• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

HTML Suggestion: Please make HTML-based start with index.html.

xcvista

May 19, 2020
As the title suggest, I am suggesting that the landing page of an HTML game should always be index.html (or index.htm if you need 8.3 conformity.) This would make the game a proper website, making deployments much easier. And yes I do deploy the HTML games before playing. Since I put most of my downloads on a storage server with a Web interface for access, HTML games often ended up being deployed on it (instead of simply be stored as files) under addresses like http://10.22.144.2/apps/name-of-your-game/. This allows me to play HTML based games on my iPad.

How do you guys think, playing HTML games as deployed websites, and pleading creators to follow that use case?

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Why don't you just rename it to index.html yourself?

xcvista

May 19, 2020
Why don't you just rename it to index.html yourself?
Some games have scripts that references the landing page address, making it non-renameable. So it is either avoid coding landing page name in any scripts, or keep it index.html.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Some games have scripts that references the landing page address, making it non-renameable. So it is either avoid coding landing page name in any scripts, or keep it index.html.
Then just open the html-file and rename all references.

xcvista

May 19, 2020
Then just open the html-file and rename all references.
Just try to read a minified Javascript file and you will see that is virtually undoable. Page references an even be calculated, which requires a full debugger to find out.