Unity Illusion Using Honey Select & Unity To Make Games.

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
Hi there, I have a question about game development when it comes to the Adult game environment. I would like to use Unity and Honey Select to develop a VN like game. However I am uncertain of the legality of things. Is it okay to use Honey Select to develop it?, Technically you are using a bunch of screenshots for static images and animation so wouldn't that be okay?. Its not like ripping a 3D model out of Honey Select. This is a tough spot because I have really good experience & knowledge on Unity and programming but nothing on the art side of things like animation, modeling etc so I have to rely on tools like Honey Select or Daz studio. However Daz Studio is too heavy and I don't think I have hardware capability to use Daz Studio which I know would be a safer bet.

The game would be free but it would use patreon for the continued support of development. It takes time after all. I mean even in general triple A landscape people who create mods for games seem safe when it comes to using patreon for developing a mod. There are some exceptions like GTA but at least you are well aware that its very risky and Take Two are not so nice about it. What is illusions stance on things like this? Have they sued anyone who used Honey Select?

What are you thoughts on this? And if you have any other alternatives For Daz Studio and Honey Select that would be safer then please do let me know. Thanks

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Technically you are using a bunch of screenshots for static images and animation so wouldn't that be okay?. Its not like ripping a 3D model out of Honey Select.
It would be the same as the many Renpy based games here that use Honey Select.
Patreon/Subscribe Star should be fine, but if you want to sell it on Steam that is probably a no go.
Honey Select itself uses a lot of ripped assets from other games so legality is pretty much a grey area.
If you wanted to sell on Steam then DAZ is really your only option.

ShadowxHit

Oct 8, 2017
It would be the same as the many Renpy based games here that use Honey Select.
Patreon/Subscribe Star should be fine
Hmm I see both yes and no when doing my research regarding this situation. I wish they officially cleared this up, I wouldn't even mind paying a license every year (if the price is reasonable).

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
Hmm I see both yes and no when doing my research regarding this situation. I wish they officially cleared this up, I wouldn't even mind paying a license every year (if the price is reasonable).
Even if Illusion were to give a license you would still be in a grey area because of the mods that can be ripped from who knows where.
Technically Patreon was supposed to be a payment of "work" as a donation regardless of what that "work" might be, only that the payers think that work has some personal value to them.
Of course with exclusive patreon builds that excuse drops instantly, but that's how the game is played in a grey area.