VN Ren'Py Writing tools for a Ren'Py VN or in General?

JohnSheridan

Apr 13, 2018
I'd like to start writing a VN but I'm wondering what method writers use to track all the branches of their story. I pretty sure I'm going to use Ren'Py for the final project but I'm far far from doing any like that. I just want to plan out and write my story first.

Is the best way to write it while programming it in Ren'Py or is there a tool just for writing?
I almost want a flowchart program or something.

All the programs suggested in this thread just list final project programs. I'm just writing/planning.

I hope there was enough information in this post. Thanks for any help.

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
Twine, a tool from that thread, could be used in the planning stages. I found it a bit of a ball ache personally. Just didn't mesh with me. Mostly because it felt like I'd have to make the story fit Twine's syntax then rejigger it for Ren'Py. I think I would only use it as a high level overview. Honestly though, if all you want is a high level "map" of the paths you could probably get away with Visio. I'm just using plain old Word for now with titles and sections. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[EDIT] So to be more clear, you can use links in Word to jump to other sections of the same document. So if you've included good headers, you can use those. If not, you can add a bookmark in the document and then add a link to the bookmark.

Reactions: JohnSheridan

JohnSheridan

Apr 13, 2018
Thanks for the reply GuyFreely. It sent me down a path of exploration that helped me learn a lot.
I looked and tried a few programs similar to Visio and they were exactly what I was looking for but turns out not what I needed. :) I think I'm going to try using Word to begin with. Have a wonderful day!

Reactions: GuyFreely

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I use Google Drive, so that way I can access dialogues from my desktop and when inspiration strikes out in the world.

Reactions: Salami Pasta