Trying to make RPGM games run on my PC, what OS should I use in VirtualBox?

amBest

Jul 18, 2017
I have tried EVERYTHING, and I am unable to give enough shits to find a solution. VX Ace games do not run on my system, not a one. But other RPGM do work.

I have decided to make a fresh install of an os on a virtual box. Thing is, I have no idea about anything RPGM related, I hate it in fact.

Anyone have some experience? What OS were they intended for? Could I just run an XP SP3 and call it a day? Or should I probably go with windows 7?

Thanks in advance!

Semeicardia

The Real Slim Semei
Modder
Donor
Mar 11, 2017
VX Ace
  • Minimum:
    • Processor:Intel® Pentium® 4 2.0 GHz equivalent or faster processor
    • Memory:512 MB RAM
    • Graphics:1024 x 768 pixels or higher desktop resolution
    • Hard Drive:400 MB HD space
MV
  • Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel Core2 Duo or better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: DirectX 9/OpenGL 4.1 capable GPU
    • Storage: 1 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: 1280x768 or better Display

Those are taken from the Steam software pages, and
So I would suggest going with Windows 7 to be safe.

Reactions: amBest

IM6

Erisa's Summer
Game Developer
Aug 8, 2017
XP is extraordinarily outdated at this point. I'd think you'd want to use 7 at the very least. I'm pretty sure VX Ace and MV have both run fine for me on 7 (trying to remember when I upgraded to 10 versus when MV games started coming out) and know for sure they've worked for me on 10.

Reactions: amBest

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I have tried EVERYTHING, and I am unable to give enough shits to find a solution. VX Ace games do not run on my system, not a one. But other RPGM do work.

I have decided to make a fresh install of an os on a virtual box. Thing is, I have no idea about anything RPGM related, I hate it in fact.

Anyone have some experience? What OS were they intended for? Could I just run an XP SP3 and call it a day? Or should I probably go with windows 7?

Thanks in advance!
Do you have the VX Ace RTP installed?

Reactions: Semeicardia

Nightcrawler

Carpe Diem
Donor
May 23, 2017

Thanks in advance!
Some Rpgm devs include the required RTP with the download others don't
You can get VX ace RTP from here if not already installed

a meme

Sep 26, 2017
Both XP and 7 should work in virtualbox for RPGmaker 2003, XP, VX and VX Ace. What system are you using now? Because RPGmaker should run on anything made by microsoft.

Don't try to run MV, the abysmal coding will freeze your game every 5 minutes. And don't connect your Windows XP to the internet.