Tool Universal Game Translator

storycoolbro

Feb 15, 2020
I wanted to spread the word about this OCR translator that I've not seen mentioned anywhere really possibly due to it's somewhat time consuming initial set up time , it's called Universal Game Translator (UGT) it was created by Seth A. Robinson. It uses Google Cloud Vision API for the OCR then then translates the text and then overlays the translated text over the original text on screen I find it extremely useful for some games where typically it's menu text isn't hooked by a texthooker i.e. textractor it. A screen snip of the interaction menu from Imouto Life Fantasy so you can see how it does the overlay.

UGT preview translation.JPG

However it's not the simplest of programs to set up due to you needing you own API key for google vision, here's a to the post on the Devs website where you can find download link as well as a walkthrough on how to set it up scroll down to the Try it yourself section at the end of that there's also a link to the github for this project for those who want to look over the code. As I said it's not all that simple not to say it's difficult there's a handful of hoops to jump through to get your own API key but google has a helpful walkthrough on how to set that up which is also linked in the blogpost. This does mean you have to set up a payment method for the afore mentioned api key since google charges for it's use after you reach a certain usage limit,.That being said, you will likely never hit that limit. I have only once and that was actually due to having put my api key into textractor so it was using it while translating one of those infinitely generating text threads for a few hours as I slept. Even then it was only like 11cents USD. so you shouldn't have to worry about that you can also set it to use DeepL as the translator but you will also need an API key for that as well alternatively if you can have it set to copy the OCR text to you clipboard and disable it's translation and overlay function and use another program capable of reading your clipboard to do the translating instead.