weird folders after download

Jul 29, 2018
hello,

I have these weird empty folders after downloading games, they only have short names. I most often use mega download.
Does anyone know what these are for?

edit: I use windows 7

weirdfolders.PNG

thanks for the help

icesun

Be nice! Until it's time to not be nice...
Former Staff
Nov 2, 2018
hello,

I have these weird empty folders after downloading games, they only have short names. I most often use mega download.
Does anyone know what these are for?

edit: I use windows 7

thanks for the help
Out of curiosity: Are you using Spotify on that machine?

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
iirc mega.nz creates temp folders in appdata when files are downloading. they should be deleted after, but when downloads fail, or your system locks up during a download the folders might get left behind. If it happens often, you could have gigs of temp files that need to be cleaned up.

Jul 29, 2018
Out of curiosity: Are you using Spotify on that machine?
yeah i have spotify! i found similar looking folders in appdata/local/spotify. but i use spotify on my ssd but those folders appeared in my hdd?

iirc mega.nz creates temp folders in appdata when files are downloading. they should be deleted after, but when downloads fail, or your system locks up during a download the folders might get left behind. If it happens often, you could have gigs of temp files that need to be cleaned up.
i use ccleaner regurarly, doesn't it clean that up?

thanks for all the answers

icesun

Be nice! Until it's time to not be nice...
Former Staff
Nov 2, 2018
yeah i have spotify! i found similar looking folders in appdata/local/spotify. but i use spotify on my ssd but those folders appeared in my hdd?

i use ccleaner regurarly, doesn't it clean that up?

thanks for all the answers
The thing is: I googled "random 2 digit folders appeared" (your problem was new to me, so I was curious) and every specific solution I found ended up in Spotify being the culprit.
For example:
Anyway I opened some of the files in the two digit directories and amidst some of the weird characters that it seemed to mention songs from a spotify. I want in to spotify and changed the directory where it is saving files to another directory and sure enough the fault is with spotify. I have not managed to sort it but now it is busy creating directories in a sub-directory, making delete easier, rather than contaminating my main documents directory.
So I suggest you to at least have a look into the Spotify settings to see if it helps.

Jul 29, 2018
The thing is: I googled "random 2 digit folders appeared" (your problem was new to me, so I was curious) and every specific solution I found ended up in Spotify being the culprit.
For example:

So I suggest you to at least have a look into the Spotify settings to see if it helps.
yeah spotify was the problem!

Reactions: icesun