Why no 100% first person perspective ?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
For me, exclusive 1st person is a horror when portraying:

1. Kissing: just a huge face filling your screen, usually with lips as big as your fist.
2. Missionary position: you can only see her face.
3. Oral sex on a girl: you can only see... well, you know.
4. Doggy style: you can see her back and some ass.

The best solution is a a combination of the all perspectives, based on what has the best erotic effect.
Playing around with it (almost missed the 'it' here lol) myself recently, I have to agree. 3rd is far better for any act that's close together and/or intimate. I think the one exception would probably a close up on the eyes, there's probably a couple more, but it's pretty limited obviously.

But even in those 'regular' scenes, getting the right look is tough sometimes, especially with lighting. It's so much easier to compose a scene with the lighting in 3rd person. It has a huge benefit of saving VRAM, though. Instead of three characters, you're using two. Instead of four, you're using three, etc. I don't know if that's why a lot of devs use it, or if it's simply for those who self-insert, but the VRAM point is a big plus. For me, at least.

Reactions: Doorknob22

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
or if it's simply for those who self-insert
for me 1st person feels much less like self-inserting but more like I'm observing someone over their shoulder. it makes me think things like "where is he going?" or "is he really gonna do that?". it gives me this detached feeling of being unable to affect where the character goes, I'm more a passenger or a camera he's carrying. like every gopro video ever, you're never the guy. instead he's carrying you.

where as 3rd person I self-insert with, if the character is relatable. the camera, while outside body, seems more like an abstraction. I don't feel like I'm being helplessly dragged along.

sonhot

Apr 29, 2017
2d Japanese games usually do 1st pov for scenes involving the male protagonist and 3rd person for voyeur and cuck scenes.

Ceesko

Engaged Member
Jun 3, 2017
yeah first person is dogshit when it comes to scenes. Kissing and making out especially is awfully shit to the degree it is funny. They are kissing empty air.

Reactions: Doorknob22