How to properly configure the alert preference?

aliscad

Jun 14, 2017
I have watched many threads that I am interested in; however, I do not receive alerts when threads are modified(usually means new release). How do I configure the alert preference so that whenever a thread is modified, I will receive an alert. Basically a red number beside that alert icon. Thank you.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I have watched many threads that I am interested in; however, I do not receive alerts when threads are modified(usually means new release). How do I configure the alert preference so that whenever a thread is modified, I will receive an alert. Basically a red number beside that alert icon. Thank you.

A asked the same question a couple of months ago. The staff informed me that the forum software can't be configured to do it. You can watch a thread and the list of watched threads is on the main forum page; that's what I do as a substitute. Also, you can keep an eye on the Latest Updates list at the bottom of the main page.

Last edited:

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
Hover over your name on the upper right and a drop down menu shows up. Click on preferences and follow the instructions.

Alleykatt

May 19, 2017
It doesn't seem to work properly though. I often don't get alerts for things I have set.

Cirro84

Resident Evil-doer, part-time Candyman
Dec 24, 2016
@Alleykatt you might check a function that comes with sending a post. It works very well for me. Next to the reply window, to the right down below, you should see 'More Options...', click on it. Your post opens in a new window. Be sure to activate 'Options: Watch this thread...' before posting, but not email notifications. This way you definitely set this command to 'true', and you should be given updates to only those threads you deem important to follow. You might need to do this once for an interesting thread.
To turn off use the 'Unwatch Thread' function to the top right, in line with the page count, to stop receiving any alerts. Works for me so it should for you, too.

Mutt already commented on the 'Alert Preferences' you can configure. I mostly deactivate everything there. You might want to have alerts turned on for other users who 'quote' one of your posts, or who 'mention' you directly. Otherwise, with most notifications turned on, you get spammed with alerts the more threads you visit.

Think of firewall rule settings: disallow (almost) all, then only allow what seems necessary to you. This is why I use the way described above to filter more strictly. Hope this helps somehow. :)

Reactions: aliscad

aliscad

Jun 14, 2017
Hover over your name on the upper right and a drop down menu shows up. Click on preferences and follow the instructions.
I know where is "Alert Preference". There is no option such as "receive alert when OP modified the post" or something like that. Only for new replies, quotes and such.