[Ren'Py] [Tool] UnRen.bat v0.7 - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Oct 4, 2017
Any way to get rpy-files in English rather than Russian? Dirty Pool for example only provides russian text after extraction with unren.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Jun 10, 2017
Any way to get rpy-files in English rather than Russian? Dirty Pool for example only provides russian text after extraction with unren.
They are wrote in Russian so, the answer to your question is : No.
The translated text is found in the "tl" sub folder, but in Ren'py translation file format, so it will be less useful than it can seem at first.

goobdoob

Modder
Dec 17, 2017
Ok so I have UnRen.bat in the directory but it says that it cant find python so i put python in it as well but still says it can't find it what should I do?
UnRen.bat uses the game's python.

Some questions for you:

1. Are you using this with a Ren'Py game?
  2. Does the game run?
  3. Where did you put UnRen.bat?

goobdoob

Modder
Dec 17, 2017
@Sam :
@randomname42 sent me a change to
  1. decompile rpyc files in subdirectories
  2. overwrite existing rpy files

Change:
Code:
for /r %%f in (*.rpyc) do (
    if not %%~nf == un (
        echo    + Decompiling "%%~nf%%~xf" - %%~zf bytes
        "%pythondir%python.exe" -O "%unrpycpy%" "%%f"
    )
)
to
[/code]
"%pythondir%python.exe" -O "%unrpycpy%" "." "-c"
[/code]

Passing a directory instead of a file will decompile recursively. Passing "-c" will overwrite existing rpy files with a fresh decompilation.

Penfold Mole

May 22, 2017
Just reporting that there is an unkown, possibly character encoding related problem with Unren decompile function. I've seen it happening only in a few games in the past, but the latest one seems to be Cure My Addiction v0.1.3 by TheGary.

With Unren v0.6 it skipped some lines in the resulting rpy files with a message about decompile error or inability to decompile the code (I don't remember the exact words ATM, sorry).
After a failed attempt to decompile, on the next start Ren'Py compiled those new incomplete rpy files into rpyc files and the result was a game without the upper part of the HUD or OSD, whatever you call it, and various other bugs I'm not aware of.
With the new Unren v0.7 it just stops the decompiling process at the first line it fails, leaving the code incomplete. On the next start the game fails to compile that "new code", since it's broken. And therefore fails to start, obviously.

The latest release of however is working fine, being launched by Ren'Py itself.

So I'm guessing the whole trouble is related to the python/Ren'Py script being launched by the batch script with all its character encoding or some other limitations.

Jul 10, 2017
Dear all readers - DO READ THE 1-numero UNO -1 einz-1 uno-1 un -1 OP- OPENING POST OF THE THREAD where the kind and gentle DEVELOPER wishes to SHARE WITH US THE TOOL HE USES TO DEVELOP! - quote by the Maestro :
"
You can extract RPA archives (using built in ), decompile RPYC files (using a fork of by @amanapanama ) and enable the console and developer menu for Ren'Py games.
"
PS: yes, ya aHa really positively deffinitelly unequivically a tools of every developer of Ren'Py
!
UnRen.bat v0.7 - RPA Extractor, RPYC Decompiler, Console/Developer Menu Enabler

!

Jul 10, 2017
Also by the grace of the DEVELOPER he shares HIS wisdom:
"
All the images used in renpy games are usually packaged in an RPA file, by extracting them you'll be able to easily see all images contained in the game.

Sometimes a developer will only distribute the RPYC files, which are compiled RPY files, meaning they cannot be viewed in a text editor. Decompiling them will allow you to view the games source code.

Jul 10, 2017
Hello everyone.
My appologies for any tone or bad tone.
Fact is still that Sam is a bilt in pinnacle/pillar of this site, therefore his efforts should not get squandered
My obvious disbelief was when I saw the initial post (indeed deleted now) where learning was mentioned My first reaction was to read all about this thread and as I found out that, basically, Sam had already explained that his tools that he graciously shared with us would enable anyone, dev or not, initiate or not, to, positively and unequivically understand Ren'Py code and decifer any hidden content a game harbored, using any text editor, there were quotes involved; also, unfortunately, some big letters.
My understanding was always that first responders of such advanced tools were, indeed, developers, initiates that actually do use such code and such file types ( .rpy / .rpyc ) on a current basis.
My comments were aimed at suggesting to any non developer, like myself, to keep to himself once modders and other initiates had real, serious problems to settle with this program, much greaver that using one or another of the text editors such developers usually conjure to make magik happen. Mere players, like myself, are still lucky to just use such a tool with caution, because, as Sam already indicated in his opening post, this program of his is an actual repository of several Ren'Py codes used by developers and hosted somewhere else.
To extend an olive branch, I did quote the relevant pieces of info Sam gave on the subject of the casual use of his program by non-developers and humbly ask not to be bombarded with snow-balls .

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes