Unity The Demon King's Harem

MajorDOT

Apr 3, 2018
Background004.png

Title: The Demon King's Harem
Developer: Majoria Productions (MajorDOT)
Developer's website:
Developer's Patreon:
Language: English
Cover Image: See Above. Will update as new characters become available to the public.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
In "The Demon King's Harem" aka TDKH you play as the future Demon King. In this game you will deal with a visual novel style game built in Unity from the ground up. This game will hook into Patreon to provide patrons with bonus content such as earlier releases, custom patches, cheats, etc. I plan for there to be a combat system, romance system, and multiple endings based on what you accomplished during your time in school. This game will take heavy inspiration from anime and themes found in anime.

The game is currently in pre-alpha development as most gameplay features have not been fully developed. Once the game reaches a suitable state for alpha a technical demo will be released to gain feedback and confirm the future of the game. Once I am satisfied with the state of the game I will release it on Patreon with monthly builds. Once the main gameplay is finished and there are at least three endings I will move the game into beta phase where the releases will be bi-weekly as the final work is put into the game and the edges are tidied up.

Censorship: Optional. By default there will be censorship, but you can toggle this off in the options.
Version: Pre-Alpha 1.0
Language: English

Reactions: Saki_Sliz

MajorDOT

Apr 3, 2018
Combat Style~

I'm interested in gathering feedback regarding combat styles and what you guys feel would work best.
Currently I have an idea of three potential combat styles:
1) Turn Based Style
2) Hearthstone Style
3) Slay the Spire Style

Starting with the Turn Based style combat.With this combat style the player and enemies would be visible on the screen. The protagonist would have attacks based on what weapon type they have equipped. IE: If the MC has a grimoire they will have magical based attacks and have access to magic spells. If the MC has a sword equipped they will have physical based attacks and have access to sword skills.

The upside to this combat style is it allows the player to strategically choose fighting styles based on what opponent they are fighting. It also allows for beautiful combat scenes using animations. I could look into the possibility of clothing being ripped as combat goes on as well.

The downsides to this combat style is the time it takes to render and convert the animations then display them in-game. Currently it takes around 5-10 minutes depending on the animation to fully render and convert the sample attacks I have attached. Another downside is the lore perspective of this fighting style does not make much sense. The protagonist is described to have already mastered his training to become a Demon King, but still requires general knowledge from school. This fighting style makes it to where the progression would mean the protagonist still had more to learn. This also removes the opportunity for monsters to be used as enemies. The character's choice in fighting style would also be limited to a few types and the animations would end up being slightly repetitive. The final downside for this one is the rigidness of the animations. As can be seen in the Magical Block sample animation the character snaps at a certain frame. Since I have very limited animation knowledge in CharaStudio at this moment in time I'm unable to fix those kinds of issues.

Moving on to the Hearthstone style combat. This would allow combat to be based around a 'combat deck' the player could improve over time. Within this combat style there are a few paths that could be taken. For example... It could follow a strict Hearthstone style where the protagonist is fighting a major enemy who has minions under them and you fight those minions to take on the major enemy, It could follow a pure minion fighting style where you take on multiple weaker monsters/people and defeat them all to win, or a mixture of the two where the player has some fights where they are taking on a Major enemy that might have minions or just fighting pure minion battles.

The upside to this fighting style first off is the fact that it's lore friendly. The player can start off with a few servants under his family and a slew of spell cards that would allow the player to attack using the protagonist's demonic powers. Over time the player would be able to accumulate artifacts that grant him new abilities or minions that he could send to the field to attack the enemy directly. This would allow for strategic battles that evolve over time. This combat style also allows for simple art that can be produced much quicker. There is potential for a hard-mode where your minions keep damage between battle and if they die they are unusable for the next battle until you heal your team (Sleeping or something?).

The downside to this fighting style would be more development time designated to AI development as minions would be introduced. The battles would be longer and require more thinking. Art would be simple and not that pretty to look at. A lot of work would be put into animations/effects to make up for that. Player would be unable to have multiple 'heroes' on his team.

The final combat style is the Slay the Spire combat style. Like the hearthstone combat style this one would also be lore friendly, but not to the same extent. While you would be unable to improve your army's size in a visible matter you could gather powerful artifacts or maybe siphon your enemies strength upon slaying them. This combat style would be a middle ground between turn based and hearthstone in terms of art as the enemies would be a 2d rendering of the enemies. I could look into using monsters as enemies, but keeping a consistent art style would prove difficult.

The upside of this combat style would be the simplicity of the fighting style itself. Prepare for enemy attacks while dishing out attacks and building up a play-style as you progress through the game. This would require the least amount of programming work as well. This one is kinda lore-friendly. The battles would be over quickly, but a few might take a bit of time giving a sense of epic-ness to boss fights. Most fights would not require that much strategy, but boss fights would - further leading to that sense of an epic battle.

The downside to this combat style is that it's not entirely lore friendly. It's also harder to implement monsters in a good way. The combat would eventually become repetitive as this one would require the least amount of strategy. Unprepared players will get destroyed by bosses which might make it feel confusing and stressful.

There are more upsides and downsides to each battle style that I didn't list because I can't think of any more off the top of my head. I'm interested in hearing what you guys feel about these combat styles and which you guys feel will be the best.

You can vote on a battle style on my by following that link or on by following that link.

I personally think the Hearthstone style combat would be the best because it would work the best lore wise. What do you guys think? Poll will be open for one week.

