4.60 star(s) 41 Votes

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
:O
is this legal ?
i mean, yeah, fan art, parody blablabla... but... its still just ripped off content from SourceFilmaker.. and on top of that, he use the exact same names.

hope LiS devs will not find that or its game over.

Umaru-chan

Aug 12, 2016
Looks good! About 5-10 mins of a game right now but could be awesome in like a year (if it doesnt get abandonned)

Reactions: LocJaw

lexxus

Oct 18, 2016
Life is strange was basically a playable indie movie complete with a very mood setting soundtrack. Not easy to get a fap out of!

But I applaud your effort, though, one criticism I have is one of Life is Strange greatest selling points is the constant pop-culture reference peppered through out the back drop, I think the dev here misses a golden opportunity to add some of his own.

kansasdude

Sep 13, 2017
is this legal ?
i mean, yeah, fan art, parody blablabla... but... its still just ripped off content from SourceFilmaker.. and on top of that, he use the exact same names.

I also wonder the same thing

LocJaw

Strange Nights
Game Developer
Jun 4, 2018
is this legal ?
I did some research on the matter (because a lawsuit is the last thing I need in my life right now) and it should fall under fair use, considering it's a free parody game. Hopefully there won't be any trouble.

How did rendered pictures like these? It's really professional.
Basic Source Filmmaker renders and some serious amounts of photoshop post-processing. Not a fast way of doing things but I think it's worth it in the long run. I kinda wanted to keep the whole comic like / painterly style of the games.

doublezero

Dec 15, 2017
I did some research on the matter (because a lawsuit is the last thing I need in my life right now) and it should fall under fair use, considering it's a free parody game. Hopefully there won't be any trouble.

Basic Source Filmmaker renders and some serious amounts of photoshop post-processing. Not a fast way of doing things but I think it's worth it in the long run. I kinda wanted to keep the whole comic like / painterly style of the games.
I think you'll be ok as long as you follow Akabur's example. Emphasize that this si a free game and that you are not charging anyone to play it. You are only accepting donations for anyone who is interested in supporting your efforts. Anything blocked behind a paywall are unpolished and still being tested but are in playable condition thus you release them early for patrons.

I doubt Dontnod is gonna come after you for a copyright violation but...well...it IS a relatively young publisher so...who knows? You'll probably have more trouble with Square Enix.

"Square Enix. Because fuck you guys."

Renetta

Jan 30, 2018
Finally one of the SFM guys put's his skill to work and created a game :heartcoveredeyes:

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016

well i know about the parody thing. but in most parody, they tend to use a slightly different things from the original. sometime the names are small different, sometime the places/world etc..
a complete perfect copy is not a parody ( well, i think).

but thats up to the dev. imho doing this also help them to spread the game. maybe some peoples who going to play this gonna say " oh ! so thats LiS ? interresting, i m gonna test the original game" :)

Reactions: duane71 and LocJaw
4.60 star(s) 41 Votes