Is it something in the water?

Carmen Sandiego

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
What's up with the influx of games getting abandoned all of a sudden? I get that shit happens irl, but damn, several decently popular devs/games have called the quits/been axed. What's floating around, so I know to avoid that shit...

Seriously though. R.I.P VengeanceXXX/Ethan's Legacy (no the dev isn't dead, I hope not at least) one of my favorite games.

Farewell Nergal/Urban Demons

There are a few others I'm sad to see go, but those two, especially VengeanceXXX/Ethan's Legacy, saddens my loins deeply. Ah, sweet, sweet, Gina... I'll miss you girl!

Unless I die, I'm not abandoning my game. If I get missing randomly, I'm probably in jail for weed related events, go looking and bail me out.

*pours some liquor out for my fallen homies*

89tasker

Jun 4, 2017
It takes an obsessively twisted mind to make these games. They have a tendency to break...
...but the milkers will endure.

Reactions: styggtuff12
Apr 29, 2017
To quote a line from a John Lennon song, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

It would appear that a few devs experienced this first-hand recently, and it's a damn shame. Vengeance foremost, because I also rather enjoyed Ethan's Legacy, enough that I supported him on Patreon.

Although I'm definitely sad to see just about any developer have to call it quits.

Reactions: Carmen Sandiego

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Some devs don't know how to handle the attacks against them, by one hate group or another.
It's getting worse lately. Me, of all people, called a racist... because one of my games lacked diversity.
Her baby should be black they said. But She and her husband are European, and Asian, I replied. Biology doesn't work that way.
I've been doing this way too long, and seen enough that I'm immune to anything anyone says about my games... but some young devs take it to heart, and are crushed by feedback. Wish I could take my antibodies, and make a vaccine.

Shortly before I joined this forum, I had been told a rumor that one of our game devs had committed suicide. They didn't say who. I searched abandoned, and checked all the Patreons, and didn't find any mention of this. Unable to confirm, I want to pass it off ass rumor, but somehow it could be even sadder that that are not even missed.

Carmen Sandiego

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
I didn't know Ethan's Legacy was garnering such negative criticism. I thought the game was pretty good. Damn tho, that's wild... Before I started developing I would talk a little trash here and there, nothing overly offensive, just my version of constructive criticism. Now that I'm developing my own, I tend to keep it milder because I know first hand that this shit is easier said than done. Still, it's sad that people let it get to them like that.

On the one hand I can understand, it's your creation, you put your time and energy into a project and of course you want people to like it. My game isn't even out the prologue stage yet, but I've gotten both good and bad feedback. The bad sucks, obviously, but the way I see it, if you don't like it, don't play it. I have extremely thick skin and a lack of fucks to give, I'm guessing that's gonna help me once more people play my game and comment. I hope they both come back after taking some time off, having a nice vacation, dealing with irl issues, then try to take another swing.

bobdillan

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2016
Some devs don't know how to handle the attacks against them, by one hate group or another.
It's getting worse lately. Me, of all people, called a racist... because one of my games lacked diversity.
Her baby should be black they said. But She and her husband are European, and Asian, I replied. Biology doesn't work that way.
I've been doing this way too long, and seen enough that I'm immune to anything anyone says about my games... but some young devs take it to heart, and are crushed by feedback. Wish I could take my antibodies, and make a vaccine.

Shortly before I joined this forum, I had been told a rumor that one of our game devs had committed suicide. They didn't say who. I searched abandoned, and checked all the Patreons, and didn't find any mention of this. Unable to confirm, I want to pass it off ass rumor, but somehow it could be even sadder that that are not even missed.
excuse my ignorance and lack of information, but i am curious as to what your projects are? (kinda wanna check em out :p )

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
If I get missing randomly,
Somebody would find you.

Years of my life were spent wondering where the fuck Carmen Sandiego was in the world.

Back to the topic ....

Ethan's Legacy got a lot of grief from the ... younger ... end of the spectrum that seem to think mothers look the same age as their kids. Probably due to their mothers getting pregnant at school (oooh, insults).

On top of that he had depression anyway and the game was his escape which wasn't healthy for him. He didn't step back due to the criticism, although that didn't help, it was more to get himself in a better place.

As far as abandoned games go, a lot of them are patreon bait. They throw out a 0.1 and expect people to throw money at them because it worked when this kind of thing wasn't as popular as it is now. They don't get that money and give up.

It takes time now and some devs don't get that.

Unless it's something that stands out they aren't going to pull people away from the games they already support. We have far too much of the same thing and far too many 0.1 releases with barely any content.

