Fury945

Mar 5, 2018
Did you put the mod in the right place? Overwrite the base file, don't put it in the mod folder. I did not modify line 16 of the file, and the mod has been running fine for me. You aren't trying to use it on Mac, are you?
I was getting that error on pc and with having replaced the original file

D

Deleted member 7072

I was getting that error on pc and with having replaced the original file
Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit? I made this for 64 bit, it is possible there is a difference between version with this file

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
Having a Windows 64bit build for such a small game is pointless since there is no advantage other than the additional resources wasted and the "publicity" of having one, unless the product is making very heavy calculations or need more than 2GB of RAM there are very few good reasons to have a 64bit build at all...

P.S. If you think I'm wrong please educate me on the subject.

KapitanDupa

Aug 5, 2016
Nope, you are right. Also notice the game is written in Python so any performance concerns are questionable.

On the other hand I'm surprised there are still people with 32bits PCs.

brynhildr

Compulsive Gambler
Jun 2, 2017
Having a Windows 64bit build for such a small game is pointless since there is no advantage other than the additional resources wasted and the "publicity" of having one, unless the product is making very heavy calculations or need more than 2GB of RAM there are very few good reasons to have a 64bit build at all...

Well.. maybe because most of the people have a 64bit system? I can't talk about how the game is made because I don't know nothing, so I'm talking purely about the "common sense" since these days like Kapitan above said, there are less and less people that have a 32bit system.

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
Actually the game is written on .
Also the architecture of the CPU is irrelevant in this case because the game won't take advantage of the 64bit CPU features. In fact it will use less resources when running the 32bit version on 64bit CPU then when running the 64bit version on the same processor which makes the 64bit version of the game pointless. The same is true for most programs that can't take advantage of the 64bit instructions but have a 64bit version...

On the other hand I'm surprised there are still people with 32bits PCs.
I still have a working 16bit PC and can get my hands on a 8bit antique with tape recorder as input :D Also don't forget the VM systems - what's the point of running a 64bit one if a 32bit one will do the job without wasting extra resources. And let's not forget the legacy software that can't run on Windows 7 or newer ...

KapitanDupa

Aug 5, 2016
@gue5t I meant "I'm surprised people are playing games on 32bit PCs" or "use 32 bits in home". I'm aware of professional uses where x64 is an overkill.

CodeMonkey

May 31, 2017
@gue5t I meant "I'm surprised people are playing games on 32bit PCs" or "use 32 bits in home". I'm aware of professional uses where x64 is an overkill.
you'd be hard pressed to find a single core processor nowadays but there's are some reasons 32 bits is still the go to standard for software. also to quote someone smarter then I. "3D graphic programs and games do not benefit much, if at all, from switching to a 64-bit computer, unless the program is a 64-bit program. A 32-bit processor is adequate for any program written for a 32-bit processor. In the case of computer games, you'll get a lot more performance by upgrading the instead of getting a 64-bit processor." so effectively if you have a decent video card and ram you can free up some processing power by running a 32 bit program over a 64 bit program.

well more so the case for games that are not hardware intensive. also there are lot of small form factor computers that require 32bit (mostly Raspberry pi competitors.)

applesauce

Aug 21, 2016
uh you might want to check that file a little closer, I tried running the game with it and it gave me this error

SCRIPT ERROR: GDScript::reload: Parse Error: Parse Error: Unknown character
At: res://files/scripts/mainmenu.gd:16
ERROR: GDScript::reload: Method/Function Failed, returning: ERR_PARSE_ERROR
At: modules\gdscript\gd_script.cpp:507
I had this same experience, if I extract the game it functions before overwriting the mainmenu.gd with the modded mianmenu.gd and afterwards it cannot proceed past the warning screen.
If you press Confirm you get ERROR: Object::emit_signal: Error calling method from signal 'pressed': 'Control
(mainmenu.gd)::_onwarning_confirm_pressed': Method not found.

There may be confusion involved in what version would be compatible with the mod? If I open up the original vs the modded file there are actually a lot of differences in areas I wouldn't have expected.
Here is an example of one such unexpected change.
upload_2018-3-27_1-19-57.png
Left is modded, right is original.

This difference of set.hidden(false) vs .visible = true (and vise versa) seems pervasive in the document, among other similar syntax type changes.

(I believe) I was able to achieve the goal of the mod by doing find and replaces of:
"player.beautybase = 40" -> "player.beautybase = 100"
"startslave.beautybase = 40" -> "startslave.beautybase = 100"
"Foster " -> ""
(ignore quotes)

Highlighting differences in the files via your mod showed me exactly where to look for these variables, so I genuinely thank you for sharing your file and the idea even if in my case it didn't function as intended "out of the box".

KapitanDupa

Aug 5, 2016
In the case of computer games, you'll get a lot more performance by upgrading the instead of getting a 64-bit processor.
Sure, I know the difference between both architectures. I just wonder what is the purpose of installing 32bit OS nowadays when x64 gets you exactly the same plus you can pump 64bit apps with data about few gigs limit which from time to time actually happens.

Anyway remember we are talking about 32 vs 64 release of simple game written in python, there is no way Strive offloads any operations to GPU other than textures blitting. This game gets literally nothing from x64 arch so keeping both versions is imho pointless. Personally I'd go with x64 because installing 32bits cross-compiler is always a pain, but maybe with Gotod this is easier or something.

gue5t

Sep 11, 2016
Sure, I know the difference between both architectures. I just wonder what is the purpose of installing 32bit OS nowadays when x64 gets you exactly the same plus you can pump 64bit apps with data about few gigs limit which from time to time actually happens.

Anyway remember we are talking about 32 vs 64 release of simple game written in python, there is no way Strive offloads any operations to GPU other than textures blitting. This game gets literally nothing from x64 arch so keeping both versions is imho pointless. Personally I'd go with x64 because installing 32bits cross-compiler is always a pain, but maybe with Gotod this is easier or something.
Can I ask what is you're IT background because from you're comment it seems to be far away from development or programing.

OS wise there is no reason to go the 32bit way if you have a powerful enough system and more then enough reasons if you don't because the 64bit architecture have it's own drawbacks - for example it needs 50% more resources compared to the 32bit version. As in: if with 32bit OS installed it takes 2/4 of the resources available on the system with the 64bit one it will take 3/4 of them.
Program wise unless you are in need of massive amount's of data or very big numbers crunched there is no point in going the 64bit way even on 64bit OS+HW - for example programs that benefit from 64bit programing code are browsers, CAD/CAM, 3D design&render, BIG Games (understand games that have 20GB+ install files and lazy developers who don't care enough to optimized them), servers and DB's. And the reason for that is that just by compiling the app for 64bit it needs much more resources than a 32bit version and unless it can take advantage of the extra resources or features that's a lot of wasted resources in my opinion. And let's not forget that everyone can run the 32bit version but with the 64bit one you are loosing part of the users because they can't start it or don't have the extra resources it needs in order to run smoothly.

As for Strive (no Python involved at all, it's C++ based) the have all the necessary files and libraries precompiled (like Python) and ATM it needs OpenGL ES 3.0 as minimum... after all it's main target audience is "nonprofesional developers making 2D&3D platformers" according to it's authors. And the author of the game made a very big mistake in adopting the new version of the engine so early in my opinion ...

KapitanDupa

Aug 5, 2016
@gue5t, I'm just a regular developer.

Anyway what are drawbacks of installing 64 bits OS? I really can't think of any.

Also Strive archive for x64 is 3 megs larger than 32 (I presume both have the same content), is this really "much more"? The only difference is pointer size, but it doesn't change performance, only RAM usage is slightly higher.

CodeMonkey

May 31, 2017

dunno in all honesty I've ran both versions and really didn't notice much of a difference on my machine, and most software is still x86, few things actually make use of x64, so is there a purpose? not really unless you are trying to hit markets like russia which is still predominantly Windows Xp. in terms of world wide wise it's better to have a x86 version running around then an x64, after all this isn't the early days of computer where there were was no uniformity and different COBOL based systems would have their own coding so you either needed to be taught by the coder or have all their notes. funny enough some world banks still have systems running on COBOL cause they can't figure out how to seamlessly switch over.

EDIT: I was calling COBOL, Cobalt. which is a bad habit of mine, please don't get confused thinking I was referencing Open Cobalt which is something different entirely.

Waaifu

Furry Gamer
Uploader
Donor
Aug 6, 2016
I used the 64-bit version for the portraits and the bodies as it would crash every time it tries to load them with the 32-bit version.

D

Deleted member 7072

(I believe) I was able to achieve the goal of the mod by doing find and replaces of:
"player.beautybase = 40" -> "player.beautybase = 100"
"startslave.beautybase = 40" -> "startslave.beautybase = 100"
"Foster " -> ""

Highlighting differences in the files via your mod showed me exactly where to look for these variables, so I genuinely thank you for sharing your file and the idea even if in my case it didn't function as intended "out of the box".
Yes, all I changed was all instances of beautybase to 100, removed the if/else statement to add "Foster", and changed the array the race options is populated from so you can pick anything. I made it for version 0.5.6a which is publicly available at .
What version were you guys trying to use it with?
Downloading a fresh version now to test if it works, the creator may have re-uploaded with changes
Edit: Works absolutely fine with the public 64 bit download from itch.io, even downloaded my own upload to verify I made no further changes.

Reactions: applesauce

KapitanDupa

Aug 5, 2016
funny enough some world banks still have systems running on COBOL cause they can't figure out how to seamlessly switch over.
Well, i was really surprised that investment banks are really cutting edge of IT. Adoption of new technologies is really rapid compared to other industries. I've seen old software in other branches - energy, military but banks are paying big money to have new systems. Of course COBOL is there as well, but new projects are really fun to play with.

Anyway I did small benchmark, I used System.Numerics.Vectors from .Net framework which uses SIMD for performing various activities. Code is below, probably this can be done better but meh. Anyway on my box this is 470ms for x64 vs 1200ms for x86, difference is massive thanks to more registers available for x64-optimized code. NB I'm pretty surprised by this result, I thought difference would be like 20% max. Hope I didn't fuck something in this benchmark.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Mordryd

Jun 3, 2017
I'm having an issue buying the portal stones, it says 500g I have more than that, and it's not letting me buy them

4.30 star(s) 46 Votes