What is your preferred file host?

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Is Gofile inconvenient to use for uploaders (size cap/upload limit/whatever)?
These days, Gofile has absurdly fast download speeds for me.

papel

Game Developer
Sep 2, 2018
I still like Mediafire. Hosting anything that's your own is great there.

The thing I dislike the most about MEGA is that it downloads the thing as a page element instead of an external download, which lets them cut your download midway if it got over your daily limit. Fuck that shit.

1Fichier usually has great speeds, though it doesn't let you have parallel downloads. Useful for multi GB sized files.

Dareios

Sep 16, 2017
If Zippy had a larger file limit, that would be my goto, always get very consistent speeds from there, otherwise I tend to go for the workupload, which is a bit worse for speeds, but it tends to work fairly well

MEGA is an absolute nightmare as you are forced to either use their software (which is a massive pain to use) or do browser downloading, which is always hit and miss as I've had multiple occasions where hitting "save" does nothing for some reason after the download, nevermind the stupid transfer limit....

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
The ones I get good download speeds from are Zippy, Mediafire, Workupload and Pixeldrain. MEGA too but the cap makes it unusable for larger games. I remember getting a good DL from terminal.lc as well, but it says they're closed to new registrations, so that might be out.

anon98989

Dec 4, 2020
number one is Torrent for sure, if it's not available then any other sites beside Mixdrop and mega

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Torrent is probably the best option
Torrents are a great option for completed games.
But they are actually horrible for games under development, especially the ones released monthly/weekly. Because there will never be enough time to gather a healthy number of seeders and they will keep being abandoned as soon as a new version shows up...

baloneysammich

Jun 3, 2017
Torrents are a great option for completed games.
But they are actually horrible for games under development, especially the ones released monthly/weekly. Because there will never be enough time to gather a healthy number of seeders and they will keep being abandoned as soon as a new version shows up...
Dunno about weekly releases, but rpdl manages to make it work. Granted, it's backed by some kind of web service IIUC.

Reactions: kuvayimilfiye

Sciku

Feb 26, 2021
MEGA for me since I pay premium, blazing fast and enough to backup all my shit. GoFile works for free, really depends on what I need permanently or temporarily.

Reactions: sahlosveistulvokul

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
For me I prefer GoFile, Mega is good as an option too, but as other users had pointed out the cap on downloads can be annoying, especially when they disrupt your download mid-way through downloading...I've had a situation in the past where I had gone over my Mega download limit for the day and my 10GB download was disrupted and I then had to download from another file host instead...

I've also had good experiences with PixelDrain as well....MediaFire is good, and is one that I personally enjoy as well...

Mookys

Dec 19, 2022
I use Mediafire, Pixeldrain, or Gofile, and I also use IDM to increase the speed of my downloads. ;)