Unity Translation Help - [FantasmTheater Charlotte] Younger Sister ~Time For Harmony~

Hannya

Apr 1, 2023
Not sure if this is the right place, the translations area seemed mainly just for requests. I wanted some help with figuring out the approach for a game I'm attempting to translate.

The game is which is made in Unity, so I'm using Translator++ just for organization of the TL work, BepInEx_x64_5.4.22.0, and XUnity.AutoTranslator-BepInEx-5.3.0.

My current approach is to populate the AutoGeneratedTranslations.txt and edit the replacement text from MTL garbage to normal English.

The problem is that the text is displayed letter by letter, so the source text looks something like this:
Capture2.PNG

I got around this by instead, abusing the Substitution.txt and filling it with sets of phrases so that as they completed a part of a sentence, it'd swap to English. It works, but it's not pretty, and there's a slight delay as the text switches from Japanese to English in-game. As new text appears letter by letter, it's in Japanese until it hits a phrase and is then replaced by English.

As an aside, the normal MTL gets real mad since the game uses paragraphs and the repeated requests shuts down the MTL pretty quick. I instead just used the Passthrough setting to get it dump the text to a text file and translated the lines myself from there.

Ideally, I'd love to be able to inject the text into the game, or maybe there's other approaches. I'm 100% new to translating games so I know basically nothing (though I have programming experience). How do I figure out where the game stores the text? Maybe I could inject it there?

Or are there AutoTranslator settings I could use for it to process text without trying to send it to MTL (e.g., I'm really just using it to inject my translation, I don't want it looking things up), or ways to increase it's responsiveness, or ways to get it to spit my TL letter by letter?

Hannya

Apr 1, 2023
I figured out a solution.

I used the BepinEx plugin UnityExplorer to figure out where the dialogue was being stored, then the tool dnSpy to directly edit the C# script that had the dialogue.

What's really funny is inside that script I saw it also already had an in-progress English language translation that wasn't enabled yet, so I had translated this entire game for the most pointless of reasons. It then also explained why the store said it has English, which is available in v0.93 and the version available around online is only v0.921.

That said, it turns out the official English translation is MTL trash so I don't feel too bad about it. It'll be done in a day or two and I'll put the link in the appropriate forum here somewhere.

Reactions: Mistervd