2D Games are Less Popular

nulnil

May 18, 2021
  • For 2D games to produce enough content to keep players engaged and receive support from people for continual updates, they usually have to be very grindy and the percentage of people that like very grindy adult games is much smaller.
I think that's a bit of a generalization. There's alot of ways to make 2D games, and plenty of them can recycle content in a way that isn't boring.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I work on both a 2D Game (Paradise Lust, which just finished) and a 3D Game (Love of Magic).

From what I've seen:
- On F95zone, about the same
- On Patreon, Love of Magic's slightly higher, but they're both reasonably small
- On Steam, Paradise Lust is significantly larger.

Now, that ignores a couple of things; Paradise Lust is a fulltime team, whereas Love of Magic is just me working alone. Love of Magic started slightly earlier, and was out before the Covid Crowd arrived (First release was Dec 2019).

Anyway, I wouldn't draw the conclusion that 2D is less popular than 3D. Doing 2D right takes a *lot* more effort than doing 3D well, which leads to less content / slower updates, or substantially higher costs.

Sheppd

Dec 17, 2023
Depends? There's plenty of exceptions, but in general the 3-d plastic barbie doll stuff is just "impossible" for me. Also tends to have no variation, especially when so many people use widely available free rigs (of course they do)