Windows 7 to Windows 10: Having trouble loading saved Ren'Py games

Renzon

Mar 24, 2017
Hey all. I'm wondering if someone knows how to help me fix a problem that's plaguing nearly every Ren'Py game I've downloaded.

The games load fine. My issue is the saves don't show up to load. I played these games on my Win7 pc, but my fan failed and now I'm using my laptop which is Win10. Some games, I don't remember which, had saves that load fine. For a few games I tried, the placement of the saves showed up correctly on the save/load pages they're supposed to. I think that has something to do with the date they were saved. The saves that came up were closer to the date I launched the updated version, but there rest don't show up.

I tried changing the compatibility on the .exe to windows 7 to see if that worked, but it doesn't work. I copied the old save files to the current version's save directory and the save/load page location came up correctly. I launched the previous Become A Rock Star 0.55. The saves don't show up, but the last saves I made were on page 15. I copied the newest save files in that folder to the 0.60 save folder and launched 0.60. Page 15 comes up, but the saves aren't there.

I have a number of different routes for that game and I'd rather not go through the entire thing again. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
are you putting the saves in the proper locations?

C:/user/Appdata/Roaming/RenPy

Reactions: Renzon

M$hot

May 28, 2017
Theoretically Windows 7 should store saves in C:/Users/*user*/AppData/Roaming/RenPy/*game*/ and Windows 10 stores them in C:/Users/*user*/AppData/Roaming/RenPy/*game*/
The *word* denote something for you to fill in, your user profile for *user* and the game you want to grab the saves from in *game*

What I'm thinking is that perhaps since you launch the game 'clean' on a new OS, it's making a new folder under the same name where it stores your saves? So perhaps if you can find the identical folder that was created for your Windows 7 playthough and copy/paste the saves to the newly created folder? Because to the best of my knowledge, the path is exactly the same. You can see here that I have 3 save folders for 1 game. Plus the path (minus the name, you don't need to know that)

Hope this helps, if not, someone smarter will be by to help I'm sure.

Reactions: Renzon

Renzon

Mar 24, 2017
I think I see the issue. I have the games on an external drive and since I didn't know to get the saves from the AppData location, the saves themselves in the save folder aren't worth much.

Thanks you two.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: M$hot

SirWilliam

Feb 16, 2019
Hey all. I'm wondering if someone knows how to help me fix a problem that's plaguing nearly every Ren'Py game I've downloaded.

The games load fine. My issue is the saves don't show up to load. I played these games on my Win7 pc, but my fan failed and now I'm using my laptop which is Win10. Some games, I don't remember which, had saves that load fine. For a few games I tried, the placement of the saves showed up correctly on the save/load pages they're supposed to. I think that has something to do with the date they were saved. The saves that came up were closer to the date I launched the updated version, but there rest don't show up.

I tried changing the compatibility on the .exe to windows 7 to see if that worked, but it doesn't work. I copied the old save files to the current version's save directory and the save/load page location came up correctly. I launched the previous Become A Rock Star 0.55. The saves don't show up, but the last saves I made were on page 15. I copied the newest save files in that folder to the 0.60 save folder and launched 0.60. Page 15 comes up, but the saves aren't there.

I have a number of different routes for that game and I'd rather not go through the entire thing again. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it.
how do i change games Icon i went to Properties icons showing something desktop i am on windows 10