VN Ren'Py The Nighrest [Ep.1] [ChouderTales]

3.80 star(s) 5 Votes

Maviarab

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 12, 2020
Nice looking characters but there are a couple of things that ruin it as far as I'm concerned.
1) Quicktime events... I hate these!
2) A redone UI that doesn't allow for skipping transitions and the ridiculous number of screen shakes.
Just got done with the first release, and I must say I'm liking it a lot.

One thing that I'd always welcome is addition of proper horror genre games, cause despite the "horror" tag existing for this site, game which really focuses on this aspect is quite rare.
As long as the future updates continue with the suspense and terror aspect, I see potential for it to be great.

As for the story, I'm finding myself engaged with it; I like how the mystery is slowly getting unveiled to the MC.

With the LIs, they each seem to have distinct enough interest to kepp me engaged (currently I'm most interested in Haze, but let's see how I feel with more episodes, heh).

So all in all, good job dev on your first release.
Will keep tabs on this one to see how things develop with future episodes.
Mia was such a dumbass that my canon is that her department deliberately sent her out to Spooky Island, hoping she'd get Sadako'd. Glad she's gone, hope she doesn't come back.

Haven't seen a single QTE so far that fits in a VN, and this one is no exception. They can be decent if used in an action game, since you're already used to twitch reflex inputs there. But when you're chilling with an interactive story like this and suddenly forced to go into ready mode, it's not a good player experience, and it's not good game design.

Renders are nice, UI is polished, plot setup feels interesting. Could've done without the typical (sorta but not really) incest characters, but I guess that's what the people want. Although they probably want real incest characters, so this middle of the road approach might not work for either crowd.

I think it's going to be tricky developing the game, considering a lot of effort seems to have been spent on the paranormal aspects of the story (which so far have been done well, imo - Mia's stupidity excluded). But making that work along with the more carnal aspects of an adult VN might be a juggling act. Anyway, interested to see how this goes, and good luck to the dev.
I was gonna leave the exact same thoughts on the game, thx for doing it for me.

Two things I'd like to add:

Desperately needs a proofreader.

Some times dialogue and/or renders play too fast, for example to conway the best friend quickly dropping a bit of info and then leaving. Its not a big deal, but some people, like me, need to read everything on the screen, wich in this case means rolling back and forth to catch everything. Slightly annoying, not a big deal, but also easy to fix.

Liked the setup of the story and am curios to see if dev can see it through.
Well...

This, this, this and this lol...no point in writing out all the above myself really.

It's interesting for a first release sure, nicely put together but for the dev, if going have dumb people doing dumb things, I can watch any number of a thousand horror films over the last 40 years where everyone does this.

Also never understood why with such a creature on the 'island'...wtf would anyone live there (considering they are aware of it)...just fucking move...

That aside...worth following for now I think but all the above quotes stand, especially the QTE's. Too many devs want to make a game..not a VN. If I want QTE's etc I can go play far better ones...far more polished. Make a visual novel, leave out the pointless crap and maybe try and find a native English speaker to polish up the script for you.

JJJ84

Engaged Member
Dec 24, 2018
Also never understood why with such a creature on the 'island'...wtf would anyone live there (considering they are aware of it)...just fucking move...
Well, I certainly wouldn't call myself an expert on horror movies (or horror genre overall), but perhaps there will be an explanation in the story which addresses that?

Perhaps people tried to move and those people just......disappeared.
It's said in the book MC finds that on one of the encounters, Nighrest spared her victim initially, but then took him from his jailcell in the police station.
So if anyone gets away with moving, it would likely be only because Nighrest let them - and even so, she's a fickle demon who is very likely to still just kill the ones she spared anyway.

Many of the Island natives are aware of this, and those that believe in Nighrest are scared shitless to move (and given what they heard happen to others disappearing trying to move), don't wanna put their lives on the line to test it out, and would rather continue living on the island in fear.

Of course, there's one exception; MC who is an Island native, coming back home after some years.
But even MC's past is shrouded in mystery - both parents dead and his step-mom finding him as a child.
This could actually play into the factor as to why Nighrest may have spared him.

Of course, this is assuming the dev thought that far ahead I suppose.

One slight concern I may have which I didn't address in my initial post (even moreso than QTE, which I found annoying) is that given this is a horror game, will the dev have the guts to kill off at least some (if not majority) of LIs despite this being a AVN?

Personally, I think it would make more sense to the overall story that at least some LIs get killed (depending on the LI MC/player decides to save; i.e. choices with consequence).
All LIs surviving would suck out a bit of tension and I feel the game would suffer a bit.

But there are those who absolute hate LIs getting killed (regardless of the story/genre based reasons) and feel all LIs must survive till the end; and would complain.

So yeah, gonna be interesting to see which direction the dev takes.

Before I Forget

Sep 4, 2021
RIP Mia, I wanted to fuck you but now you are gone..... sadge
She was pretty gorgeous, seems like a waste to beauty like her only to kill her... unless she's not dead and this Nighrest is really just hording hotties for her own personal harem. I just can't believe how... dumb she appeared. "I'm a Cop!" So? And?
Everything starts out very beautiful and well done. image, quality and care for polishing the images until. If Patreon doesn't have 10K subscribers within 90 days, it will close the company and bye bye mexico!!! Let the games begin!!!
I hope not, I actually like what I played so far though it does need a few touch ups.

drifter139

Dec 11, 2019
She was pretty gorgeous, seems like a waste to beauty like her only to kill her... unless she's not dead and this Nighrest is really just hording hotties for her own personal harem. I just can't believe how... dumb she appeared. "I'm a Cop!" So? And?

I hope not, I actually like what I played so far though it does need a few touch ups.
it could be that Nightrest keeps them catatonic to keep feeding on them up to a certain point

• Hey there
Reactions: Before I Forget

BarbarrossaNA

Sep 10, 2019
Have only done a little of it so far.. just wanted to come here and say how good it looks.. polished.. well written.. *please lord let this one be around for a long time* amen.

Now back to the story.. :)

Ruff Ryder

Aug 18, 2020
Interesting start into the game with a good bulid up into the story.
The renders are nice too but there's many spelling and grammar mistakes and I can't stand the UI.

I need to criticize the scene of the Nighrest first appearing, most notably the woman. She is so stupid. You don't walk into the woods after a car accident. Even if you're not hurt you might have damaged your insides. And let's not forget it's night, it's pouring buckets and she's a woman in the woods. Even the best female cop won't be able to save herself from a rapist in that moment. Every god damn decision of her made me question her ability to exist. She should've stayed in the car.

May 7, 2021
The renders are nice too but there's many spelling and grammar mistakes and I can't stand the UI.

I need to criticize the scene of the Nighrest first appearing, most notably the woman. She is so stupid. You don't walk into the woods after a car accident. Even if you're not hurt you might have damaged your insides. And let's not forget it's night, it's pouring buckets and she's a woman in the woods. Even the best female cop won't be able to save herself from a rapist in that moment. Every god damn decision of her made me question her ability to exist. She should've stayed in the car.

Mia is the kind of character that makes it so I can't watch horror movies. It does not take longer before I'm just like "just die already".

OhGodNotAgain

Aug 11, 2023
Will this have a harem path? Will this have ntr/sharing? That girl on the far right in the banner looks like the "girl" from Sleepaway Camp.

Aj0069

Dec 27, 2023

That cop is fucking idiot even her sis told her to run and she didn't run

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Will this have a harem path? Will this have ntr/sharing? That girl on the far right in the banner looks like the "girl" from Sleepaway Camp.
Considering it isn't determined if it will even have sex scenes yet I'd say it's to early to tell......

nitkonikic

Sep 17, 2018
A good start to the game, but this will require ton of work to keep this level of render quality.
Good luck dev, hope you've got patience of a saint to keep at it.

drifter139

Dec 11, 2019
A good start to the game, but this will require ton of work to keep this level of render quality.
Good luck dev, hope you've got patience of a saint to keep at it.
honestly I would suggest dev focus more on the grammar as some sentences are a struggle to understand and don't exactly read that well

3.80 star(s) 5 Votes