3.80 star(s) 57 Votes
Apr 7, 2019
Well, that's been standard for him for literally like 10 years.
Haha, Akabur does have a deserved reputation for developing at a snail's pace. That said, he does have a good track record of actually completing polished games that are games and not visual novels. Many developers (though certainly not all) never cleanly finish the second game if they even make it through the first. And he does have a good sense of humor in his games and good English to boot. But as you kinda said, souldead341, he only moves at one speed and that not quick :)

JasNom

Jan 28, 2018
It's so annoying to r
its been 2.5 years that's not a break that's practically retirement. He posts more than most active devs but the amount of work he does for close over 4k a month is laughable.
A lot of his fans are following Akabur for more than 10 years now. Some of his fans are also successful devs today and many more got inspired by him or even copied over his work or based their ongoing mods on his games. Akabur is also helping out with drawings in other projects than his own. Also when he started his Patreon also somewhere like 10 years ago, a lot of people followed in his footsteps after they noticed how he was using Patreon to make money with his games. Something you should also consider is, that you can download and play all of his games without the need to join his Patreon or to rely on a piracy site, Patreon is a deliberate choice to support him.

Akabur's success goes back a long way, starting with little pictures he was drawing for a paid site, which barely made him any money. Magic Shop as his first project was a way to show off his pictures in singles or sequences with a little backstory combined with music and sound effects and there it began when he added princess trainer in it's very first version as a feature of Magic Shop. Between 2016 and 2020 he would stream on Picarto.TV from time to time, discussing stuff with his fans while drawing. Later he had a forum running. Today you can join his Discord Channel to talk to his fans. Personally I noticed Akabur's work when the first standalone Version of Princess Trainer was released. Unfortunately I my oldest version stand-alone version I've archived is 1.02 which is also still my favorite, where Lola is still allowed to drag Jasmin around the streets, naked, which he removed from his gold version later, I think because of the slighly non-consensual tone that event had.

Anyway, if you talk about Akabur fans and ask yourself why they still paying him 4k a month altogether and not give the money to you or a dev you deem more worthy, then understand that many of his fans are genuine fans of Akabur himself due to his work and him as a person and do not value him by how many updates he makes per week or month.

F1forhalp

SOTD: Cardigans - Erase / Rewind
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
after all it's a patronage. they don't pay him for anything 'ordered work', there's no obligation on either side. any subscriber of his patreon is free stay or leave, to toss a coin or stop sending money, by their own choice..
well minus the roadblocks patreon generates when you want to immediately stop something but whoever still supports anything on that platform, might know about those. it's one reason why i left patreon altogether, never to look back.

in short, people give him money for reasons, and he doesn't have to do a thing. still he does, at his pace, and at the end ot SC34 he himself posted about it ending there, with 'some day' possibly a sequel but he also back then already announced to do something else.

also, mind you, he still does hand drawing, pen&paper, which in itself takes more time than CG.

johndoe314

Aug 10, 2017
Pretty sure that is the case, since he was never good at communicating, and with the war over there, things have to be hard. Even still, you can look at his youtube, and see some of the less old stuff there.
Over there? Where is he at? I wasn't sure where he was based out of o.o

zarqupang

Forum Fanatic
Nov 2, 2017
ok i thought this was his game because they us his name in it.
Tamas Awakening [v1.0b] [Whiteleaf Studio]

zarqupang

Forum Fanatic
Nov 2, 2017
the character even looks like gen in his magic clock lol. that's why it through me off. i would say try it and see but that's up to yall.

3.80 star(s) 57 Votes