What options are there for iOS ports?

Nonstop-Nut

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2024
Personally I don't use apple products, but if half of all phones run iOS it seems like a waste to leave them out when I'm already releasing a game on android. Any advice from iphone users?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Personally I don't use apple products, but if half of all phones run iOS it seems like a waste to leave them out when I'm already releasing a game on android. Any advice from iphone users?
The only option is web-hosted VNs/games. Stuff that you see on Itch or Gamcore.

It's likely going to stay that way until/if sideloading on iOS becomes a thing. iOS just isn't worth the troubles it'll give devs right now.

Nonstop-Nut

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2024
The only option is web-hosted VNs/games. Stuff that you see on Itch or Gamcore.
Would an html port be something you could run locally? (just open the file in the browser?)
If so I'd probably rather do that and test it than bugfix for a platform I don't own. Thanks for the help.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Would an html port be something you could run locally? (just open the file in the browser?)
If so I'd probably rather do that and test it than bugfix for a platform I don't own. Thanks for the help.
Theoretically, yeah, it should work. I don't have an active iPhone to test it on, though. I'm not sure how iOS/Safari handles HTML files, either.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
If so I'd probably rather do that and test it than bugfix for a platform I don't own.
You'll probably still have to bugfix.

As MissFortune implied, all browser are unique, and there no guaranty that everything that works with one would would with another. Even in the good old days where Safari had an official Windows port, the behavior of the Windows and Mac version weren't always 100 identical.

And of course, if you officially advertise this as being a version for iOS, you'll have Apple on your back if they caught you. They really really hate adult content on their platforms.

Nonstop-Nut

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2024
You'll probably still have to bugfix.

As MissFortune implied, all browser are unique, and there no guaranty that everything that works with one would would with another. Even in the good old days where Safari had an official Windows port, the behavior of the Windows and Mac version weren't always 100 identical.
I'll just cross my fingers and hope it'll work. If at some point the web version is so backwards on iOS that it's unplayable I'll consider asking a friend to loan me an iPhone. Maybe an apple development environment could work too, but I have zero experience with that.

And of course, if you officially advertise this as being a version for iOS, you'll have Apple on your back if they caught you. They really really hate adult content on their platforms.
I'd say I have plausible deniability, if it's just a browser version that doesn't actually involve any iOS-specific content. Though that would be where I point anyone looking for an iOS port.
If I do get the cease and desist... oh well. Better to have tried and failed than to have been intimidated out of it.

D.mon

Game Developer
Dec 29, 2023
You'r best bet is making a browser version like mentioned by others. Setting everything up to publish on the app store is a pain, and has a yearly $100USD fee. You also need a mac to publish anything iOS and a iPhone would be recommended for testing. And as Anne mentioned, no adult games.
Browser based games aren't under the iOS banner so they can't really do anything to you even if you point iPhone users towards it.

Nonstop-Nut

Game Developer
Mar 14, 2024
Browser based games aren't under the iOS banner so they can't really do anything to you even if you point iPhone users towards it.
Seems like not even that is a very viable solution, apparently Safari doesn't load html files, and I'm uncertain if alternative browsers on iOS would be allowed to either.
Something hosted online would probably work, but that has it's own issues.