There's seem to be a problem with ren´py and japanese default location

KullisUrus

Mar 18, 2018
So i've been searching solutions for a while to play japanese games, the locale emulators never worked for me after trying for a while (reinstaling and trying varioua one's) so the only way i had was changing the default locale system of windows.

Ok so after changing the locale i couldn't play japanese games after extracting them (using winrar or 7z with japanese options) but i could play them by just clicking the exe directly inside the compressed file, so i was pretty happy about.

But after that i seem to have a problem with extracting ren'py games now, i could play them just like the japanese games (just starting the exe directly from the compressed file) but not after extracting them, i saw them start from the task administer but close instantalily without leaving any sort of log or something which seem kinda odd.

So without changing anything for a while i just continued as like nothing happened, even after searching for solutions i couldn't find anything that helped me really, playing with ren'py while unextracted let's just say it's uncomfortable the game needs to create the saves and winrar need to compress the entirely of the game with the saves so it's quite some time in my case (pretty old laptop) so i started looking for solutions on my own.

Trying searching for more i saw a couple people with my same problem but no one seem to have the solution for it, also i don't really know if they are in the exact same conditions as me so what i end up doing was retracing what i changed lately, unistalling games i recently installed, deleting the locale emulators just in case, and trying if that was the problem, but nothing seem to work so just like a fluke i though, maybe it's the system locale?

So here i am, after searching like an idiot for a week to solve what it's maybe the dumbest thing, i don't know if it's just my windows problem (8.1 yes it is pretty old laptop like i said) or it's a problem with the japanese locale, but after returning to originally default i can play again :D.

I'm just posing this in case someone has a problem like this one or a similar one, just to post a problem i had and the solution/perspective to maybe help them .

desmosome

Forum Fanatic
Sep 5, 2018
I didn't read the entire post, but here's the thing.

You don't have to change the default language setting to Japanese in windows. You just need to install the language pack. You can keep the default locale in English.

I'm gonna guess you tried using Locale Emulator without installing the language pack in windows. If that's the case, try it again while keeping the default windows locale in English but with the Japanese language installed.

There are some cases where this doesn't work, generally when the game files are in Japanese and default extraction method with winrar turns those file names into gibberish. In this case, you go to options in the extraction program and specify that it should extract in Japanese language.

I'm just gonna guess that Renpy maybe has a similar problem, but in reverse, if your default windows locale is in Japanese. I'm not sure. But you won't have to deal with it if you follow the above steps.

Reactions: KullisUrus

KullisUrus

Mar 18, 2018
I didn't read the entire post, but here's the thing.

You don't have to change the default language setting to Japanese in windows. You just need to install the language pack. You can keep the default locale in English.

I'm gonna guess you tried using Locale Emulator without installing the language pack in windows. If that's the case, try it again while keeping the default windows locale in English but with the Japanese language installed.

There are some cases where this doesn't work, generally when the game files are in Japanese and default extraction method with winrar turns those file names into gibberish. In this case, you go to options in the extraction program and specify that it should extract in Japanese language.

I'm just gonna guess that Renpy maybe has a similar problem, but in reverse, if your default windows locale is in Japanese. I'm not sure. But you won't have to deal with it if you follow the above steps.
I appreciate it man, yea i just ranted a little i was so pissed at myself xD.

I tried what you just said and it seems that i just have the language pack installed already (maybe by changing the default language already did the job) but even with that thank you man.