• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Will using internet memes in my Ren'Py game, even just the sounds, get me sent to jail?

Axyal

Nov 24, 2019
I'd like to create a game with a lot of humor.
Memes are an excellent means for that, including well-known sounds like 'Wasted' from GTA5 and many others.
But do you think I'm taking risks for short and brief sounds like those from memes?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
But do you think I'm taking risks for short and brief sounds like those from memes?
Legally, it depend. Memes are de facto in public domain, but sound are copyrighted.

But in terms of success for your game, probably yes, because unlike what you believe, memes are not an excellent means for humor. Firstly, because they address a relatively small part of your potential players. Secondly, because among that small part, a minority will find "that meme" funny. Thirdly, because they are the cheapest form of humor. Fourthly, because if you need to put cheap humor in your game, it mean that even you don't believe in what you are doing.
While humor have its place in games, there's a difference between being funny and being a comedian. People will have many different reason to play your game, expecting a good laugh will rarely be one of them.

After, what I'm saying is just me talking. I'm sure that a modern /b/stard don't care about my opinion.

Reactions: GNVE and Axyal

Axyal

Nov 24, 2019
Thank you.
Yes i want only put some sounds. And yes you are right, i'll risk to attracts somes troubles for maybe nothing.
I already found some alternatives.
Thanks for your opinion!

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Using Memes in your adult Renpy game?

You're in big trouble!

1699267590073.gif

Last edited:

fooslock

Feb 15, 2020
No, worse.

EpN_3XhXYAIhvBK.jpg

Memes are copyrighted materials, even if they aren't trademarked. Copyrights exist by the people that make the meme. It's more complicated than that, but yes, legal action can be taken against you. Warner Brothers go sued by Nyancat maker for swiping it.

Now, will they actually do it? No, probably not unless you get big. Even if they did, realistically speaking, you'd probably just have to delete the meme reference and you're right as rain again.

(Note: This is U.S. specific knowledge, I am not a lawyer or your lawyer, geographical restrictions apply)