Your opinion on Koikatu! / Koikatsu! games.

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
I have been working for several weeks on a VN using Koikatsu.

I put a lot of effort in this game and i've been fairly enjoying creating it, although with the wave of Koikatsu game hitting the internet, I am Wondering.

Do you feel like there is too much Koikatsu games ATM ?

I can of course provide screenshots of my game that is still in progress to illustrate my work, or talk a bit more about it.

Although i am Mainly looking for opinions on the software, I definitly don't want to disapoint with an overused software, or a quality that might be "questionnable".

riktor

Nov 26, 2018
I don't know enough to determine which games were made using it in the first place, unless explicitly stated. That aside, the art is really a tertiary concern for me, I place far more importance on story and game mechanics.

Reactions: Stronkboi

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I am fine with them, my main dislike about it is probably how flat everything looks. Also for some reason for a while now a lot of newer games both adult and regular coming out of japan have been using a semi similar aesthetic to koikatu causing a slight tiredness of the style.

However I wish you luck, and say if you like doing it, then keep at it. Shouldn't matter if we are fans of koikatu.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
Hello, I am a BIG fan of Koikatu games and I released the v0.1 of my game (done in Koikatu of course) a few weeks ago (it's in my signature if you are interested)

Do you feel like there is too much Koikatsu games ATM?
No. The answer is a huge no.

You have literally 15 games done in Koikatu, all of them listed in that post, 4 of them are abandoned or dead and 2 are just a meme so you have only 9 active games (6 of them were released in the last 1-2 months).

I would like to see some pictures of your game if you already have something to show. I would really like to see more Koikatu games in this word.

Last edited:

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
I'll post screenshot from the earliest state of Dev, when my scenes were undersized and in poor quality due to my lack of knowledge in Koi and some New scenes, better and way cleaner that I was able to do while learning more about Studio, that way I can have opinions on the evolution curve & on the style i'm using.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Now while looking at those screenshots, I wonder if even though the beginning was a bit "crunky" Is the game good to see, I definitly don't want it to have a "rushed" kind of feel.

The game is almost ready for a 0.1 Release, and I am looking for feedback on what you guys could look for inside a Koi game, Of course it's unfortunatly not an open world game it follows a storyline, with choices that unlock different scenes / possibilities in the future as of the story itself, I guess i'll post a Synopsis the day i'll release it here!

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I'll post screenshot from the earliest state of Dev, when my scenes were undersized and in poor quality due to my lack of knowledge in Koi and some New scenes, better and way cleaner that I was able to do while learning more about Studio, that way I can have opinions on the evolution curve & on the style i'm using.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Now while looking at those screenshots, I wonder if even though the beginning was a bit "crunky" Is the game good to see, I definitly don't want it to have a "rushed" kind of feel.

The game is almost ready for a 0.1 Release, and I am looking for feedback on what you guys could look for inside a Koi game, Of course it's unfortunatly not an open world game it follows a storyline, with choices that unlock different scenes / possibilities in the future as of the story itself, I guess i'll post a Synopsis the day i'll release it here!
It looks good, in my personal experience I still didn't meet a developer that doesn't think that his beginnings are "crunky" or bad, and as a developer I have experienced the learning curve (at least part of it) that Koikatu has, with that being said I don't see to much crunkyness in that first picture and in the third picture I can already tell that girl seems like best girl to me, so yeah, good work.

Armonie

二形 ~ 変態
Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2017
What I like about koikatsu is that depending on the creation you get completely different styles, as you could do with paper and pencil.
If we find some similar animations from one game to an other, everyone improves them in their own way.
In any case, I'm happy to have found other people who understand the reason for my visual choice.

Good luck with your project, and don't hesitate if I can help.

Stronkboi

Game Developer
Nov 29, 2017
Thanks for your opinions, I look forward to the release, Ngl seeing a shower of Koi games quite made me wonder if people wouldn't feel overwhelmed in the same artstyle i'm glad to see that the community doesn't think that.

Armonie

二形 ~ 変態
Donor
Game Developer
May 28, 2017
Thanks for your opinions, I look forward to the release, Ngl seeing a shower of Koi games quite made me wonder if people wouldn't feel overwhelmed in the same artstyle i'm glad to see that the community doesn't think that.
Compared to the developers on Daz and PlayHome, we're still a very small minority, don't worry about it.
After that it is sure that drawing your own characters (I mean on paper for scanning or on a graphic tablet) is much more personal but it is also much, much, more longer and difficult.

<--- Six hours for this fucking avatar drawing. ^^'

Oshitari Azumi

Who's the strongest Nobbu?!
Donor
May 23, 2017
I have been working for several weeks on a VN using Koikatsu.

I put a lot of effort in this game and i've been fairly enjoying creating it, although with the wave of Koikatsu game hitting the internet, I am Wondering.

Do you feel like there is too much Koikatsu games ATM ?

I can of course provide screenshots of my game that is still in progress to illustrate my work, or talk a bit more about it.

Although i am Mainly looking for opinions on the software, I definitly don't want to disapoint with an overused software, or a quality that might be "questionnable".
I can only speak for myself, but personally I'm fine with any game that uses an Illusion product as long as they character aren't. I don't know. Intentionally made ugly or something?
Personally, if any game is made using an Illusion product, I'll probably check it out no matter what.

zachapariah

Oct 26, 2021
i'm a big fan of koikatsu's character creator and i have only started to scratch the surface of what studio can do. the depth & detail of the character mechanics, as well as the pretty massive inventory of clothing coordinates/accessory zipmods to work with make it really hard to run out of idea's. i've created bgc hardsuits with typhoon moto-armor, cyclone ride armor with drives using every power source, from fantasy to scifi and everything in between, neo-death knights, etc. every idea i throw at it, there's usually the pieces and parts to work with to make it happen. if not, there's such a support base of resources that it doesn't take very long to find what i'm looking for.
and so on and forth.
in the end it's what you make of it. if ya like it. ya like it. if ya don't. ya don't.
if you can create something to put back into the mix......

just sayin'.

Mad_Doc

Game Developer
Jul 5, 2022
As you can probably guess, I like KK and actually prefer it to DAZ or HS2. I feel some KK devs don't take advantage of many of the CharaStudio and Charamaker features to make their games look better.
By utilizing shaders, lights/shadows, body overlays and tweaking with textures and body overlays you can really make KK characters look good.
The only thing which kinda looks wack in KK are the locations, many are rather low res unfortunately and look worse than HS2 for example.

As for your chars from the screenshot - they look fine but I would debulb their heads. Look at KK Discord if you dont know how to do it.