VN Ren'Py The Game you want to play

Wasabi777

Game Developer
Aug 18, 2018
Greetings everyone.
I’m new to this forum, but I really love all the VN style Games I’ve seen here and decided to make one of my own. And first of all sorry if this is a wrong section to post it, but I think it is not. Since I see others posting games being developed here as well.

Before I begin to make a game, I decided to gather some info and make a game you would really like to play.

This might sound silly, but I’ve been inspired by so many good games here, that I really would have liked to see some special situations, scenarios, or XXX poses in every game. So I decided to make something based on the majority and make something that you would enjoy to play, but first of all, let me give you some info about me :

So I’m 28 years old and yeah my grammar could seem weird, or with many mistakes, but obvious when English is your second language. Sorry about that. I’m also a college student on a master’s degree, but I decided to make a game because I actually want some more practice in VN type of games. I’m a good storyteller, I have a number of readers, but the stories I write are in the original language, so this will be the first project in the English language, for the info I have about 10 000 readers on my stories. And yes I have experience with c#, 2d game dev and etc.

So let’s keep everything short and I’m gonna make 3 documents, 1st which is explaining what part means what and the second document with a questionnaire. 3rd document just contains info, how much time I need for every step at the start. First of all, I’m making this game using Honey select or other software and Renpy. The game will be divided into 3 parts :

1. Alpha – which indicates that everything made in the game is based on honey select or other similar games/programs. And will be limited with only straightforward even multiple choices are chosen. But later it will have an open world option if this is selected in the questionnaire. For detailed explanations refer to the Development stages Document.
2. Beta – which will include, new gameplay elements like “free-roaming, magic skills(if there will be any), or action skills and many others.
3. Gamma – Fix all of the left issues. This version is playable and almost ready, just not with original animations and art.
4. Final Version - which means that this version will have original animations, models, and everything original.

p.s. The development time depends on :
1. How complex is the game? (which depends on your choices how hard you want me to make the game)
2. Patreon support. (even without support, I plan to finish this game, the only issue will be how fast I will finish this, depends on how much support I will get.)
3. General support, like how many people will be interested in this game.

So to start working on this game it depends on how many people participate in the questionnaire.

Update 11.05.20 - So I see not a lot of replies to the thread. or questionnaire. So i will try that again after starting the development. Eventually, I decided to go with my choices+the choices made in the questionnaire.

1. Multiple choices.
2. either a medium story or small story for now, with XXX scenes. depends on how things go. Well, I still have amazing large stories, but for now, I'm not gonna reveal them. unless I get a good amount of donations. Because good stories need more time and polishing, so need to work full time. So I will have to quit job if I want to achieve it.
3. As for scenario, I think I will combine school+adult life. Something like a newly graduated from school. The zombie apocalypse is a huge project, so, for now, I will be focusing on modern life + maybe some "powers".
4. People really like this "family relationship idea", so I will be including that and some other things, So eventually this will be a Harem.
5. So most people chose "no map, no roaming". Hmmm.... I will think about this during the development process. I will make a questionnaire again later and ask people if you want to have a map or not. Personally, I prefer map, because it's more fun like this and needs time to think about choices and etc, but harder to develop at some point.
6. Mostly everything will be included all the kinks and fetishes, but Woah, somebody actually wants a shemale/ Futa. okay, let's make 1 tough girl with a D or maybe an extremely shy one. i don't know, i guess it will be fun :D
7. The beginning of development will be kinda slow at the start, but depends on how the situation goes, i can make it faster. I'm having some hardware issues atm, that's one of the reasons i wrote i will start development after 1 month.

Short Overview: it's a fun process to make a Game, So I decided to go with it. I will make a separate post after i start development and first prototype release will be V0.0.0.1 alpha. Which will basically be like an intro what I'm making. which will be something like a trailer. The game itself will only have like main menu, intro (which will either be a video or a small story) and that's it.

So how long will it take? i will need at least 1 month to release the first 0.0.0.1 version because i need to pick and correct the story. adjust to preferences

Last edited:

hiya02

Oct 14, 2019
Hello and welcome! While there are countless VNs out there, personally I think many of them are little more than just simple on-rails KNs (clicking simulators) with way too little for the player(reader?) to do or affect the story.

1. Multiple choices, obviously. Otherwise you can't really call it a game.
2. I enjoy a good balance between the story and the xxx scenes.
3. I don't really see zombies and the like necessary.
4. Personally I greatly prefer multiple endings and choices, but I do understand that it requires a LOT more time, sweat and effort to implement.
5. Free roam. It is simply so much more satisfying to be able to choose what to do, where to go, who to pursue, rather than being hardlocked to follow just a simple, on-rails story with no real branching or way to affect the world. But again, building a more open world is a huge time sink compared to a more traditional VN, where player is just lead from one event to another in a fixed order. But when done well, an open world has just so much more potential and makes the conventional VNs look limited and lacking. Still, I wouldn't suggest trying to make your first game an open world project as it can become an overwhelming task. But if you already have earlier experience of being a game dev, then there is no reason to limit yourself to a single-end story.
6. If there are enough variations, then I don't see this as important.

Last edited:

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
Before I begin to make a game, I decided to gather some info and make a game you would really like to play.
Make one you would really like to play. If you try and please other people you will just get nowhere. If you like midget nuns having sex with hermaphrodite aliens well that's what you should do.

Wasabi777

Game Developer
Aug 18, 2018
hiya02
well on 1st, 2nd those are my preferences because on-rail stories are kinda boring. as for 3rd task, I have multiple half-baked stories, so I will go with what most people choose.
For example, I have a zombie-themed story and originally it isn't even a XXX game, but I can rewrite it to make it so, like who wouldn't want to have fun like their last wish before dying. or repopulate humanity :D
another example, I'm started writing a game story, which was supposed to be made after the successful launch of Kickstarter, but because of lack of needed materials, i couldn't;t launch it. well actual 3d Games take a looooot more time and experience, 1 person can't do it, and you need a good team. which unfortunately i couldn't gather. The game itself actually would have adult mod, so already XXX part was implemented in the story.

But what i meant by the half-baked story is that the first story had 10 chapters, the second had 5 chapters. each chapter is like 30-minute gameplay in actual 3D gameplay. in VN it would have been like 10-15 min gameplay.

While i also have other stories, and probably the largest one is 30 chapters completed. if there was an anime about it, it would have been 24 episodes.

Free roam + open world on 3D Game is hard as hell. i can give an example - 200ha sized real park made into a game, programming of a pond, fountain, benches, environment, lighting and etc. only the programming part took me 1 month. So since now, we are talking about VN style game, it will be extremely limited because i want to port it to android later.

What will limited open-world include? example, there is a map you click on "go to the city", after that you have an image with choices where you want to enter "cafe", "pet shop" and etc. when you enter the pet shop for example, either you will have an option to free roam inside there, or again clickable places, for example, go to kittens and there will be animations with kittens, you can interact with them with options (feed them, play with them, pat them).

So that's why it is extremely complicated and will take a lot of time.

mickydoo i have many options to choose from. I want to make all of them TBH, but i would like people to decide which one will be the first.