• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM None [Translation Request] Genie's Labyrinth [Kurowashiya]

TinyTaco

Jun 28, 2017
1.14 update out as of July 22, looks like it primarily adjusts the way breasts look so they're facing forward instead of pointing sideways. Very nice visual option that can be toggled if you liked the old style more.

thefisto69

Nov 5, 2019
1.14 update out as of July 22, looks like it primarily adjusts the way breasts look so they're facing forward instead of pointing sideways. Very nice visual option that can be toggled if you liked the old style more.
yea unfortunately i dont think we gonna get any translation on this. tried with an auto translator as well. its just too hard sadly

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
I don't consider myself an "MTL pro", whatever that means, but here and on ULMF I did a few translations for games nobody was able to reverse-engineer (or maybe just didn't care that much about).

I'm willing to take a look if you provide me with actual version of the game. Latest version shared on infamous cat site is 1.07.

TinyTaco

Jun 28, 2017
fresh from the source

Japanese locale or some equivalent is absolutely required for this one to work. Opening it up it otherwise just goes to a blank screen
Also attached my save folder with all of my progression saves up to and including the last boss unlocked in save #21.

Last edited:

Nick_1357

Aug 4, 2017
fresh from the source

Japanese locale or some equivalent is absolutely required for this one to work. Opening it up it otherwise just goes to a blank screen
Also attached my save folder with all of my progression saves up to and including the last boss unlocked in save #21.
Can confirm that this is ver 1.15

thefisto69

Nov 5, 2019
Thought this would be dead lol but, can also confirm that this is working and tested it with japanese locale. Best of luck Rotten!

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
fresh from the source
Thank you!

At this time I can't make it run under wine or in a VM (game launches, it makes sound on pressing arrow keys, but screen is pitch black). I hope to find a way to make it work later.
Though it seems to work fine in Windows on real hardware, with Japanese locale of course.

Best of luck Rotten!
Thanks. I've managed to decrypt `data2/prg.dat`, which seems to contain the bulk of game's Ruby code.
I did it by first decrypting `Game.rgss2a` by usual method (that much should be obvious to everyone) and then opening the game in VX editor and adding a bit of my own code to "ライブラリ読み込み" ("Library read") script. A very simple trick, really, far less complicated that my initial approach directed at reverse-engineering `dd.dll`.

I plan to decrypt everything I can and to modify the game to make it run in unpacked state, reading files from filesystem and not from these .dat and .arc custom archives.

This rabbit hole seems promising. Don't expect any quick results though.

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
Hey there!

As you may have noticed, this translation project is taking forever, mainly because I have almost no time to work on it due to IRL stuff.
I decided to post my current progress as a git repository:

I've extracted all of game's custom Ruby scripts to `data2/prg` and made the game actually load them from filesystem, and not from encrypted archives (which I deleted in the same commit to prevent confusion). That means that you can tinker with code as you like, launch the game and observe effects of your changes. See .

I could not yet manage to make the game run on Linux or, at least, in a virtual machine (I used VirtualBox, btw). Due to this reason I did not yet start translation proper, as doing something makes no sense if I can't check if my efforts cause desired result and it is excruciatingly painful to reboot my PC into spyware-OS every damn time I want to launch this game.

I think that all of the text to translate is located either in already decrypted files or in some .data files in data2 directory. Those are marshalled Ruby objects. If the first assumption is correct, then translation efforts should encounter no more major problems. See for example.

I tried to make every step worth mentioning into its own commit, though some of those commits are quite large (e.g. in one commit every extracted ruby file is modified by a code formatter).

I plan to continue working on this little project on "when I have time and energy to do it" basis.

Everyone is welcome to continue where I left off, fork, send pull/merge requests, send me questions, discuss, etc.

Reactions: Nick_1357

Cerulite

Oct 28, 2018
Hey there!

As you may have noticed, this translation project is taking forever, mainly because I have almost no time to work on it due to IRL stuff.
I decided to post my current progress as a git repository:

Not sure why, but when I try to run the version on your link, Windows gives me the error in the first attached image three times and the actual game window gives me the second image. Changing the soft link in Game.ini from 'E' to 'J' gets rid of this issue, but at the same time there's absolutely nothing translated.

Not sure if this is just the current state of the translation so forgive me if that's the case, I just wanted to report the issue with the 'not a valid win32 application' and 'bad image file' windows I got.

Absolutely stoked for this game to get a translation and I wish you all the luck in the world. I've gathered from multiple threads that this game is a nightmare to translate, so I really appreciate people who give their all tackling headaches like these.

Keep being awesome!

Reactions: RottenCitizen

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
there's absolutely nothing translated
Not sure if this is just the current state of the translation
Sadly, yes, nothing is yet translated.
AFAIK people who tried to translate this game before complained about its encryption. The repository in its current state mainly demonstrates how to decrypt 'prg.dat' file with all of game's code (and likely with all text to translate), and how to make all that stuff editable.

Changing the soft link in Game.ini from 'E' to 'J' gets rid of this issue, but at the same time there's absolutely nothing translated.
Yeah, you did everything right. Kudos to you for fixing the problem yourself!
The problem is that 'RGSS202E.dll' file is a so-called 'softlink' which are used everywhere on Unixes and are less known and used in Windows world. It seems like it broke when you cloned the git repo. For some reason it actually works as-is on my Windows installations, both VM and real hardware.

I created this softlink in the first place to make english version of RPG Maker VX editor happy. It wrote 'RGSS202E.dll' into 'Game.ini' every time I opened the game project to edit it and then complained that there is no such file. So I just created a link to japanese version of the DLL, committed it and quickly forgot about it. As all files of interest are extracted now we don't actually need the editor at all and your fix is absolutely appropriate.

Absolutely stoked for this game to get a translation and I wish you all the luck in the world
Thanks! I too hope that I can finish this project, or at least to make it possible for someone else to actually translate everything.

I've gathered from multiple threads that this game is a nightmare to translate
Not really. Just everything there is custom - data storage formats, encryption, GPU-accelerated graphics engine, etc. Over 70k lines of Ruby scripts plus a few win32 DLLs.
If that japanese dude did everything he (its most probaby "he") did just for this single game I have mad respect for him. I just love those who do something beyond the ordinary.

Reactions: Cerulite

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
In case you are wondering, then no, I didn't give up. Not yet.

But Cerulite was right - this game is a nightmare to translate.

Currently I'm working on new iteration of my own tool to extract and replace text in a very flexible manner. Today I've added a module that parses Ruby code.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

No surprises here, but as it turns out, there is a fuckton of relevant text in script files. Many possibilities to break something when translating it. This situation calls for implementing special checks, and probably verifying each string manually.

I still fail to make the game render graphics when running under Wine or a VM. I didn't research it seriously yet though. If you have any suggestions then let me know.

thefisto69

Nov 5, 2019
If I had any brains or was well versed into the coding world I would offer but sadly it is not my forte. But hey need help with guns I can help lmao. Don't kill yourself over this game if anything. It may look amazing but honestly there are so many games and better things to do in life. I appreciate the effort and time you have put into it, be sure to take care of yourself and if anyone else says otherwise, they are cunts lmao.

RottenCitizen

Aug 27, 2020
If I had any brains or was well versed into the coding world I would offer but sadly it is not my forte. But hey need help with guns I can help lmao. Don't kill yourself over this game if anything. It may look amazing but honestly there are so many games and better things to do in life. I appreciate the effort and time you have put into it, be sure to take care of yourself and if anyone else says otherwise, they are cunts lmao.
Thanks! Don't worry, that's my own method of procrastination if anything. It's even quite fun when used in moderation ;)

TinyTaco

Jun 28, 2017
In case you are wondering, then no, I didn't give up. Not yet.

But Cerulite was right - this game is a nightmare to translate.

Currently I'm working on new iteration of my own tool to extract and replace text in a very flexible manner. Today I've added a module that parses Ruby code.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

No surprises here, but as it turns out, there is a fuckton of relevant text in script files. Many possibilities to break something when translating it. This situation calls for implementing special checks, and probably verifying each string manually.

I still fail to make the game render graphics when running under Wine or a VM. I didn't research it seriously yet though. If you have any suggestions then let me know.
Damn, you are a trooper. The most I can do is offer my continued encouragement and thanks for this undertaking/even attempting this since I don't know shit about coding.