Creating a strip poker game

Nyctelios

Aug 12, 2018
If anyone has played Strip Poker Night at the Inventory or really any other strip poker game online I'm trying to create something similar but with 3D assets. Regarding coding, I'm most familiar with Renpy but from what I've searched there really aren't that many resources online for Renpy card games much less poker specifically. Atm I'm probably going to have to put together a poker script from scratch, but if anyone has any useful links or resources to similar games or scripts or even tutorials the help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm not opposed to switching from Renpy to another engine like Unity or RPGM.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
There's many many examples of basic poker engines out there, and certainly some for python. The trick is how to make it "fun" - because no-one wants to play against a perfect poker robot who cannot be bluffed. Making players have "personality" and react to your/each other's playstyle in a meaningful way is HARD.

To code it into a game, you can mix standard python classes with Renpy, although it does take a bit more research and understanding of the Renpy engine than just doing basic VN stuff. And to be successful you probably should already have some python development experience.

So the next challenges are:
- how to represent the game state in a way that allows Renpy save/load/rollback to work (hint: don't modify the object only in python blocks/functions, else renpy will not "see" the changes)
- how to make a user interface that is fun and not too ugly (Renpy's UI language can be difficult to understand or modify, as it is kind of like a CSS engine but of course there are no good examples like you get with browser based stuff). (hint: look at the source code for something like https://f95zone.to/threads/strip-n-play-with-valerie-v1-0-fixed-acex-game-studio.49702/)

There are some examples of card game "engines" in the Renpy creator's forums "lemmasoft"

hiya02

Oct 14, 2019
I haven't seen too many open source strip poker games that are any good (are there any in f95?). And I don't consider all those "video poker" crapplications proper poker games :cautious: !

kksge

May 10, 2024
hello, I have created an opensource strip poker game named Kiss Strip Poker.
actually can play .mkv videos, poker game is made with python pygame, while the strip game engine is made with freebasic and some other opesource project. you can find all the info by searching Kiss Strip Poker homepage, and github page

Reactions: osanaiko

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
hello, I have created an opensource strip poker game named Kiss Strip Poker.
actually can play .mkv videos, poker game is made with python pygame, while the strip game engine is made with freebasic and some other opesource project. you can find all the info by searching Kiss Strip Poker homepage, and github page
Post a link!

kksge

May 10, 2024
sure now I hope to be able to post links: