Davox

Jul 15, 2017
The latest update on progress is that the end of December probably isn't achievable.

SirTwist

Nov 5, 2017
Here is my understanding as things currently stand. One, the Rags version will be getting an update at some point in the near future. Possibly before Christmas, but may not happen. The Rags will continue for a while, and even after the new engine is out. The current, 0.7, is being tested by a few people, and will be released when the results are in.

scarfer

Nov 4, 2017
If you're referring to this post from WT in the Rags thread on the Hypnopics forum...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I'm certain this is referring to the new engine, not the RAGS, mainly because the RAGS was never a collaborative effort, and the comment suggests such.

When he's said before that the RAGS game is not dead, I think he means he's got the file somewhere safe and, if there's a catastrophic failure of the new engine so it cannot even be released, he can fall back to updating in RAGS. Given >13 months have come and gone since an update of the RAGS version, I don't see a reason to believe he's currently working on it. 'Working on it' and 'not dead' are 2 different states.

TBH, since the machine I had that ran 2.4.16 is in a dumpster somewhere now, if he had to fall back to RAGS, I'd probably never play it again.

SirTwist

Nov 5, 2017
Here it is from Wife Trainer, "Not necessarily. I'm still updating content for Rags. If the new engine works as well as I expect, however, there may be no need to continue to maintain the Rags engine. I'm not killing Rags, however, until the new engine is live and I can confirm that Rags is no longer needed."

The line is from September. This means, simply put, that he is working on both the new engine AND the Rags version both. And I can confirm that he is doing both because he said so, himself. So, it might be helpful to be able to use Rags 2.4.1.6 in the near future. And this tells me it's him that is doing the work, but he has a few select testers for the game itself. Possibly more than that.
"If I got all of the remaining content that's out on assignment back next week, then we'd be able to have the new version released this year.

In practice, though, there's no way that's going to happen. It's a volunteer group, a couple of whom have put in a tonne of time already, and others of whom have contributed when and as they can. Some of the existing assignments will no doubt need to be re-assigned. How many and who (besides me) has time to help finish them off over the remainder of December is what's going to dictate the timing of the release."

scarfer

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah, I posted that quote in the spoiler, and I still think it refers to the new engine, based on the phrasing he used. If he told you, specifically, that he intends to post a new update to the RAGS version, great, but I wonder why hasn't he posted that anywhere else. It would at least remove doubt about what is coming, if not when.

SirTwist

Nov 5, 2017
On Sept. 11, Wife Trainer said that he working on the Rags version. So there will be a new Rags version, when the new engine comes out. The new engine is being worked on by a team of people. The new version will be 0.7. The new engine is still being worked on, expanded, etc. The Rags version will be out at about the same time. The Rags version will be continued until the new engine is far enough along that makes Rags obsolete. I do believe the new engine is Ren'py.

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
There is so much waffle in this thread:

1) The new version is s custom built engine but based largely on Ren'py
2) The custom engine is being developed by a group of volunteers under WT guidance
3) WT isn't doing any of the coding for the the new engine. He is writing stories and finding associated images for the characters currently in the game. This writing could be ported to either engine.
4) If the new platform is a success then the Rags version will end
5) As of now there is no indication of when new content will be released or when the new engine will be released.
6) Regardless of the outcome there will continue be 2 versions of the versions of the game
i) The official WT version (could be rags or the new engine) this will be vanilla WT and will probably still have cheat protection in it
ii) The Modded non vanilla version, this will be new engine only and will be the vanilla version +what ever mods/cheats the community can come up with.

I've chatted to WT a few times on the hypnotics forum and my own opinion is that so much time has been spent on the new engine that it unlikely we'll see a Rags version unless something is horribly wrong with the new engine. In which case fire fighting the issues of the new engine will probably mean a new rags version is a long way off.

Reactions: sp1ker

SirTwist

Nov 5, 2017
On Sept. 11, Wife Trainer said that he working on the Rags version. So there will be a new Rags version, when the new engine comes out. The new engine is being worked on by a team of people. The new version will be 0.7. The new engine is still being worked on, expanded, etc. The Rags version will be out at about the same time. The Rags version will be continued until the new engine is far enough along that makes Rags obsolete. I do believe the new engine is Ren'py.

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
On Sept. 11, Wife Trainer said that he working on the Rags version. So there will be a new Rags version...
...I do believe the new engine is Ren'py
This is what I mean about waffle, you are just creating unnecessary confusion

That is not exactly what he said. In reply to a question of whether the Rags version was dead or not WT said...

(is rags dead)... Not necessarily. I'm still updating content for Rags. If the new engine works as well as I expect, however, there may be no need to continue to maintain the Rags engine. I'm not killing Rags, however, until the new engine is live and I can confirm that Rags is no longer needed...
...The new engine is going to hit the streets with all of the existing content in Rags, plus some new content
Not necessarily ... as in in it might be dead it might not be. There is no definitive mention of a new rags version coming out anywhere in WT's posts.

WT also states a few page back that he doesn't have the ability to port content to the new engine himself. As the new engine isn't finished if he wants to add new content he needs to do it Rags first, his team can then port it over to the new engine. Which is why updating content in RAGS doesn't necessarily mean its for the purpose of a new release. WT has stated that the new engine will have new content.

If you were WT would you release an updated Rags version and a completely new engine with updated content and then have to deal with storm testing for 2 things at once or would you just release the new engine and have all player fault reporting on one thing?

As for my point 1 on the engine, On a previous page WT states...

...the new engine is more Python using Ren'py for easy of coding than true Ren'py as you may be used to seeing it.
Can we stop the waffle and stating opinion as fact.

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
TBH, since the machine I had that ran 2.4.16 is in a dumpster somewhere now, if he had to fall back to RAGS, I'd probably never play it again.
FYI - if you ever need to play the game in Rags there is a link to the correct version in the OP of the mod thread ;)

Reactions: scarfer

SirTwist

Nov 5, 2017
Here are the facts. No waffling, or anything else. There will be a new Rags version of Wife Trainer, 0.7. There will also be a new engine, Ren'py based, for a new game of Wife Trainer. the new engine will incorporate all of Wife Trainer Rags, and new elements.

This part is speculation, I believe we may see a new version before the new year. But the new version could be after. The when is up in the air. Right now.

scarfer

Nov 4, 2017
FYI - if you ever need to play the game in Rags there is a link to the correct version in the OP of the mod thread ;)

Yeah, I just don't know if I want to go through the process of trying to get 2.4.16 to work with Win 10. It would probably only be for this game anyway, so if I don't need it...

But TY for the link

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
Here are the facts. No waffling, or anything else. There will be a new Rags version of Wife Trainer, 0.7. There will also be a new engine, Ren'py based, for a new game of Wife Trainer. the new engine will incorporate all of Wife Trainer Rags, and new elements.

This part is speculation, I believe we may see a new version before the new year. But the new version could be after. The when is up in the air. Right now.
How do you know this, have you had contact with WT outside of forum posts? Because none of what you've just said above as fact (apart from there being a new engine and that will have new content) is backed up by whats been said publicly on the hypnotics forum.

I get from what your posted here and all the suggestions you've fired at WT on the hypnotics thread that you really invested in this game. Either provide some evidence or chill out.

SirTwist

Nov 5, 2017
I was off by a version. The next version will be 0.8. And everything I said is from Wife Trainer themselves. Not made up.

Link for version: Scroll down to 17 October.

Release/discussion on current development is further down the line, 6 December.

Same page, on 11 September, is Wt talking about Rags. Here is the direct quote: "Not necessarily. I'm still updating content for Rags. If the new engine works as well as I expect, however, there may be no need to continue to maintain the Rags engine. I'm not killing Rags, however, until the new engine is live and I can confirm that Rags is no longer needed. "

Again, There will be both a new Rags version AND a new engine, that is based on Ren'py, version out about the same time. Why is this hard to understand?

Davox

Jul 15, 2017
I was off by a version. The next version will be 0.8. And everything I said is from Wife Trainer themselves. Not made up.

Link for version: Scroll down to 17 October.

Release/discussion on current development is further down the line, 6 December.

Same page, on 11 September, is Wt talking about Rags. Here is the direct quote: "Not necessarily. I'm still updating content for Rags. If the new engine works as well as I expect, however, there may be no need to continue to maintain the Rags engine. I'm not killing Rags, however, until the new engine is live and I can confirm that Rags is no longer needed. "

Again, There will be both a new Rags version AND a new engine, that is based on Ren'py, version out about the same time. Why is this hard to understand?
I'm muting you after this because its not worth a flame war... but as i said above nowhere in those quotes does he confirm a rags version will be released. The piece you've quoted was in response to someone asking if rags is dead he responds by saying not necessarily

To quote the dictionary.

not necessarily

(as a response) what has been said or suggested may not be true.
Rags being dead may not be true and therefore it may not also be false. There is no confirmation either way and no actual confirmation that any rags content will be released.

Working on new content in rags doesn't mean a new rags version will be released . WT stated he can't add new content to the new engine until its completed so he has to update in rags and then his team can port it over.

I'm not too fused about version numbers, the next release will obviously have a version number above the current one of 0.6c but the piece you've mentioned from October 17 goes against your own self correction that the new version will be 0.8

We are currently on version 0.6c. WT mention v0.7 is in the works but WT states specifically that Becky Sues new content won't be available until 0.8. Again there is no confirmation that v0.7 or v0.8 will be the next release but I'd expect it either to be v0.6d or v0.7

I'm really looking forward to getting back to Becky Sue's story. New content for her might make it into 0.7, but it's going to depend on the progress of the ported content. Her Rags story isn't completely moved over the to the new engine, yet, and I'm not going to add new content for her until the Rags content is running on the new engine. If she doesn't make it into 0.7, though, there is a very high probability that she will be featured prominently in 0.8.
I'm not saying that you'll be wrong in hindsight, but there isn't any confirmation from WT that a rags version will be released only that one is being updated and if the new engine fails WT will continue to release Rags content.

SirTwist

Nov 5, 2017
Okay, we are agreed that the new engine is Ren'py based, and the next version will be 0.8, correct? The point we disagree upon is whether or not there will be more Rags versions or not. Am I correct, Davox? That's what this all boils down to, whether or not there will be a new Rags version.

SirTwist

Nov 5, 2017
I was hoping to hear a progress report by now. I think I will check this weekend. Before Christmas, they were still working on the new engine, and Wife Trainer was still working on the new Rags version, in spare time. However, there has been no news since. I am just hoping that the "delay" in information is just WT and team are back working, and not updated people lately.

4.40 star(s) 66 Votes