VN Unity [VNGINE] - Need any VN Creator feedback! What features are you missing?

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Sorry I can't read in russian and google translate is kinda meh, but i made the dialogue files extremely easy to send for translation, but still quality check is difficult after someone fan translates it, we are thinking about what the best way of doing this is.

a.i.w.a.

Jun 15, 2018
Sorry I can't read in russian and google translate is kinda meh, but i made the dialogue files extremely easy to send for translation, but still quality check is difficult after someone fan translates it, we are thinking about what the best way of doing this is.
Exactly. Unpack files Unity is no longer a problem, but editing (font, translation) in 90% leads to crash games.
Therefore, while VNgine is being developed, may it make sense to think about the possibility for third-party translators? until there are no tools for this (
Yours faithfully to you - your users.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Exactly. Unpack files Unity is no longer a problem, but editing (font, translation) in 90% leads to crash games.
Therefore, while VNgine is being developed, may it make sense to think about the possibility for third-party translators? until there are no tools for this (
I already did that from day 1, it's just that for some specific languages you need to use supported fonts, and in that case i just make sure to switch font when there is a different language, it's not hard it just takes time, depending on how much you want to translate. If it's just the text in the dialogue then it's easy.

I don't understand what tools you are referring to, i mean literally all the dialogue is in text files, so you can just translate it directly in there ,but then I as the developer need to add the language option to the game and make sure that that language also changes the font, it's not really more complicated than that :)

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
It's not a technical problem to add translations or languages, the problem is maintaining it for each release and making sure that you can always get the newest content translated before the release, checked and verified, every time. We have had some translations previously that were offered to us that were really sub par, and we need to have the quality high.

Reactions: User1230

a.i.w.a.

Jun 15, 2018
I already did that from day 1, it's just that for some specific languages you need to use supported fonts, and in that case i just make sure to switch font when there is a different language, it's not hard it just takes time, depending on how much you want to translate. If it's just the text in the dialogue then it's easy.

I don't understand what tools you are referring to, i mean literally all the dialogue is in text files, so you can just translate it directly in there ,but then I as the developer need to add the language option to the game and make sure that that language also changes the font, it's not really more complicated than that :)
We will be very grateful to you, as few games on Unity have been translated by the authors, and there are fans of games among non-English speakers. Interested in Russian language. If the author does not have the opportunity (or need) to do a multilingual game - you need to give volunteers the opportunity to do this without harm to the author, the game and the engine.
P.s.
Sorry, if not correctly expressed, Google translates

EYECRED

Jun 6, 2017
I for one, as a pleb(programmer).I would really like a to see a "simple" turn-based battle system.And maybe, with the posibility of the battle damage being visible if the user wants it.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
@icred i do not think the VNGine is active anymore friend. I tried to find it to download and test and the main site for it is even gone.
Ehhh :D my engine has never been available for download but I have seen a old project of someone’s many years ago with the same name.

Anyways the project is alive and doing well, working together with Motkeyz on timestamps just had 4th release on my engine :)

EYECRED

Jun 6, 2017
Well, seeing Timestamps it is still active, I asumed the VNGINE it's still alive and I'm happy to hear you guys are still working on it for plebs like me xD...
Do you think there's a chance we see a demo or a downloadable version this year or maybe next @Aesouh ?

George Halstead

Oct 1, 2017
It was all my mistake friends and i do apologize. I was hoping to try the VNgine to use and i found a site from a few years ago that was dead and assumed. Please accept my apologies one and all.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Well, seeing Timestamps it is still active, I asumed the VNGINE it's still alive and I'm happy to hear you guys are still working on it for plebs like me XD...
Do you think there's a chance we see a demo or a downloadable version this year or maybe next @Aesouh ?
It was never the intent for the engine to be available to public in that sense, I will add some modding capabilities down the line, is the plan. The engine will just be exclusive for work together with artists where I do the development :)

You know how some artists have their style and make games, i want to be the same for the technical point, i want the games eventually also to be recognized to be good because my brand is on it :) But i'm not there yet. Really proud of how the development is going but i am nowhere near done yet =)

Reactions: User1230

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
It was all my mistake friends and i do apologize. I was hoping to try the VNgine to use and i found a site from a few years ago that was dead and assumed. Please accept my apologies one and all.
Haha no worries, I guess i didn't check carefully when i picked the name, i realized quite a while later that someone had an old project already with the name. Oh well, soon enough it will be known because of this new project :p

/A

Incest games fan

Jun 16, 2019
how to unpack it mate?

Kryogeneva

Nov 13, 2020
Remapping Keybindings would be amazing. Using space in Timestamps to progress text on my keyboard is heinously loud. I suspect there might be IP concerns if you made the controls mirror Ren'Py (in which case, nothing to be done), but honestly, trying to redefine what has become "industry" standard (and works) might not be the best idea. Whether this is Timestamps' specific or VNgine as a whole, IDK - but I'd much prefer Ren'Py controls. Maybe break keybindings out from the UI (if it is too much hassle), and create something like an .ini file that folks can edit if they are savvy?

A feature I think Im going to love is being able to progress text without seeing it while it is hidden. It lets scenes play out with the models without always having to hide the text.

Couldn't access the menu from map mode in Timestamps - I want to save/adjust volume/etc. anywhere.

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
Remapping Keybindings would be amazing. Using space in Timestamps to progress text on my keyboard is heinously loud. I suspect there might be IP concerns if you made the controls mirror Ren'Py (in which case, nothing to be done), but honestly, trying to redefine what has become "industry" standard (and works) might not be the best idea. Whether this is Timestamps' specific or VNgine as a whole, IDK - but I'd much prefer Ren'Py controls. Maybe break keybindings out from the UI (if it is too much hassle), and create something like an .ini file that folks can edit if they are savvy?

A feature I think Im going to love is being able to progress text without seeing it while it is hidden. It lets scenes play out with the models without always having to hide the text.

Couldn't access the menu from map mode in Timestamps - I want to save/adjust volume/etc. anywhere.
You can use E, Space, numpad enter, scroll up or leftclick to navigate the dialogue forward, (Q, numpad del, scroll down, rightclick to go backwards) so there are quite a lot of alternatives :) Also there is shift to skip fast and an auto mode to toggle in the bottom right corner. There were some bug in chapter 1 with home map key and the map key overriding in a sense blocking the esc menu, i think if you hit n you will be able to open the quick menu. It should work.

I might look into adjustable keybindings in the future, but there are plenty of alternatives.

/A

Aesouh

Master Chief VNGineer
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 16, 2017
VNGINE - Where can I download your engine to try how it works?
Hi, it won't be available for download to experiment or make your own games with it but it's still in development together with the game Timestamps, so you can test out timestamps Chapter 1 and 2 and see how it's been progressing over the years too.

/A