I don't know about anyone else but a 5 minute conversation and maybe a quick tit flash isn't enough to get money out of me no matter how interesting the idea is.

It took me a while to start backing Ethan's Legacy, Dreaming of Dana and Teachers Pet. I wouldn't throw money at the typical incest game because it's the same thing of mother sees sons cock and turns into incest hungry whore etc, etc.

Too many devs trying to make a quick buck with boring, bland, uninspired games we've seen a hundred times before.

Those that do have something interesting need to show they are going to stick around and finish what they start.

Reactions: Dixon Butz

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I participate in about 40 different adult game forums. Not going to pick favorites, to each their own. Some of those forums are geared towards one: fetish, engine, genre, or other thing it's users have in common. Different types of games, have different types of fans (frankly, some don't play well with others). Some of those are close knit communities, where users are very supportive of one another, and frequently collaborate on projects. Countless times groups of people have pulled an all-nighter, to bug test, fix, and finish a game.

Patreon is the opposite of that. It doesn't promote finishing a game, it promotes greed. Finish your game, the money dries up. It doesn't support collaboration, because that means sharing. But the worst part, is the pay for influence aspect of it's tier system. Where legit fans of the game are ignored, in favor of higher paying tier supporters.
Selling your soul at the crossroads, is nothing new, all sorts of artists have been doing it for thousands of years. Usually there's a fiddle of gold involved, but on Patreon it seems the going rate is about $20/ mo. If that's all you think you are worth, then I have no respect for you either.

Reactions: Gomly1980

Carmen Sandiego

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
Somebody would find you.

Years of my life were spent wondering where the fuck Carmen Sandiego was in the world.

Back to the topic ....

Ethan's Legacy got a lot of grief from the ... younger ... end of the spectrum that seem to think mothers look the same age as their kids. Probably due to their mothers getting pregnant at school (oooh, insults).

On top of that he had depression anyway and the game was his escape which wasn't healthy for him. He didn't step back due to the criticism, although that didn't help, it was more to get himself in a better place.

As far as abandoned games go, a lot of them are patreon bait. They throw out a 0.1 and expect people to throw money at them because it worked when this kind of thing wasn't as popular as it is now. They don't get that money and give up.

It takes time now and some devs don't get that.

Unless it's something that stands out they aren't going to pull people away from the games they already support. We have far too much of the same thing and far too many 0.1 releases with barely any content.

I don't know about anyone else but a 5 minute conversation and maybe a quick tit flash isn't enough to get money out of me no matter how interesting the idea is.

It took me a while to start backing Ethan's Legacy, Dreaming of Dana and Teachers Pet. I wouldn't throw money at the typical incest game because it's the same thing of mother sees sons cock and turns into incest hungry whore etc, etc.

Too many devs trying to make a quick buck with boring, bland, uninspired games we've seen a hundred times before.

Those that do have something interesting need to show they are going to stick around and finish what they start.
Ah. Well, yeah, I had issues with the mom, mainly her eyes... she kinda looked strung out. But hey, at least she looked like a woman in her 40's or something and I never complained to the dev about her. It wasn't that serious. Plus, personally, I played the game for Gina, everybody else was extra. Not that there weren't other characters that I liked, but Gina was my girl! I didn't know, at the time, that the dev was going through whatever he was/is going through and was using the game as a release. I can only hope that there is a rainbow after the dev's storm and that things get better for him. On a more constructive note, fuck all the people talking shit. Instead of being able to enjoy the game, now we have nothing. Good job I say, good job.

Teacher's Pet is awesome, the dev is also cool, keep backing that ;)

As far as Patreon goes... yeah, a lot of devs do milk it. For me though, I see it more as an indicator of success. Currently I only have 3 patrons, you guys are awesome btw, so I look at it as my game as of now is only worth supporting by 3 people. It kind of sucks, but looking at it in another light, that's three people that believe in what I'm creating. My game, first and foremost, is for me, so even if I have no patrons, I'll see it through till the end. But for support, I knew from the jump that I'd have an uphill battle because people, especially around this forum, hate rpgm. I get it, way too many shitty rpgm games out there. That's actually why I chose rpgm in the first place, aside from the fact I wanted to make a rpg, I wanted to see if these games were bad because rpgm is shit, or if the devs are just shit/lazy. Rpgm def has problems, but I'm inclined to believe most games are bad because the devs don't really try.

