Some random renders

BubbaBubbawee

Apr 29, 2017
I have two cards - 980Ti and Titan Xp. Better cards give you just faster rendering tho', they don't contribute to the quality. The only case in which a weaker GPU can be a handicap, is when you have complex scenes (with multiple characters and props) and you go beyond the video RAM capacity of your card.

Also, like @toolkitxx mentioned, I do some postwork to the renders. Nothing fancy - brightness correction, sharpness and often a color filter with NIK Collection. Here's the clean render of the image above, if you're interested in seeing the difference:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Would you be willing to share how you set up your lighting for your renders? I realize you may not have time for an in depth response, but I am trying to refine my skills in Daz, and I like to try to listen to as many other artists' tips and tricks as I can.

stoper

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
@BubbaBubbawee , there's no magical recipe, really. The lighting is different for pretty much every scene.

That image above is rendered with just an HDRI lighting and a single mesh light to the left of the camera:
sc1-light.jpg

Using the same character, but in an indoor setting (you can see the final image on my DeviantArt page:
sc2-light.jpg
The HDRI is pretty much useless for indoor shots, because the walls block it. So I have 4 lights here - 3 mesh lights and 1 point light. 2 of the mesh lights are Ghost lights from (invisible mesh lights) so the planes are not visible in the scene. There are also several mesh lights on the ceiling (the lamps).

All these are pretty much default setup. Both render settings and lights' properties.

The general ruse is that mesh lights produce softer shadows, especially of the plane (or sphere, or whatever) is big. Point lights make sharper shadows.
Lighting is also just a part of a render. The materials are as important, if not even more.

BubbaBubbawee

Apr 29, 2017
@BubbaBubbawee , there's no magical recipe, really. The lighting is different for pretty much every scene.

That image above is rendered with just an HDRI lighting and a single mesh light to the left of the camera:
View attachment 10178

Using the same character, but in an indoor setting (you can see the final image on my DeviantArt page:
View attachment 10179
The HDRI is pretty much useless for indoor shots, because the walls block it. So I have 4 lights here - 3 mesh lights and 1 point light. 2 of the mesh lights are Ghost lights from (invisible mesh lights) so the planes are not visible in the scene. There are also several mesh lights on the ceiling (the lamps).

All these are pretty much default setup. Both render settings and lights' properties.

The general ruse is that mesh lights produce softer shadows, especially of the plane (or sphere, or whatever) is big. Point lights make sharper shadows.
Lighting is also just a part of a render. The materials are as important, if not even more.
Alright, here's one of my first renders with those tips, and one of my first in general. What do you think?
Trisha Beach Iray.jpg

Reactions: Bakachan

stoper

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
@BubbaBubbawee , a good start. Try working on the skin shader - go to the Surface tab and experiment with the Glossy properties for the skin surfaces. Also experiment with different HDRIs, the result can vary greatly. You can also use a simple plane as a reflector, just like in photography.

BubbaBubbawee

Apr 29, 2017
@BubbaBubbawee , a good start. Try working on the skin shader - go to the Surface tab and experiment with the Glossy properties for the skin surfaces. Also experiment with different HDRIs, the result can vary greatly. You can also use a simple plane as a reflector, just like in photography.
Thank you for the tips, they really are appreciated. Here is another with your tips implemented, does it look any better?
Trisha Photoshoot 1 Edit.jpg

Bakachan

May 30, 2017
Nice to see people in the community posting more work, I did try and paste some of my own in but didn't seem to work maybe some strange voodoo PixIV does but I linked some in my signature instead

Reactions: stoper

Bakachan

May 30, 2017
@Bakachan , quality work, mate. I really like how well you posed the hair on that second picture. Kudos.
Cheers :happyblush yeah drives me mad leaving hair on my ladies static, same with breasts as well. I always try and get that tilt and hang in there on them titties :heartcoveredeyes:....working on getting deformers sorted atm to get some weight in the bed or couch a characters posed on. That drives me mad too seeing characters posed on a bed laying back balanced on the base of their ass cheeks like they are made of steel on a solid surface. I'm guilty of that in the cyborg image, really wanna get their weight sank into that bed next time I render that out...thanks again tho mate for the kind words

stoper

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
@Bakachan , the deformers are very easy to use, but a little time consuming. GoZ is much more precise and fast solution, if you have ZBrush.

Bakachan

May 30, 2017
@Bakachan , the deformers are very easy to use, but a little time consuming. GoZ is much more precise and fast solution, if you have ZBrush.
Nice one thanks for the tip never really thought of using it to detail props only ever used it on characters, win!!