VN Ren'Py Dark Dimensions: A Spiritual Successor - Pre-Production Discussion

Some_Guy86

Apr 12, 2023
At least three of those kind of scenes have been written thus far.
As long as the story gets spicy ... or even entertaining down the road, I'm okay with that. Personally, I don't think anyone would expect lewd scenes right from the very beginning, as you first have to "introduce" the characters to player & make sure that he (or she) fully understands GUI and knows how to control the game.

Later on, once the story is all set up & running you guys can unleash your imagination & run wild.

Reactions: Morah SDG

Diamond lou

Apr 17, 2018
Looking forward to when the first build comes out, liking the look of the game's assets and features so far, especially the art. I'm not 100% on the combat system but that's more due to personal preference for a bit more strategy and diversity in what you can do, but even then things may change so the only thing to do is look forward to the first release!

gemini20xx

Oct 17, 2017
I'm not 100% on the combat system but that's more due to personal preference for a bit more strategy and diversity in what you can do, but even then things may change so the only thing to do is look forward to the first release!
I prefer that kind of combat system too, I suck at sliders and am a sucker for vintage JRPG turned based combat.

Some_Guy86

Apr 12, 2023
I was playing one of the "Monkey Island" games the other day, and asked myself wouldn't it be hilarious to introduce "Insult Ghost Fighting" into Dark Dimensions.

I could almost visualize Danny and Octopuss, exchanging the insults: "You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee" and having Octopuss answering Danny back with "I look that much like your fiancee?" :)

Yes, yes, I realize that the game is copyrighted and all that legal mumbo-jumbo, which now belongs to Disney corporation but I'm sure that writers could come up with something similar if they wanted to, equally clever & amusing.

gemini20xx

Oct 17, 2017
I was playing one of the "Monkey Island" games the other day, and asked myself wouldn't it be hilarious to introduce "Insult Ghost Fighting" into Dark Dimensions.

I could almost visualize Danny and Octopuss, exchanging the insults: "You're as repulsive as a monkey in a negligee" and having Octopuss answering Danny back with "I look that much like your fiancee?" :)

Yes, yes, I realize that the game is copyrighted and all that legal mumbo-jumbo, which now belongs to Disney corporation but I'm sure that writers could come up with something similar if they wanted to, equally clever & amusing.
I highly doubt they could copyright that, given that its essentially just rock-paper-scissors when you really think about it.

Some_Guy86

Apr 12, 2023
I highly doubt they could copyright that, given that its essentially just rock-paper-scissors when you really think about it.
Perhaps not the insult sword fighting, no. I was actually referring to the exact lines, used in (The Curse of) Monkey Island.

The game was made & distributed by Lucas Arts, which now belongs to Disney (so does Lucas Film), and these guys are notorious for copyright claims. That being said, I'm sure something similar (yet different) would work out fine, assuming devs would even consider it over the current gameplay mechanics.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: gemini20xx

gemini20xx

Oct 17, 2017
The game was made & distributed by Lucas Arts, which now belongs to Disney (so does Lucas Film), and these guys are notorious for copyright claims.
Ah, I forgot about that. I honestly can't wait to see what kind of stink they'll try to kick up over Screamboat.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Some_Guy86
May 8, 2023
Looking forward to when the first build comes out, liking the look of the game's assets and features so far, especially the art. I'm not 100% on the combat system but that's more due to personal preference for a bit more strategy and diversity in what you can do, but even then things may change so the only thing to do is look forward to the first release!
I prefer a combat system that has your ordindary "attack, skill, item, defend" sorta thing. I mostly want there to be accessories and such to encourage builds like maybe you want to run a tanky danny or a glasscannon danny.

Diamond lou

Apr 17, 2018
I prefer a combat system that has your ordindary "attack, skill, item, defend" sorta thing. I mostly want there to be accessories and such to encourage builds like maybe you want to run a tanky danny or a glasscannon danny.
Definitely a fan of those types yeah, lot of creativity and strategy that makes seeing your build winning pretty rewarding, but I can fully respect the decision of the developers to focus on the story and such first and foremost.

Some_Guy86

Apr 12, 2023
I agree on what's been said above. Personally, I would prefer better fighting mechanics myself, like the one Amity Park had.

That being said, both Amity Park & Dark Dimensions are story-driven games, and not ghost-fighting simulators. Therefore it makes sense for devs to prioritize the story over fighting mechanics, which (I'm guessing) isn't going to play a crucial role in the story anyway.

One thing I /would/ like to see however is the ability to skip the fight entirely, for those with slow reaction time :) Because I remember playing the earlier versions of Amity Park (2020, early 2021) and those were quite literally forcing you to win the fight, telling the player how "Giving up is not an option", or something along those lines.

Last edited:

Morah SDG

Development Consultant & Revision's Supervisor
Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
I agree on what's been said above. Personally, I would prefer better fighting mechanics myself, like the one Amity Park had.

That being said, both Amity Park & Dark Dimensions are story-driven games, and not ghost-fighting simulators. Therefore it makes sense for devs to prioritize the story over fighting mechanics, which (I'm guessing) isn't going to play a crucial role in the story anyway.

One thing I /would/ like to see however is the ability to skip the fight entirely, for those with slow reaction time :) Because I remember playing the earlier versions of Amity Park (2020, early 2021) and those were quite literally forcing you to win the fight, telling the player how "Giving up is not an option", or something along those lines.
Some notes we've recieved from Epadder:
Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 1.30.34 PM.png

The gif in question he used as well:

sonic-unleashed-quick-time-event.gif

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
All good, but I'm slightly confused... I thought Nurse Kate was Star's mom and not Connie Spears?
It’s not like we can make Stars mom the same name, it’s technically an original GZone character. so we change not only her name but her occupation as well to help differentiate these two separate versions.

Some_Guy86

Apr 12, 2023
If not like we can make stars mom the same name, it’s technically an original GZone character. so we change not only her name but her occupation as well to help differentiate these two separate versions.
Oooh, so Nurse Kate was not a canon character? See, this is where my lack of Danny Phantom knowledge causes problems.

Was she even featured in the original show?

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
If not like we can make stars mom the same name, it’s technically an original GZone character. so we change not only her name but her occupation as well to help differentiate these two separate versions.
I’m also reminded of the fact that there is technically another character named Connie, who works for genius magazine, from the skulker episode with the female gorilla. However, I think it will be fine to adopt that name for our character instead, with the likelihood of that journalist reappearing very, very low.

Morah SDG

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Oooh, so Nurse Kate was not a canon character? See, this is where my lack of Danny Phantom knowledge causes problems.

Was she even featured in the original show?
Nope. Star herself was an ancillary side character, she’s not featured that heavily in any real storyline.

errte13

Oct 6, 2020
So that's what the demo/first release will have, sounds all good to me. AP's Kate was a kind nurse, quite different to her daughter. I assume Connie will be different to Kate, since it seems her politics/agenda will affect the story. Maybe she's the ruthless lady boss type? Have a kind public persona, but severe in private settings? Since we have a crazy cliffhanger maybe she'll blackmail Danny? :unsure:
Also, do you have an estimated time of the first release? How many months is that away?