• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

2D animation - where do I start?

May 9, 2021
So I was wondering 2D animation. I'd like to learn about how to make, say, simple lewd animations. Where would start? What software, assets, YouTube tutorials etc, should I use/watch?

842_Quagmire_and_3.gif

Thanks very much!

<3

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I'm not a 2D animator but since noone answered I'll try to help with my limited knowledge.

The sample you linked is most likely vectorial animation, where you create separate shapes and add 2D movement to them by sliding and stretching them accordingly, as you notice the characters never change angles they just slide.

Basically you break a static character into individual parts, rig their layers on top of eachother then apply movement to each layer accordingly.

Meaning you could use almost any softwares that allows you to animate separate layers into keyframes to achieve this effect, even full on 3D softwares work if you know what you are doing, so the software wouldn't matter as much as you understanding the core of how this effect works and then being creative with it.

VMiller

Mar 7, 2023
Now Blender has great 2D animation capabilities. There are a lot of tutorials on Youtube on how to do it.