I do want a lot of patrons tho. Not because I want money, don't get me wrong money is great and I'd be lying if I said I didn't like that too, but because the more patrons I have the more people I'm making happy, the more people that believe in my creation. I want people to like my game, I want people to enjoy it. If people are enjoying my game, that makes me happy, that means I'm creating something that makes them happy, which makes me happy in return. I want people to be as excited about playing my game as I am about making it. I want to make something that touches people... and potentially gets people to touch themselves. Heh. So I personally welcome criticism. If a person thinks my game is shit, tell me why. As long as they can articulate why they feel like my game is shit, I'll keep that criticism in mind and I might even make some changes. But if somebody is saying "Your game is shit because I don't like it" I could give a fuck less about that, go play something else. In any event, I'm in it for the long haul and I know I won't be making a quick buck. But I do hope to turn people into rpgm believers, at least I hope to make them like my rpgm game. I sincerely value and appreciate every patron I have/get because as I see it, that's a person that values me, or at least what I'm doing.

Last edited:

gsbm

May 6, 2017

One of the things I secretly loved to do when I still modded games was to troll my followers, I purposely began to work on mods that people would hate and rage over be it nazi, futa, guro, beasteality you name it. I dont know if I would do this to intentionally piss people off anymore as people have proving themselves to be quite fucking insane So I can fully understand someone getting cold feet over bad feed back.

I do wonder though how my latest project will be recieved as my own game will feature plenty of racism and sexism, both were prevelant in the time peroid that my story takes place in.

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017
Imho their are several reasons a game could fail.! abuse from trolls 2,trying to build a game on the fly (ie making it up as you go along ) 3,not realizing the amount of time it will take to make your dream a reality.4 allowing your followers to make major changes to game progression via polls or other means (if you have scripted the game by all means give followers a chance to have some input but keep it minor ie clothing hair etc and not story progression you have already written this right ?) But the sad truth is many Devs come up with an idea and it gets derailed through various reasons most of which i have probably listed

Carmen Sandiego

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
This is why I have a clear goal in mind and I'm going to stick pretty close to it. There are things where I'll give people a chance to influence the development of the game, but for the most part, I'm making the game I want. If people like it, great. If not, great. Either way, I'll be happy with what I produce.

Reactions: maisbordeldemerde

maisbordeldemerde

La rabia del pueblo
Donor
Dec 19, 2016
Damn, Ethan's was also one of my fav game, that's a real pain he had to cancel it :(
May his work inspire other people to do good stuff from it.

EDIT: @Carmen Sandiego is your game published on f95? I can't seem to find it

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
A lot of new devs bite off more than they can chew. And I don't mean take on more than they can handle, I mean they put some stuff in their mouth all at once that would make a vulture puke.

"My game is going to be a romantic tale of incest, scat, bestiality, armpit fucking, and 37 other fetishes."
Mixing uppers, and downers, sleeping pills, and alcohol doesn't end well.
Fetishists are like gang members, you never invite multiple gangs to your birthday party, unless you know them really really well.
Your feedback is going to be conflicted, where everyone hates your game a lot more than the part they like.
You can't please everyone. Write what you know.... what you love, and you will never hate your J O B.
Don't go looking for fans... let your fans find you.

Carmen Sandiego

Game Developer
May 17, 2017
Damn, Ethan's was also one of my fav game, that's a real pain he had to cancel it :(
May his work inspire other people to do good stuff from it.

EDIT: @Carmen Sandiego is your game published on f95? I can't seem to find it
It is, but I'm about to update it and the update is most likely incompatible with previous versions so I deleted the mega link. Well, the link is still on the main page, it just doesn't go anywhere.

A lot of new devs bite off more than they can chew. And I don't mean take on more than they can handle, I mean they put some stuff in their mouth all at once that would make a vulture puke.

"My game is going to be a romantic tale of incest, scat, bestiality, armpit fucking, and 37 other fetishes."
Fetishists are like gang members, you never invite multiple gangs to your birthday party, unless you know them really really well.
Your feedback is going to be conflicted, where everyone hates your game a lot more than the part they like.
You can't please everyone. Write what you know.... what you love, and you will never hate your J O B.
Very true. I kept my mix simple. Incest, harem, "corruption", and fantasy. The end. I may implement impregnation, I'll see.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017

This, so much this.

I have a pretty broad spectrum when it comes to things I like but i'm not a fan of the more extreme end of most fetishes.

Trying to throw too much in just to try and bring in the monies is going to end up doing the opposite.

I'll repeat what I said in a game currently in alpha with a huge list. If you are going to do that it needs to be optional and it needs to be obvious when those options are coming up.

Some people get off on simulated (or not) rape but throw in a decapitation and using the head to finish off would put off a lot of folk.