3D modellers should make actual 3D games with their models instead

2.00 star(s) 1 Vote
Nov 28, 2021
I keep seeing people making rpgs, VNs and Renpy's, just making screenshots of their models instead of actual 3D game where u can interact with the models.
Seriously it's such a waste for their model's production, and it's more effort/expensive to make screenshots of their works, gives me a headache.

Mock1ngb1rd

May 14, 2023
I keep seeing people making rpgs, VNs and Renpy's, just making screenshots of their models instead of actual 3D game where u can interact with the models.
Seriously it's such a waste for their model's production, and it's more effort/expensive to make screenshots of their works, gives me a headache.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
Öhm, these are called Render and are done because it would be by far to much work to make them "Interactive", and in Ren'py it's even impossible as far as I know.
Also it would cost by far more to buy the interactive licenses for let's say unity or unreal.
^ this... plus the license for those models is completely different depending on how / what you use them for, meaning you need a different and if I remember correctly more expensive license to use the model in a 3d environment.

Reactions: Mock1ngb1rd

chainedpanda

Jun 26, 2017
I'm unfamiliar with these animations, BUT, there are several reasons aside from the monetary ones.

For starters, making a game vs an animation is NOT the same thing. It requires different skills entirely. Skills that some animator may have to first learn how to do. This will take up a significant amount of time, likely distracting the creator from doing what they actually want to do in the first place.

In addition, it's also a large commitment. The moment you incorporate the character into the game, you can't take that back. As far as animations are concerned, once the animator completes the animation, they can just move on to a new model if they grow bored of the previous one. Can't really do that in a game. Once you've created the character, hope you enjoy them enough to stare at them for the next few thousand hours.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Let's be real, most 3d games are either lowpoly with choppy animations that deliver somewhat consistently or pretty glorified tech demos, sometimes both.

It's just not very realistic for a single-person team to make a 3d game.

Reactions: FromOtherSpace

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
The great majority has potato computers, and some not even that. Why would anyone put more work and spend more money to have less players and therefore less support?

Dukez

Dec 19, 2020
There are pros & cons to both approaches and going full 3D requires extra skills that most probably don't have. At the very least I wish these games would transition to like UE5 even if they stayed in their screenshot form so they could take advantage of it's newer compression methods and reduce game size even further. Problem is there isn't really any renpy-like etc base plugin/project to build off for an easy transition.

Found this out when I was curious on it's compression and ended up altering what was out there to create a renpy-ish type setup to demo it and you definitely can get a lower game size, probably could go even lower by combining some methods but I never got around to testing that.

I do with wish more were full 3d though, I think you could even mimic the "stills" of screenshots but have some subtle animation to further enhance it if one didn't want to go full 3D gameplay.

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
Go ahead, give it a shot. Let's see how far you get before you realize how absurdly mistaken you are.

EvolutionKills

Jan 3, 2021
Posing a human 3D model well is hard. Animating it in 3D? That's an order of magnitude harder. Doing that in a player controlled environment as opposed to a locked down and controlled one (e.g. virtual environment in a game vs a pre-rendered video) is orders of magnitude harder still.

There is a reason that 99.95% of everyone who tries to animate those models themselves (with no actual training in animation) just ends up making hot garbage. The is a thing, and poor animation only exacerbates the effect.

Aug 28, 2021
To add 2 cents :

You speak of people which, mostly, use DAZ or something similar, not some 3d artists which create their models from scratch. Daz doesn't give game ready stuff. Far too many polygons, a shitty (for in game manipulation) rig, I think iray isn't supported by any game engine. You need time and skills to get from DAZ or similar to a 3d model which could be use into your engine. Then come animation... It's a job as EvolutionKills said, and a hard one.

おい!

Engaged Member
Mar 25, 2018
call-the-doctor-chef.gif

2.00 star(s) 1 Vote