• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Why don't Western Visual Novel Devs place an average length span label like Japanese Visual Novels?

Archaon11111

Engaged Member
Aug 14, 2020
Seems odd since the majority of the time Western VN's on this site are just full length stories like their Japanese counterparts. Think it'll also help users gouge out what they're getting into whether a 30 min wankfest or a long story.

telotelo

Dec 22, 2017
because jpvn (and vndb listing specifically in this case) has that format to measure the game content for years
they actually do this calculation and they even count the character for whole game to exactly measure that
last time i check [rance x] upon its launch even surpass the longest mainstream novel series by character length
yes, not just a novel, but novel series - still waiting for official translation of this game
and some of them are often adaptation from ln themself, thus the reading time is kinda adapted along

i rarely play westvn, but most of these jpvn if not adapted from book initially will be adapted to book in the end
ex: kangoku senkan always got this comic adaptation after their release
this determined by the game length to decide if the game itself can be adapted to or from the book
think of it as quality control if you like

so based on that, for westvn i rarely see completed story initially, because they kinda developed it along the way
and too little take adaptation from erotica (the company is one that game that do this kind of adaptation)
and let's be honest, writing isn't the strong selling point of westvn game, so they overlooked it themself
plus the mechanism is a little bit different
jpvn also has this complexity level to hint the 'gameplay', thus affecting the play length by the degree of complexity
and their enthusiast playtester like to measure and categorize this thing, its long-standing tradition

now who want to do that for westvn?
because i rarely see jp counterpart ask for full save, knowing that the story is the strong selling point
its just different rule to measure for different object
imho :sneaky:

Reactions: Archaon11111

Crimson Delight Games

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2020
It's personal preference.

But I get where you're coming from; it can be annoying for a player to expect N hours from a game, and then get 3xN or N/5.

Reactions: Archaon11111