• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

djweish

Apr 1, 2018
If you want to do anything remotely complex though, it breaks down. You're correct that it does what it advertises, that does not change that making things in it can quickly become a mess. This same issue exists in Ren'Py, where it will handle minor branching just fine but anything more and especially any systems you try to jam into the thing, also makes it turn into a mess very quickly.

The best option would be to write it in Godot(Or Unity, I guess), but then you're adding on a bunch of extra work in things like asset creation, as well as creating entire systems for things as simple as talking to an NPC.
In what way would Godot and Unity make this easier? Genuinely curious, as I haven't tried using those two. What limitations does python have that Godot doesn't?

KyoukoSakura

Best Girl
Donor
Nov 23, 2022
In what way would Godot and Unity make this easier? Genuinely curious, as I haven't tried using those two. What limitations does python have that Godot doesn't?
Well Godot is a full 3D engine, while Ren'Py and RPG Maker obviously aren't.

ryuujinx

Dec 30, 2020
Variable scoping is really, really important. For instance let's take an RPG since that's like idk a good 90% of the games on here. Here's a very simple scenario, you have a dungeon. In this dungeon, there's a switch and using the switch opens a door.

In RPGM, you would create a variable containing a flag. Say MyDungeon_Switch_1, setting it to 0. You then set that tile to check the status of that switch, if it's 0 it's a locked door. If it's 1, it's an open door. Easy.

The problem becomes when we move beyond that. Now we have a second dungeon, and a second switch. Same approach, MySecondDungeon_Switch_1, set it to 0, etc. The problem is that these variables, in RPGM, are defined at a *global* level. So even when you're in town, dealing with some different part of the game, or whatever, you still have to keep an eye on them. This quickly turns into a very large list as the game grows - this is why I was specific in that naming. The usual way to deal with this is by prefixing so that everything related gets grouped together. This *works*, but it's prone to error and accidentally causing obnoxious to track down bugs. If you, say, accidentally used a variable for a future dungeon when you were redesigning an old one, you then go playtest the game get to your door and find it wide open. This leads to you scratching your head wondering what the hell just happened.

On the flip side, in a general engine, you can scope those variables down. I can have my list of dungeon variables that only exist within that dungeon. Trying to access a variable that is either not a global or not within that class will throw an error. A quick and easy bug that you know immediately how to fix, or at the least know *where* to look for the issue.

This allows a much higher quality codebase, where only your *really* important stuff gets stored at a global level (For instance, the progression of the MC's transformation, their stats, etc) and everything else gets scoped down to only be there when they are relevant.

Now you will note I said "allowed" a better codebase. That does not guarantee that, you are welcome to have poor coding practices and shove everything in a global still. But with engines made to make things easy you don't get that level of control. That's fine and expected - they exist to let people make specific types of things quickly without having to deal with the overhead a full project a more general engine would take. But that easy to do part comes with a cost.

Reactions: Levyathan0

cryptic12345

Mar 19, 2022
full save please
I dont think the game actually needs a full save cuz each route just ends after a short time, but there are some debugs found in the area via the bonus room, u can unlock all ending just by going to the bottom at the spawn and head to left/right? and interact

cryptic12345

Mar 19, 2022
Unlock all ending to be viewed at debug
Change the monster girl variant to view all the custom npc dialogue/event (p.s. try the small boy near the water area of the spawn
Everything else, the guides and debug location of each events are located in bonus room with the various npc
1714805584872.png 1714805661646.png 1714805731102.png

kyuven

Sep 29, 2019
So onto that second point it's less about work and more about taming the scope of your ambitions. Just in this game we have scenarios written about how the MC deals with aspects such as vampires are weakened by sunlight, how large breasts interfere with tasks, how mental memories or muscle memory are partially retained through TFs. The scope is absolutely unfathomable and needs to scaled to manageable task coding wise and writing.
Scope is what you make of it. Law of Conservation of Detail is important for a reason.
Here's the thing, you don't *need* to account for all of these things in writing, only the things most applicable to the gameplay or the scenario.
For example, you don't really need to dwell on how a character's size affects their leverage unless that is a plot point. It can be something that sparks conversation in a story, or makes a puzzle required, or presents a unique challenge.
There's a balance to be had: There are things you WANT to have be important, but there are also things the audience just doesn't care about or that would slow down the plot.
For example, in this game during the dragon plot you're "reborn" as a dragon. Now, they COULD explore relearning to walk as the dragon, or have the main character's memories completely wiped clean by the process and have to deal with that, but they chose to skip ahead and have the MC already have learned how to fly. Because that detail is unnecessary for this game and story.
In fiction, "detail" is a never ending story. There's always something you could include, something you could expand upon, some new thread to pull...but you don't need to.