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
I agree, the hearthstone style seems best, as I get a lot of information quickly, and I like the flavor (the extra content that explains the spell a bit, ie the images)

This game will hook into Patreon to provide patrons with bonus content such as earlier releases, custom patches, cheats, etc.
How do you plan to do that? From what I've tried, unity's url api is very very limited and simple (at least 2 years ago it was, been a lot of new updates since then), you will most certainly have to make new code to send url commands. I myself had to create a completely different program in java to handle the url requests. getting unity to open up this program automatically is easy enough, but to hook into each other was an async nightmare (unity doesn't properly handle async), then after that, the way patreon wants you to handle it is to have he game contact your own personal server, it provides a key (the server is logged into your account or something, something you wouldn't be able to code into the game), and then sends the request and the key to patreon to check. I had to stop with the server issues simply because I couldn't put up a big enough server to handle all the requests.

Your posts seem pretty to the point and clean, but the project seemed rather large so I was double-checking your background and all I could really find was that you say you have about 4 years of project experience. but other than that it seems like your fairly familiar with honey select and art making with it.

MajorDOT

Apr 3, 2018
Thank you for your reply Saki.
As for the Patreon authentication it's handled through my website and the client sends/requests information from my website.
The process is broken down somewhat on both my Patreon and my website, but you can quickly read up on it .
I was double-checking your background and all I could really find was that you say you have about 4 years of project experience. but other than that it seems like your fairly familiar with honey select and art making with it.
I use Koikatsu in conjunction with CharaStudio. I also have AI Shoujo, but currently have no plans on using that for the project.
In terms of the four years of experience - I've spent around 4 years self teaching with micro-projects. What I mean by this is non-fruitful projects whom sole purpose was to allow me to learn different areas of code. For example I've made websites, discord bots, functional systems, and more. These micro-projects eventually died out as they accomplished their individual goals. Unfortunately this does mean I don't have a portfolio, but I can promise I won't give up on this project. Once I set a goal I finish it. The only reason the micro-projects died out is because I accomplished the visioned goals.

I hope that answers the questions and clears up any confusions. :D

Postscript:
A funny thing about the Patreon OAuth is I actually created a client as well as a server to have the server connect to Patreon though headers, but then I found out Patreon required a manual sign in and does not allow for C# game clients to hook into it. So I had to scrap the server idea and now I have a Webserver to screw around on for the remainder of the month haha.

Last edited:

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
just spent a few minutes relearning how their system worked again. Yeah, it looks like they changed things, and the way you have it implemented seems to be the right way. probably saving a key that matches what your server has and the game has per account, and putting a 1-month timer being the only way make it easy for users to have their game remember them, before they need to re enter. last time I looked at this was 2 years ago, I was suprised that the wasn't C# support, but then, that is probably why I wrote mine in java now that I think about it. maybe I was going to try a similar approach to what you did, but I don't have a server. I'm one of those people who would rather spend more money to build one than to rent one each month or so.

Unfortunately this does mean I don't have a portfolio, but I can promise I won't give up on this project. Once I set a goal I finish it.
well I wish you luck, I'm more on a very slow burn myself with some projects.

MajorDOT

Apr 3, 2018
Update:
I have produced a video showcasing the Patreon Authentication process for all those interested in how that will look. The design of the feature is not 100% set in stone. All things being shown in the video are pre-alpha and should not be representative of the final product.

Responses:
Thank you for the luck Saki~
I was also suprised to find the lack of support for C#, but I guess it kind of makes since since it looks for a place to redirect the player. Technically you could set up a javascript localhost return point that does the processing, but it would produce security issues with people being able to crack the patreon auth system far easier.

Last edited:

MajorDOT

Apr 3, 2018
Update:
1601715163179.png
- New main menu button layout.
- Save Library implemented. Hand crafted and currently supporting up to 10 save files.
- Global Event Manager implemented. Handling things like timers, major events, etc.
- Patreon system re-worked internally. No longer attached to a single script, but is library based allowing for access from multiple scripts. This will allow for validation calls as well as logins from other locations.
- Work on 3rd girl started.

Information on the Save Library:
- Saves will be able to be deleted from the main menu.
- Up to 10 save files can be used.
- Save files will include all player information, all girl information, quest statuses, current dialogue, current location, & more.
- Saves will be created upon starting the game.
- Game will auto save every so often and will have option to manually save at any time.

MajorDOT

Apr 3, 2018
Update:

New GUI & GUI Layout. New Patreon login page including current patron status if logged in.
Note: Patreon color scheme only shown on Patreon login screens.
Excerpt from Patreon post:
Now for the other half of the update which will be for the game's code.
I am currently in process of re-writing a few of the systems including:
Patreon authentication, Sceen/Window/Popup display, and Auth handling.

The reason I'm re-writing these systems is because when I took a look at how they functioned and how they would function in the future it seems unsuitable and not that great for long term scaling. I have modified these systems with scalability and modability in mind. These changes will prevent quite a few major hurdles that would have probably been encountered in the future. These changes while simple now could have taken days in the future to change.

Whats in the near future?
Release of girl three, Rework of girl one and two (After you see girl three you will understand), Implementation of options menu. Scalability testing for save system, and more~
I'm currently waiting on some assets to be made. Once they are finished being made by the modeler and artist I will give you guys another update showing the progress at that point :D

Last edited: