ronchonbon

Game Developer
Jul 18, 2019
"We're not using any of Oni's code" "In the proces of modding Rogue-Like I rewrote so much code that it bears no resemblence"

Are you dumb or just a scumbag?

No one asks for money on Patreon that's literally how it works so don't act high and might like "I didn't ask for people to do it" You expect some to support you or you wouldn't have made the page for people to be donating now. Nobody here was born yesterday the patreon "Is for your personal coding projects" and you just so happen to "Be making a ripped off game your own way" wow imagine that coincidenece.

This thread isn't only for people who play the game. It's not derailed, it's all relevant to the game and it's creator* I say creator because you started out modding someone else's game as you, yourself admitted. You didn't change the concept, you didn't change the UI really, etc.

I was very excited to see this game, I love X-men, I think there should be waay more X-men, I mad now and won't be playing this because some creator, can't even bother to be original and has to rip off someone else's shit. Then gets defensive as if you're too dumb to understand what you were doing and pretend like it's otherwise. You obviously know coding, you obviously can get good artwork, but you don't seem to have an original creative bone in your body to do your own original thing, SAD.
I don't know what to tell you man. Look at the code and tell me that it looks like Rogue-Like.

I hear what you're saying about the Patreon. I just unlaunched it and cancelled everyone's pledges. I don't want anyone to think that I'm doing this for money.

Other than that, sorry that this has so incensed you. I'm just trying to make something fun.

YoukoKurama

Nov 29, 2017
I don't know what to tell you man. Look at the code and tell me that it looks like Rogue-Like.
You shouldn't even know what Rogue-Like's code looks like if this was "your own thing" period, you did this purposefully because you knew their would be backlash, and it's to protect against potential reprocussions. In all the "legal sense that matters" it's purposefully different. Except the original concept.

Jinp

Jan 17, 2018

I hear what you're saying about the Patreon. I just unlaunched it and cancelled everyone's pledges. I don't want anyone to think that I'm doing this for money.

Other than that, sorry that this has so incensed you. I'm just trying to make something fun.
Don't let the scumbag make you feel bad, just do the game that you like, ONI don't own x-man nor created the trainer genre, this is a pirate forum for god sake someone trying to intimidate you and be a white knight should straight be banned, you could change the game history if you like. But thats its up to you.

andramelech

May 7, 2019
I liked the art in, and concecpt of, Rogue-Like very much, but i havent like the direction it went in for a while.

This game here, lets just call it Like-Rogue-Like, looks promising. I do like the art, its different, some may say better, but mostly its different. Its more of a Demo, contentwise, but ill happily keep my eyes on it and hope there will be more in-depth content, and improved content (not just more, or added characters).

On a technical level its pretty sluggish, after a couple ingame days of playing everything slowed down considerably, all screentransitions and even loading/saving were a mess.

Anyway, thanks to the devs for allowing it on here, and hopefully Oni wont mind. It did strike me as a little strange that his name wasnt mentioned anywhere in the OP

anomynus

Apr 7, 2018
You shouldn't even know what Rogue-Like's code looks like if this was "your own thing" period,
Everybody should see Oni's code. It's art, and it belongs to the Museum of Spagetti in Bologna.

On a serious note, just checking out the original code could be a pointer on what NOT to do, but only if you compared the older, game-breaking releases (fun times).

YoukoKurama

Nov 29, 2017
Don't let the scumbag make you feel bad, just do the game that you like, ONI don't own x-man nor created the trainer genre, this is a pirate forum for god sake someone trying to intimidate you and be a white knight should straight be banned, you could change the game history if you like. But thats its up to you.
It's not about being a white knight. It's not even about piracy. He could have ripped of the game completely and freely if he wanted. However he also made a patreon page. However he also called it "it's own thing" without even having the gall to credit the original concept to the creator. I don't care if he makes an Ron-chon Reskin of Rogue-like but don't call it your own thing, call it a Ron-chon reskin of Rogue-like.

If you want to make it your own thing, now that you built up a team of devs, then make your own thing lmao, don't steal the ui and story and pretend your good.

joehoe

Sep 17, 2018
idc if it's a 'ripoff' or not, i liked rogue-like and i'll like/play this too dang it!

also dev, there will always be ppl criticizing, ignore them cus most just complain to complain and won't be persuaded by your defenses. Focus on the feedback of the users to improve the game

Mar 4, 2020
Damn, I was so excited to get a link to this and everything and see some of the pretty art... And most of you turned this into yet another argument-thing, just like in the Rogue-like comments and in some of the mod threads...
Just... Let the people do the art and the coding and the stuff, OK?
We'd all lose if this project was shut down and silenced again.

Nagozo

Sep 30, 2017
Lmao I guess this thread is teaching us a lot about how controversy is also a great method to generate interest. At least the project won't fly under the radar, at least on this site.

kostello

Aug 3, 2017
GeForce GTX 1080, 8GB ram.

I don't know what's going on, but it's really unplayable at the moment, because I can't even save it, because it stops responding. At the beginning, even slow to load, I can play but then when the 5th day arrives, it simply crashes, neither saving nor closing the game. When the stable version comes out I'll try again.
same here. After 10 minutes the game started to freeze a lot, then just broke. Save file is corrupted.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

captcha69

Apr 12, 2021
dont really give a shit about the UI being similar, specially cause right now it look like garbage and its bugged as fk, dont care too much about the same settings, but, come on, u couldnt write ur own dialogue? a guy with the same power came to the institute and meet Rogue the same way with the same outcome, WITH THE SAME DAMN LINES! u clearly have the knowledge, and more important, the motivation, cause u dont just do this for fun, u wanna made a patreon, do it, but write ur own shit, for the love of god, u have the skills for it, this is just pathetic, Rogue Like is a not a best seller, X men have enough raw material to write something interesting, even if u want to make a game similar to Rogue Like u cant just copy paste the dialogue and say "this is not a rip off" this forum have enough trash games with shitty storys, u wont be able to beat them, so just try to came up with a good idea, or hire a writer, those guys are used to being treated like shit so im sure one of them will work for less that 100 bucks a year... xD

YoukoKurama

Nov 29, 2017
dont really give a shit about the UI being similar, specially cause right now it look like garbage and its bugged as fk, dont care too much about the same settings, but, come on, u couldnt write ur own dialogue? a guy with the same power came to the institute and meet Rogue the same way with the same outcome, WITH THE SAME DAMN LINES! u clearly have the knowledge, and more important, the motivation, cause u dont just do this for fun, u wanna made a patreon, do it, but write ur own shit, for the love of god, u have the skills for it, this is just pathetic, Rogue Like is a not a best seller, X men have enough raw material to write something interesting, even if u want to make a game similar to Rogue Like u cant just copy paste the dialogue and say "this is not a rip off" this forum have enough trash games with shitty storys, u wont be able to beat them, so just try to came up with a good idea, or hire a writer, those guys are used to being treated like shit so im sure one of them will work for less that 100 bucks a year... xD
EXACTLY THIS

4.60 star(s) 134 Votes