NyaaRrar

Jan 18, 2019
Scope is what you make of it. Law of Conservation of Detail is important for a reason.
Here's the thing, you don't *need* to account for all of these things in writing, only the things most applicable to the gameplay or the scenario.
For example, you don't really need to dwell on how a character's size affects their leverage unless that is a plot point. It can be something that sparks conversation in a story, or makes a puzzle required, or presents a unique challenge.
There's a balance to be had: There are things you WANT to have be important, but there are also things the audience just doesn't care about or that would slow down the plot.
For example, in this game during the dragon plot you're "reborn" as a dragon. Now, they COULD explore relearning to walk as the dragon, or have the main character's memories completely wiped clean by the process and have to deal with that, but they chose to skip ahead and have the MC already have learned how to fly. Because that detail is unnecessary for this game and story.
In fiction, "detail" is a never ending story. There's always something you could include, something you could expand upon, some new thread to pull...but you don't need to.
The memory aspect is a larger part of the plot explored throughout most of the routes. A lot of the things you think are intrinsic to vampires, dragons, or kitsunes come naturally. Similar to how a bird knows how to fly or a crocodile knows how maneuver through water. What stops Kiyohiko frequently is himself, he mentally blocks some aspects of his new body. And the dragon route show what happens when the mental aspect is largely overwritten out of the eggshell. Which is unique to the game aspect of writing. You don't have to think about how you're going to sneak in details throughout one plotline, you can give information in small details throughout many plotlines, or side-quests we see what happens when his spirit, mind, and body are transformed in the Vampire's route.

For a transformation focused game like this the minute details are appreciated. They make the transformations more than just a coat paint with minor stat differences, if that, which is what many games do. Which means that the gameplay aspect is not the strongest here the writing is superb for the subject. Should the player choose to explore interact with the items scattered across the maps.

djweish

Apr 1, 2018
In RPGM, you would create a variable containing a flag. Say MyDungeon_Switch_1, setting it to 0. You then set that tile to check the status of that switch, if it's 0 it's a locked door. If it's 1, it's an open door. Easy.

The problem becomes when we move beyond that. Now we have a second dungeon, and a second switch. Same approach, MySecondDungeon_Switch_1, set it to 0, etc. The problem is that these variables, in RPGM, are defined at a *global* level. So even when you're in town, dealing with some different part of the game, or whatever, you still have to keep an eye on them. This quickly turns into a very large list as the game grows - this is why I was specific in that naming.
It's true that in general the variables in RPGMaker are globals, but you do have a set of "Self Switches" - for your door example, you'd never normally use the main variable list for remembering a door state, you'd use one of the self switches on the door event (set the door's Self Switch A to On to indicate it's open, for example). By default you are admittedly a little limited in self switches (every event in RPG Maker MV, for instance, has four self switches), but there are easy to find plugins which extend this to an infinite amount.

RPGMaker is also perfectly happy to save arrays as variables, and operate on the individual array entries, if you just want to make your variables clearer; imagine each character has a level from 1 to 10 in five attributes, you could just save the list of them [1, 6, 2, 6, 2] as a single variable for that character, and then modify the individual entries. But yeah, it's not quite as easy as, say, Ren'Py, where you can just create a class for characters and have functions defined on that class instead of bothering with a long list of global variables.

Sil1234

Jan 25, 2021
I honestly stopped. I started the Elf route and got both bad endings but there is basically no sex and I can't tell if you can win.

NyaaRrar

Jan 18, 2019
I honestly stopped. I started the Elf route and got both bad endings but there is basically no sex and I can't tell if you can win.
The tags do need fixed. There is no sexual content aside from nudity and implied sexual content. Also there no 'winning' ending. There are 'happy endings' however the MC is unable to escape without being transformed. So in the end it's up to you to play what is a essentially choose your own adventure story in RPGM. (Yes oral sex and futa dick are implied in some endings or scenes but aren't included explicitly. So probably doesn't qualify for those tags. There is one clothed tentacle vaginal sex scene in the kitsune/fox girl mountain that maybe justifies those tags.)

• Thinking Face
Reactions: leechurch

cryptic12345

Mar 19, 2022
Just saying this game is focused more to the story then the artwork and illustration, and this game isnt like +18 so dont expect any direct sex in it

aaaac

Game Developer
Sep 4, 2019
Hey thanks for translating this and putting it here! I really enjoyed the fox paths. The resistance to the fox suit just adds a bit extra.

• Red Heart
Reactions: amnesiacagent

cryptic12345

Mar 19, 2022
tho u can just quickly debug and view all the gallery from the bonus room...or use e-hentai here for all the cg

Lord Kentus

Jan 4, 2021
The Akari route is actually just cancer, Jesus its rare for a game character to make me want to shank them anywhere from 7 to 43 times.(Back and neck area if folks are curious, eventually the flesh will turn to hamburger and the head will roll off after enough trauma is done to the spine)

Otherwise there are a few decent routes, I like the mermaid one for example.

sugarlesstonicwater

Sep 5, 2023
The Akari route is actually just cancer, Jesus its rare for a game character to make me want to shank them anywhere from 7 to 43 times.(Back and neck area if folks are curious, eventually the flesh will turn to hamburger and the head will roll off after enough trauma is done to the spine)

Otherwise there are a few decent routes, I like the mermaid one for example.
its a fetish itself; disempowerment, slaved, and auctioned. not for everyone for sure, the elf is definitely unlikeable, but she pretty tho

3.30 star(s) 10 Votes