150,000 or more depending on where the light is. There are tons of daz 3d tutorials on lighting on youtube, it's probably the hardest part to master.

while im on the subject how do i mess with the faces of the models?
Find the shaping tab with the character selected, look for the head and expand that tree. Face morphs are broken into several parts for the eyes, brows, nose, mouth, etc.

Reactions: mmmonsterkill

mmmonsterkill

Aug 30, 2016
You will need to seriously up the lumens of the light source if you're adding default light objects (point and spot). They default at 1500 but you probably need upward of 150,000 or more depending on where the light is. There are tons of daz 3d tutorials on lighting on youtube, it's probably the hardest part to master.

Find the shaping tab with the character selected, look for the head and expand that tree. Face morphs are broken into several parts for the eyes, brows, nose, mouth, etc.
ok thanks :)

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
I want to perform HD morphing in ZBrush for DAZ Studio. But its impossible since some old version. I've found a solution.
You should have (4 years old version)
And DAZ MultiResolution Morph Support plugin on top of it.
All links I've found are dead. Can someone tell me how they perform HD morphing in DAZ nowadays or provide fresh links for those 2 pieces of free but old as shit soft?

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
I want to perform HD morphing in ZBrush for DAZ Studio. But its impossible since some old version. I've found a solution.
You should have (4 years old version)
And DAZ MultiResolution Morph Support plugin on top of it.
All links I've found are dead. Can someone tell me how they perform HD morphing in DAZ nowadays or provide fresh links for those 2 pieces of free but old as shit soft?
This is a russian tracker but it is ok. You probnably will need email too register.

Reactions: P_S_Y_C_H_O

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
Are you sure about it? I mean version is 4.6.0.18.
What about DAZ MultiResolution Morph Support plugin ?

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Are you sure about it? I mean version is 4.6.0.18.
What about DAZ MultiResolution Morph Support plugin ?
Sorry, no idea - but this is the only 4.6xxx version I found for now; but it is only 120 MB and this tracker doesn't demand ratio so it is practically free try.

Edit: Found DAZ Studio 4.0.3.9 PRO on CGPersia

Edit: This site has older stuff too but searching the exact version is PITA. You need free registration to get free download points but the site is OK. The download links are under tab "Blogs"

Edit: BTW - did you ask for a d/l link on the official forum? The ppl there are very friendly.

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
I've been there, they are friendly, but all forums on this topic are filled with complaining about DAZ devs' decision on this plugin and obedience to this policy in the end. All of them end up with smth like 'stop yelling, post is closed'.
This shit was ok 4 years ago. Then they disabled HD morphing for everyone and strated to give this plugin only to their artists. No one have seen it uploaded anywhere since. Ever. I believe there is an 'artists ID code' incripted in each artist's plugin so they will know if somebody upload it and he will have problems afterwards. That's why noone uploads it. And they just keep quiet and don't even bother to visit those forums to explain.

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
Thanks. Downloaded already.
So google found a comment on a forum with another dead link. Forum did not accept registration, but there was a Skype address in siganture under the comment. So I asked the guy to provide new link via skype and here it is
DAZStudio_4.6.2.120_Win64

GoZ DAZ 4.6.2.120(118)

Multi-Resolution Morph Support

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Thanks. Downloaded already.
So google found a comment on a forum with another dead link. Forum did not accept registration, but there was a Skype address in siganture under the comment. So I asked the guy to provide new link via skype and here it is
Gratz!. Share the renders:)

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I've only just started playing around with DAZ, but from what I've noticed so far it looks like to create anything worthwhile you either need to be an artist yourself to create the assets you want from scratch or you have to buy a ton of assets to use. I'm fine with buying assets if I first prove to myself that I'm good enough with Daz to produce anything worthwhile, but until then I'm hoping there are some free assets that would be suitable for just messing around with.

From what I saw with the basic DAZ installation there's only 1 or 2 hairstyles included, there's options for scaling musculature, scaling from emaciated to obese, but not breast/butt size/shape, no genitals, etc. I was happy to see that there are already basic facial expressions included for the basic emotions so I wouldn't have to try and figure out how to distort a face to make it look angry/surprised/etc, although I suspect I'd have to find some additional resources if I want expressions for arousal/etc.

I'd like to have enough options to be able to create some characters with different body shapes, different races, different hairstyles, different clothing, etc. I'm not concerned with environments yet, I can just use the ones that come with DAZ for now. Although I definitely do want to mess around with lighting. I'd mostly be wanting to see if I can put multiple characters into poses that look the way I want with facial expressions that look appropriate for the scene and with realistic looking lighting effects. I would also like to experiment with collisions so for example I would want to see breasts deform in a believable manner when pressed into the floor/couch/wall/etc or when groped by hands or constricted by tight clothing.

Is there such a thing as public domain assets for DAZ? Everything I've seen so far is pay-walled.

I also have a question about something else I just noticed. I'm doing a render right now and I checked my task manager to see what sort of resources I'm using. I expected to see my GPU doing a lot of the work but I see my CPU pegged at 100% and my GPU is only running at 1-10%. It is correctly using my Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, not the integrated graphics GPU (which is sitting at 0% utilization). Is there some option I'm missing that would cause this to be using my CPU instead of my GPU or does my CPU just suck so bad that my GPU doesn't matter? I have an i5-4670.

P_S_Y_C_H_O

therappist
Game Developer
Sep 3, 2018
-GPU/CPU
Left side > render settings tab > advanced tab
choose whatever you want
-Free stuff
A LOT of sites provide free download links to DAZ market resources. Even here on this site there is 'Completed requests' forum. There are hundreds of Gigs of assets on pirate sites so you can try it before buy.
You will need to buy a product before making money with it.

Reactions: khumak

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
I've only just started playing around with DAZ, but from what I've noticed so far it looks like to create anything worthwhile you either need to be an artist yourself to create the assets you want from scratch or you have to buy a ton of assets to use. I'm fine with buying assets if I first prove to myself that I'm good enough with Daz to produce anything worthwhile, but until then I'm hoping there are some free assets that would be suitable for just messing around with.

From what I saw with the basic DAZ installation there's only 1 or 2 hairstyles included, there's options for scaling musculature, scaling from emaciated to obese, but not breast/butt size/shape, no genitals, etc. I was happy to see that there are already basic facial expressions included for the basic emotions so I wouldn't have to try and figure out how to distort a face to make it look angry/surprised/etc, although I suspect I'd have to find some additional resources if I want expressions for arousal/etc.

I'd like to have enough options to be able to create some characters with different body shapes, different races, different hairstyles, different clothing, etc. I'm not concerned with environments yet, I can just use the ones that come with DAZ for now. Although I definitely do want to mess around with lighting. I'd mostly be wanting to see if I can put multiple characters into poses that look the way I want with facial expressions that look appropriate for the scene and with realistic looking lighting effects. I would also like to experiment with collisions so for example I would want to see breasts deform in a believable manner when pressed into the floor/couch/wall/etc or when groped by hands or constricted by tight clothing.

Is there such a thing as public domain assets for DAZ? Everything I've seen so far is pay-walled.

I also have a question about something else I just noticed. I'm doing a render right now and I checked my task manager to see what sort of resources I'm using. I expected to see my GPU doing a lot of the work but I see my CPU pegged at 100% and my GPU is only running at 1-10%. It is correctly using my Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, not the integrated graphics GPU (which is sitting at 0% utilization). Is there some option I'm missing that would cause this to be using my CPU instead of my GPU or does my CPU just suck so bad that my GPU doesn't matter? I have an i5-4670.
The Daz Studio program is free and comes with some free models, clothing, hair etc. Also you can find *a lot* of free items on , although most of it is for V4. Also Daz installs free modeling software (Hexagon or something like this) but I still have to find some1 who really uses it. You can return the bought stuff in 30 days or so if it is not suitable for you (read their EULA for details). Basically poses can be created with the program itself, the expressions are harder to create. And most of the sites which offer content for Daz offer some free stuff too. They offer even some free morphs too but don't count on it (and besides many of the morphs require the basic daz morphs package which is not free). As for the rendering every decent render engine has the option to use CPU or GPU - find the Render Settings tab (or activate if it from Window -> Panes if it is not active) and browse the options. The drawback of using GPU is if you render scenes with zillions of vertices the program can crash or freeze (it depends on graphic memory of the card).
And yes - the idea behind Daz is to buy stuff.

Reactions: khumak

TheVicarious

Nov 19, 2017
So I've downloaded DAZ and tried to pick something from here (Cathy Bundle - ). Just to try to learn to install assets. Seems like most things don't work very well for me. ;/ The hair for instance, I can't change the color it just stays weirdly greyish even though I click on what looks like different hair color samples. Don't think the model fits either. :/

I'm really lost in this program lol. xD Are there any good tutorial videos that explain this program, in newbie terms?

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
So I've downloaded DAZ and tried to pick something from here (Cathy Bundle - ). Just to try to learn to install assets. Seems like most things don't work very well for me. ;/ The hair for instance, I can't change the color it just stays weirdly greyish even though I click on what looks like different hair color samples. Don't think the model fits either. :/

I'm really lost in this program lol. XD Are there any good tutorial videos that explain this program, in newbie terms?
Unfortunately most of the tutorials just explain the interfaces as if they don't explain "this is a content tab" I will not understand the "content" means content. There are good tutorials but often are specialized and deal the certain problem. That's why I made myself a bookmark folder Daz tutorials and put there the bookmarks of the tutorials I found useful.
I shared here an old tutorial but still for Daz Studio 4.xx. It is PDF file but at least it explains *how* to do the stuff. The thing which frustrates every newcomer to Daz is when you do something you need to choose exactly the subject of the action or else you will receive an error message. Seems obvious but to add hair to a model you need to select the model and after you add the hair you need to select not the model but the hair itself (just an example). Also when you try to add something more and you get a question "Do you want to save?" this means the new stuff will not be added but will replace the already existing stuff.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote