HTML Gif's and webp

Nov 1, 2017
Hi guys. Such a thing, I downloaded compressed versions of a couple of HTML games, and discovered that GIFs were not played. The file format in the game folders is now webp and I am not familiar with this format. Tell me what the problem is, is the game compressed that much? or do I need another browser? thx

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Hi guys. Such a thing, I downloaded compressed versions of a couple of HTML games, and discovered that GIFs were not played. The file format in the game folders is now webp and I am not familiar with this format. Tell me what the problem is, is the game compressed that much? or do I need another browser? thx
It's likely the compression that is made wrong. If the game expects gifs, you can't make them into webp. You could try to reach out to whoever made the compressed version and inform them.

But you didn't say which browser you used. Chrome for instance supports webp.

Nov 1, 2017
It's likely the compression that is made wrong. If the game expects gifs, you can't make them into webp. You could try to reach out to whoever made the compressed version and inform them.

But you didn't say which browser you used. Chrome for instance supports webp.
I used Google Chrome. Previously, I came across the webm format and it played, but now it’s webp and it’s just a picture. thx for your answer

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I use Google Chrome. Previously, I came across the webm format and it played, but now it’s webp and it’s just a picture.thx for your answer
Oh, so you actually see a picture? Then the game accepts webp but it sounds like the gif was not converted to an animated webp. What game is this?

Nov 1, 2017
Oh, so you actually see a picture? Then the game accepts webp but it sounds like the gif was not converted to an animated webp. What game is this?
I played "What is real" and "Destroyer". and before in the previous version I saw a gif or an animated picture. but now there is no animation on these same images, and when I looked at the game files, I saw that these were not gifs but webp. I don’t know what webp format is and how to make it so there is animation

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Nov 1, 2017
There is nothing you can do if the webp are not created as animated webp. I checked out this compression:
https://f95zone.to/threads/what-is-real-v0-62-walbobo.157069/post-13603617

I tested a lot of webp and none were animated except one:
View attachment 3620872
You will probably find that this plays as animated to you because there is nothing wrong from your side. It is the compressed version that hasn't converted the gifs into animated webp.
ok thx for answer, i'll try load other version, maybe not comressed

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
ok thx for answer, i'll try load other version, maybe not comressed
I downloaded the "update only" for the game and it actually uses webp. If it used gifs before then the dev changed from gifs to webp. If some aren't animated and were animated before, it's probably not the compressed version's fault but the game devs'. Checking the "update only", all webps I find are animated both in the original version and in the compressed.