HTML [SugarCube2] Any way to call a macro with a closing tag through JS on an existing element?

Satori6

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2023
Macros that don't need a closing tag are pretty straight forward by using jQuery's wiki method.

However, when trying to call a macro that requires a closing tag through JS, I'm having the following issue:
Untitled.png

The problem is that the macro is being called twice: once to add the macro tag, and another one to close it.
I've tried using a mixture of append and prepend, but the issue remains since they are separate operations.

I've found two workarounds: the first is to obviously rewrite the macro as pure JS, which is not ideal; reinventing the wheel and all that.

The second is to call the macro and include the text within the same call, that way you can include both tags together:
Code:
$('#testfade').wiki('<<fadein 10s>>'+content+'<</fadein>>');
This works fine, but I'd still like to see if anybody knows a way to do it while the content is already present on the document.

guest1492

Apr 28, 2018
The second way is pretty much how it's done... Each wiki call is a separate call to the parser. It's only natural you get broken code if you try to parse only half of it a time.

Side note:
If you are using Chapel's <<fadein>> macro, it utilizes jQuery's . Since you are already using jQuery, why not just use that instead of going through a macro? I wouldn't call that rewriting it in JS but more like stripping it down.

Reactions: Satori6

Satori6

Game Developer
Aug 29, 2023
The second way is pretty much how it's done... Each wiki call is a separate call to the parser. It's only natural you get broken code if you try to parse only half of it a time.

Side note:
If you are using Chapel's <<fadein>> macro, it utilizes jQuery's . Since you are already using jQuery, why not just use that instead of going through a macro? I wouldn't call that rewriting it in JS but more like stripping it down.

Thank you! I'll look into that for future use.

I ended up abandoning the JS idea for this part because due to the way that part was implemented, I ended up having to make a dirty "hack" with a finally block and a timer to get the desired result, and it was only going to get nastier from there.