• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

RPGM None [Translation Request] Genie's Labyrinth [Kurowashiya]

HippoPie

Jan 10, 2020
No update (yet).

I'm still alive, but not feeling myself very well. Real-world responsibilities have been weighting heavily on me for the past two weeks and I haven't had the energy to poke around in this game. I'm tired, but hope to find some time on this week, maybe weekends.
No worries. Life has been coming at me with deadlines and other things as well, so I can't really begin translating right away. Take care of yourself first before some H-game that you aren't even being paid to work on.

• Hey there
Reactions: RottenCitizen

Fibbers

Jul 28, 2020
I don't know what possessed me, but I've spent far too much time reading through lines upon lines of code and dialogue.
So, I've taken the liberty of translating a chunk of the game. I say translate, but it was mostly MTL with me coming back in with my rudimentary Japanese to make most of the sentences more understandable. Expect typos.

Most of the H-Attacks and H-Dialogue have been translated as those where the files that have been already decrypted. The settings menu is also mostly translated and some NPC dialogue. The only thing that I could not directly translate were items, enemy names, skills, boss talks, and battle logs. There are also some sprites that would need to be redrawn.

I believe the remaining untranslated text is encrypted inside the data2 folder as .dat files. If anyone wants to figure out how to decrypt them so they're directly editable in notepad++, maybe I'll spend some time to translate the rest of the game. Also, I haven't played through the entire game since I've translated it, only checked to see if I didn't crash loading and walking around the home base. I make no promises.

Anyway here it is:
You can get the game a little more understandable by using MTool and using the built in translation feature which will translate some of the items and skills, but it's not completely accurate and may have item descriptions continue outside of the text window.

Edit:
2022/11/14
Small bug with crashing on looking at boss parameters have been fixed. If you encounter any more bugs, feel free to let me know and I'll try to fix them in my free time.

2022/12/9
I've figured how to redraw sprites, so some of the graphics on the menu and equipment and the enemy parameters have now been translated. May finish more when I'm not so busy.

View attachment 2224912 View attachment 2224922
Sir, how do I deal with this
1686321286899.png

Fibbers

Jul 28, 2020
Try running the game using a Japanese Emulator or set your system to Japanese. Usually fixes most of the issues with Japanese games.
Nothing works. After I extracted the game with Winrar in japanese locale and started the game with locale emulator, it just crashes, leaving a 'memory dump file'

HippoPie

Jan 10, 2020
Nothing works. After I extracted the game with Winrar in japanese locale and started the game with locale emulator, it just crashes, leaving a 'memory dump file'
Do you have the runtime package for this version of RPGMaker also installed? If that doesn't work then I'm not sure there is much I can do.

Luin

Jul 4, 2018
After spending an obscene amount of time, trying to get this game to run I've finally managed to do it. However, I could only get this version to launch and go beyond the splash screen, not the other one.
fresh from the source
This one, sadly can't recognise paths to files/filenames with japanese characters (displays them as ????) or unconverted jibberish containing special characters. No matter what I tried it just couldn't run.
Anyway here it is:
Now, the weird thing is that the original game runs fine even without locale emulators. I'm on Windows 10 with japanese language pack installed, but my non-unicode system language is not Japanese (and I'd like to keep it that way). I usually unzip things with Bandizip, since it allows me to choose the proper code page for japanese filenames. In this case, however, extracting with japanese code page breaks the game. It won't load beyond splashscreen.

So, counter intuitively, if you unzip things with the default code page selected, then it will still be playable with a little trick. You have to rename the game's folder to something in english, also you have to go to the "user\toke" directory from the game's main folder and rename at least all the other txt files after the 1_<something>.txt. Then the game will be able to load. If you want you can rename those txt files to their translated english meanings as follows: 1_Shy.txt, 2_Regular.txt, 3_Archaic.txt, 4_Kansai.txt. They provide options for player character's speaking style during combat\ero events.

Additionally, you can enable the heroine's voice over with file renaming in different folder. It's located under "Audio\VO" and similar to the previous case you can rename numbered folders there to their english equivalents: 1_Girl, 2_Girl2, 3_Hag, 4_Loli
Hope, this helps someone else to run the game. It's quite good.

Reactions: Nick_1357