Where To Start

BadWolf71

Jan 1, 2019
Greetings all!

So, I've been a supporter of Dark Cookie for a while now (I think over a year), and have recently started supporting others that are making games. Now I want to go out on a limb and try to get into the world of creating a game. I've been writing a story for well over 2 years now, I think, with a little bit of changes here and there, it would make for a decent plot line for a game.

With that being said, I have looked through this part of the Forum, Tools & Tutorials, and haven't found anything discussing what one would need to use for the scripting of the game. I'm assuming Ren'Py is what I would need to learn. I already have DAZ 3D to learn how to animate but, what else do I need to get and learn in order to make this idea into a game?

Thanks for everyone's time in reading this thread;

Bad Wolf

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Since you have mentioned DAZ3D, I suppose you are going for a 3D Game.

With DAZ3D you can create a whole scene and render it to a PNG, for an animation it would be a series of PNG.
You should keep characters and scenes as separate renders for efficiency, there are many assets in this forum that you can try out and see if they fit what you are looking for.

DAZ3D and Paint/Photoshop/Similar is all you need for graphics, you already have a story so that's done as well.
The other thing you will be needing is Ren'Py and an IDE to actually make the game within Ren'Py... The program itself will suggest you some to download so that's not something you have to worry about.

I would suggest you to check:
Despite the tutorial being created on 2017, the episodes continue all the way to today, so it is a nice tutorial series to follow along.

BadWolf71

Jan 1, 2019
Thank you.

Yes, I failed to mention that I am going in the direction of a 3D Visual Novel. I feel that going in that direction would suit my story better than any other style. Not to mention that I have sub-par talent when it comes to actually drawing.

But, again, I thank you for giving me that link and I will continue to search the forums for assets. And, I will continue to ask questions, it never hurts to ask to learn something new. But I will direct those questions to the proper forum boards, unless it has to deal with Tools & Tutorials.

Reactions: Winterfire

HiEv

Sep 1, 2017
You might want to take a look at the recent " " thread. There are a number of suggestions there which you might find helpful.

Good luck! :)

BadWolf71

Jan 1, 2019
You might want to take a look at the recent " " thread. There are a number of suggestions there which you might find helpful.

Good luck! :)
Thank You, I'll check it out

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
Good luck with that @BadWolf71 , you have done the difficult part, the story :p if it's a two year old "good" story, then you can focus on the 3d rendering and scripting and I'm sure it will be a success, if you need any help you can ask, if it's in my possibilities I'll help you out.

Cheers

BadWolf71

Jan 1, 2019
Good luck with that @BadWolf71 , you have done the difficult part, the story :p if it's a two year old "good" story, then you can focus on the 3d rendering and scripting and I'm sure it will be a success, if you need any help you can ask, if it's in my possibilities I'll help you out.

Cheers
Thank you, That is kind of you to say and offer. I'm going to try my best to refrain from bothering anyone unless it is something that I can not comprehend. I've seen too many people, no matter if it's developing a script to a simple edit, for a mod to a popular RPG game on other forum boards, abuse the offer of help.

Reactions: Kthulian

Kthulian

www.kthuliangames.com
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2018
Google is the best teacher, all I know about ren'py and Daz I asked google. But feel free to ask me if you have any problem using these two