Trouble running My New Life

CoolChattGuy

Nov 5, 2018
I became a Patreon of Begger of Net, to download My New Life but when I run the game, all I’m getting is a black screen with the music and different sound effects for moving the cursor

Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Reactions: bwardyunbip

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Can you provide more info...

What OS do you use?
Are you tried to run with admin privilegues or compatibility options?
What VGA do you have?

CoolChattGuy

Nov 5, 2018
Can you provide more info...

What OS do you use?
Are you tried to run with admin privilegues or compatibility options?
What VGA do you have?
I’m using Windows 10, I’m not sure of how to run it with admin privilegues, and I’m guessing VGA is the graphics card?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I’m using Windows 10, I’m not sure of how to run it with admin privilegues, and I’m guessing VGA is the graphics card?
To run with admin privileges, right clic on game's executable and choose "Run as administrator".

To try to start the game with compatibility options, right click on game's exacutable and choose "properties", go to "compatibility" tab and select, for example, "Windows 7"; accept changes and doble click game's exacutable.

Yes, VGA is the graphics card... I found some problems with ATI cards and monitors resolution, but I don't know if you problem it's only on this game or in all renpy games.

CoolChattGuy

Nov 5, 2018
I’ll try those suggestions and get back to you, thank you!
I also have School of Lust and that runs just fine but I imagine it’s a different format

CoolChattGuy

Nov 5, 2018
So I’m getting an error “Type Error: Cannot read property ‘resolution’ of undefined” and it’s still a black screen when running it as administrator

My VGA: NVIDIA NVD 4200M

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Are you loading a saved game or you got this error from starting a new game?

CoolChattGuy

Nov 5, 2018
So it seems like the error is when trying to load a saved game, but I don't have a backed up save lol
Still having issues where I only get the music and SFX but no visual.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Seems that problem is that when you load the saved game, it not contain "resolution" variable that this version of game needs... sometimes devs changes things and you need to start from scratch.

CoolChattGuy

Nov 5, 2018
I mean even if I go with the "New Game" selection, which is typically at the top, I'm not getting any visuals. Would you suggest I delete it all and redownload?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
You can try to delete all your save and temps from this game (backup it first if you want)... keep in mind that renpy stores a copy of saves in "Users\youusername\AppData\Roaming\Renpy\nameofthegame"

If this doesn't help, download game again... and if even this doesn't work, you can try to change your screen resolution to ensure that this isn't the problem.

BTW: Disable your antivirus when try the game, just in case.

CoolChattGuy

Nov 5, 2018
So I completely deleted it and reinstalled, made sure it's run as admin, disabled my antivirus, but still no dice :(

Thanks again for all the help

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Are you deleted temps too?

And changed resolution? you can try too to check "Run in 640x480 screen resolution" in compatibility options, just to try, this way you resolution just changes when you start the game, then return to your default resolution.

And are you tried to download it from a different link?

Boom's Attic Games

Donor
Game Developer
May 27, 2017
@CoolChattGuy
I don't know if you have resolved this issue or not but :

1. Folder location :
Try moving the game folder to your desktop and running it from there.
The RPG engine acts really weird if you're running the game within several subfolders.

2. How much RAM do you have?
Depending on how the game loads/stores files if you have low memory you'll be greeted with a black screen until all the assets are loaded.

3. By any chance are you running the game on a laptop ?
Developers use a lot of plugins with the RPG engine and several of those plugins look at your screen resolution.
Most Laptops have weird screen resolutions compared to a desktop computer.
So depending on if the game developer exported the build so that the game auto opens the game @fullscreen this could result in the game not opening in fullscreen due to the screen resolution which causes the blackscreen.

4. Have you tried other RPGMV games?
If they run then I may have some other ideas.

-Boom

Last edited:

CoolChattGuy

Nov 5, 2018
@CoolChattGuy
I don't know if you have resolved this issue or not but :

1. Folder location :
Try moving the game folder to your desktop and running it from there.
The RPG engine acts really weird if you're running the game within several subfolders.

2. How much RAM do you have?
Depending on how the game loads/stores files if you have low memory you'll be greeted with a black screen until all the assets are loaded.

3. By any chance are you running the game on a laptop ?
Developers use a lot of plugins with the RPG engine and several of those plugins look at your screen resolution.
Most Laptops have weird screen resolutions compared to a desktop computer.
So depending on if the game developer exported the build so that the game auto opens the game @fullscreen this could result in the game not opening in fullscreen due to the screen resolution which causes the blackscreen.

4. Have you tried other RPGMV games?
If they run then I may have some other ideas.

-Boom

I've tried moving the folder to the desktop to no avail, I've got 8GB of Ram, and I am running it on a laptop

partanen

Selectively Active Member
Uploader
Donor
Sep 13, 2017
So, you have 8GBs of memory in your laptop you're trying to run MNL? Have you checked how much you have free memory available for it?? Check if there's some programs running on background eating memory down to under 2GBs available. And, of course, don't have anything else running same time with MNL. Better turn off Internet connection too especially if you have any HP/Dell/Acer/other manufacturer installed auto-update-crap-installing-program still on and in use. Not to mention memory consumption of Windows and especially its auto-Update :rolleyes:. Also, make sure there's no updates waiting for installation. In other words: Choose Install Updates and Restart from Power -button in lower left corner. And if you have both integrated graphics chips and separate gpu in your laptop, check if there's something. For example integrated and separate are both in use same time which causes unneeded loss of ram memory as graphics should be taken care by gpu's memory not ram...

And finally: Make sure you've updated all drivers up-to-date...

Reactions: CoolChattGuy

CoolChattGuy

Nov 5, 2018
So, you have 8GBs of memory in your laptop you're trying to run MNL? Have you checked how much you have free memory available for it?? Check if there's some programs running on background eating memory down to under 2GBs available. And, of course, don't have anything else running same time with MNL. Better turn off Internet connection too especially if you have any HP/Dell/Acer/other manufacturer installed auto-update-crap-installing-program still on and in use. Not to mention memory consumption of Windows and especially its auto-Update :rolleyes:. Also, make sure there's no updates waiting for installation. In other words: Choose Install Updates and Restart from Power -button in lower left corner. And if you have both integrated graphics chips and separate gpu in your laptop, check if there's something. For example integrated and separate are both in use same time which causes unneeded loss of ram memory as graphics should be taken care by gpu's memory not ram...

And finally: Make sure you've updated all drivers up-to-date...

Awesome, I'll look to see if this is the issue